Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Total Linux Ubuntu noob here. Halp D:

So, I downloaded it, and installed it. Works totally fine, but... how do I get application I installed onto Windows onto Linux? (IE, WoW, Google Chrome, etc.)

10+ Year Old Account
    google chrome has a native linux port don't bother using the windows version
    use the package manager thingy to download chrome and wine so you can play wow
    also make sure to install latest video drivers also i highly recommend copying wow from either a network share or windows partition vs trying to install it by dvd or the downloader client
    Last edited by lockblock; 2011-05-30 at 08:56 AM.

What above guy said, first thing you should do is update everything.

I think you have to use the terminal to install wow, something like: sudo apt-get install.

But I haven't done anything from a cd, only web based items.

Deleted
    For WoW on Linux: http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warc...nality_on_Wine

Basically, if you are wanting to run your Windows Programs on Linux, just don't. Boot back over to Windows and use them there. There are also native versions of a lot of programs on Linux (like the 2nd post said, chrome).
    Last edited by mmoc05c338f655; 2011-05-30 at 12:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow does not support linux,

i wish there was a giant warning sign in red on the ubuntu site that said "WARNING: NOTHING YOU WANT TO USE IS COMPATIBLE WITH LINUX"

i think this hate i have of linux comes not from the OS itself, but from the computers i end up fixing because someone wanted to try linux and now doesnt understand why they cant run msword

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    wow does not support linux,
    Wow works fine under linux, been playing it under Ubuntu for ages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penric View Post
    Wow works fine under linux, been playing it under Ubuntu for ages.
    it works fine under wine, it does not natively support linux

Welcome to linux.

Just going to add that if you want to connect to a ventrilo server I would recommend using Mangler. Also, you should learn that Google is now your best friend when it comes to troubleshooting issues.

This might also be useful:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/
    Last edited by Plagous; 2011-05-30 at 02:23 PM.

it works fine under wine, it does not natively support linux
    It did in the beta! These days, you can run wow under wine and have relatively good FPS. Therefore, using Linux is not as you said:
    WARNING: NOTHING YOU WANT TO USE IS COMPATIBLE WITH LINUX"
    If one also desires MSOffice, they can run it under wine, like I do. If you can be arsed to go search how to do things, then anything in possible with Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqera View Post
    It did in the beta! These days, you can run wow under wine and have relatively good FPS. Therefore, using Linux is not as you said:

If one also desires MSOffice, they can run it under wine, like I do. If you can be arsed to go search how to do things, then anything in possible with Linux!
    I like your signature X3

Anywho, I have updated everything.

I think. A window popped up like "Ah mah lawd, update stuff!" (no, not literally), so I clicked update, and it updated things.

Wouldn't reinstalling stuff cost more harddrive space? (Total noob)

Btw anyone running jollycould and wow? :>
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet.

Please stay on topic.

15+ Year Old Account
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

My issue is not installing, it's finding files I installed onto Windows before.

Thank you, though.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you installed a dual-boot system, ubuntu usually mounts your windows drives into something like /mnt/windows/c and /mnt/windows/d - if it doesn't you have to mount those partitions yourself. How to mount partitions? Google it. With linux, google is your very best friend.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    If you installed a dual-boot system, ubuntu usually mounts your windows drives into something like /mnt/windows/c and /mnt/windows/d - if it doesn't you have to mount those partitions yourself. How to mount partitions? Google it. With linux, google is your very best friend.
    Thought I looked there and it was blank. Hm. Maybe I didn't. I'll try later. Thank you

You really shouldn't use Linux unless you have a lot of computer smarts. Not insulting you at all since not even I don't know, but I can guarantee computer smarts will make it A LOT easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerhunter247 View Post
    You really shouldn't use Linux unless you have a lot of computer smarts. Not insulting you at all since not even I don't know, but I can guarantee computer smarts will make it A LOT easier.
    I understand, but I'm not hurp durp, and I like learning things. Especially challenging things

---------- Post added 2011-05-30 at 07:14 PM ----------

Yea, the mnt folder is still blank :\

Says only root can do that?