Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a black and white issue, but you're more wrong than you are right.

Fights are not just about raw HPS. A person who has no idea what they are doing can top the HPS meters spamming their largest heal on the tank who is taking the most damage. That doesn't make them a better healer than the person who knows how to conserve mana, makes the most efficient choices about which heal to use when, and who to heal first.

The rankings can be a useful tool for determining who is doing well and who is underperforming... if they are used correctly and interpreted within the context of the fight and the assignments given. This is not a matter of "person on top is good, person on bottom sucks."

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Did anyone die?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll tell you when healing meters matter

when the whole raid is dead, and the 1 healer healing the tank did more healing then the rest of the healers combined on the raid.

Other then that, healing meters are very very poor way to tell.

Unlike Damage, which is unlimited until the boss dies, healing is limited to damage output. A guild working on progression will find its raid healers healing a lot more then the tank healers, and a guild farming content, will find themself with 2 healers and 1 of them dpsing half the fight.

Most of the damage dealt by bosses is avoidable... as a result, a good raid will leave a raid healer with 0hps, where as a tank healer will always have to heal, since tanks are always getting hit

There are the arguments on how you are wrong, however I doubt you'll come back and post here.

I love the "being good" argument.

If you're a healer, and when the fight is done, everyone who was doing what they were supposed to be is alive, you did well.
    If you're DPS, and you didn't stand in fire, killed adds in a timely manner, you did well.
    If you're tank, and the mob didn't leave you and kill someone else, you did a good job.

Anything past that is useless. If you down a boss, and everyone lived, no ones going to go "OH MAN I HEALED THAT BETTER THAN THE REST OF YOU". I take that back, in this community, plenty would, since I hate most of you. The point is it doesn't matter. You all lived, the fights over. That's it. Unless, one healer DID do all the work when one stood there like a moron. But if the fight is hard enough, that will usually end up in a wipe anyways.

Well, in 5 mans, I run healing meters. I'm the only one on it and always the top when I am a healer, so obviously that means I am the best healer. Also, when I tank, I am at the top of the meters until cap. That must mean I'm the best, right?

Wrong.

One meter can't rate your performance as a healer, the same as one meter can't rate DPS or tanking performance. It might give a good overall for random DPS charts, but the damage meter doesn't have interrupts, deaths, damage, avoidable damage, if they pulled threat, if they used CDs to manage threat, etcetc...

Healing meters only say how much you healed, and not how you got there...and that matters. Especially when comparing between different types of healers. Shields, absorbs, HoTs, slow heals, mana management, over-healing/wasted heals with fast heals, CDs, damage taken from avoidable sources, getting out of the fire, etcetc.

So...healing meters can only be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe that Paladin healed for 400k health...but that Disc Priest shielded for over 1 million health, and the Paladin also had over 600k in overhealing and didn't manage mis mana well. etcetcetc...

People being alive would probably be the best way to see your performance as a healer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oajng View Post
    This is the way I see it. Everyone has human rights, and should respect everyone else's human rights. If you consciously hurt anyone you concede your human rights from what you have done. Think of it like pvp flagging.
    I find it so hilarious when people take pure neutrality and a flat tone as anger, hate, or rage.

Deleted
    In my oppinion, you will be the best healer, if you all manage to have healed exactly the same through the fight, healing is more about teamwork in that point, than dps is, thereby meters doesn't account to us, the same as it does for dps.

Yeah meters arent good to go bye take Heroic chim for example, In my group we have 3 heals. One heals our 3rd tank and the raid(druid) our priest and paladin focus of helaing our 2 MAIN tanks...Obviously the druid is ganna be top in heals.

This is what happens when DPS re-roll.

The meters are ok for, say, if everyone had equal sorts of responsibilities, to make sure everyone is pulling around the same weight. They are NOT ok, however, for showing you how good you did. I could spam a person the whole time, and probably have more HPS than you... And our whole raid would wipe cause I'm being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

healing cant really be measured in numbers in most cases. obv like beerwolf mentioned if there is a huge gap with one of you healers then they wouldnt be pulling their weight.

in most cases though if you dont wipe all healers are doing their job fine.

you either do your job....or the group dies, sometimes the latter cannot be saved no matter how much healing you do.
    ive done 20k+ hps and still had a wipe....would that mean i fail at healing?
    Originally Posted by statlerthegreat
    I don't play a real world simulator. I play World of Warcraft. Where I am a Goblin, named after an explosive, that hurls balls of arcane "fuck you up" at internet dragons/ogres/whateverthehellmaloriakis.

