Quote Originally Posted by Zelgius View Post
    Why do you think people are pretty much getting it first on every AD champion? Because it gives you the boost in the early/mid game to be able to snowball all over your opponents.
    I think the number 1 reason for its consistent early acquisition is its ludicrously low price. It's a pretty bad item overall in my eyes, and obviously isn't meant to occupy one of your six slots 50 minutes into the game, say, but, at 2000 gold, it's a very efficient choice. It has cooldown reduction, which plays into Ezreal's skill set (Ezreal has always been an idiosyncratic carry partial to different stats).

Anyway, having this item when your opponent has a BF sword/Longsword is an advantage, to be sure. But it can't go toe-to-toe with Bloodthirster, Infinity Edge or BotRK in terms of raw power.

Deleted
    It will give you a slight edge if you buy it as soon as possible.
    Then you'll fall behind, because the blue build goes for a tear next while the normal build buys one of the mentioned items. If you survive that phase you should come out ahead again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    I think the number 1 reason for its consistent early acquisition is its ludicrously low price. It's a pretty bad item overall in my eyes