Deleted
    its same thing as was with gearscore.. big numbers doesnt mean you are the best... if one heal dies and you do your job and his aswell and you can keep all alive then you are good healer

Quote Originally Posted by Kamse View Post
    Except most meters dont usually show overhealing. There are obvious fights where it doesnt make much sence judging the meters, but mostly I think meters are showing the truth pretty good, even for healing.
    I don't know what meter you are running, but Recount does, and i'm fairly sure that's what most people use. As a resto druid on most fights, i can easily push 15k HPS, but 40-50% will wind up being overhealing. That right there brings me to an effective HPS of about 7.5-8k. So instead of wasting the globals and the mana, I have learned to heal much more efficiently and still pull 11-13k, while having an overheal of about 15-20% most fights. See the difference?

10+ Year Old Account
    Once you single heal an heroic encounter, then you can brag about being a good healer.

I don't know what meter you are running, but Recount does, and i'm fairly sure that's what most people use. As a resto druid on most fights, i can easily push 15k HPS, but 40-50% will wind up being overhealing. That right there brings me to an effective HPS of about 7.5-8k.
    Wrong, it means you pushed about 20k HPS but 5kish was overheals, the 15k are effective heals.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Healing meter =/= a good way to measure healing.
    You can have healed more, sure BUT you might not have healed those people that died like the others healers was trying.
    ''Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack'' -Sun Tzu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Once you single heal an heroic encounter, then you can brag about being a good healer.
    I remember in VOA when the 2nd boss came out (wind guy), and one of our healers literally died right off the pull, I managed to single heal the rest of the fight (on the week of its release)... good times

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Wrong, it means you pushed about 20k HPS but 5kish was overheals, the 15k are effective heals.
    healing meters only show healing that hit the target, not over-healed... there is a separate meter for that. Learn your stuff before you comment on the matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksen View Post
    Healing is a team effort that produce a binary result. DPS meters matter because there's a continuum of results, ranging from a 5-minute kill to a 10-minute kill. Healing, on the other hand, is either sufficient or insufficient, so judging healing by meters is relatively useless. The meters don't tell you how the team did together.

The other big reason that healing meters don't really matter is that almost all healing gets done eventually before the target dies. Omnotron is a great example. When Magmatron's AoE goes off, there's very little need to heal the raid up "omg as fast as we can," but people do anyway. As a result, classes with faster heals can do better on the meters.

You should judge your healers by how well they handle their individual responsibilities. If healer A is assigned to group 1, you can measure the effectiveness of healer A by how often someone in group 1 dies.

By spreading out the individual responsibilities, you can pin down who is responsible for "healer error."
    This is a true story !!

100 % agree

Cheers BB

Deleted
    a simple situation that proves that healing meters are wrong:

you're a holy priest and you use CoH. that CoH heals 5 targets that are at 9K for, say, 7K. this means that if those targets would right after that take 15K damage, you saved all 5 of them. you did 35K healing.

a resto shaman with the CH glyph heals 4 targets for 36K in total. your first heal heals for 14K, your second for 10k, your third for 7K and your fourth for 5K. in this result, one of the targets would die, but your total HPS is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    healing meters only show healing that hit the target, not over-healed... there is a separate meter for that. Learn your stuff before you comment on the matter.
    He's got a point, though. Effectively, you only healed 15k if 5k was overhealed; that's useless heals that didn't need to be there. Part of being a good healer is knowing how much you heal with each spell, and using each accordingly to heal just the right amount and no more.

I'm a resto druid. If anyone beats me on any fight it's pretty poor because resto druids are just really good at topping meters. That doesn't mean I'm the best healer in any fight, just that I pushed out more heals than anyone else.

Did you guys beat the boss? Then hooray, you healed good enough. =P

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember in VOA when the 2nd boss came out (wind guy), and one of our healers literally died right off the pull, I managed to single heal the rest of the fight (on the week of its release)... good times
    I single healed the ice guy (on 25man, other healers all died before 70%) the day it came out. VoA has always been a joke.
    But i agree, good times.

The default config on recount now shows "effective healing" (which excludes all overhealing) and "overhealing", with an option to "merge absorbs with heals". With a third window for "absorbs" regardless of the setting.
    Learn your stuff before you comment on the matter.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.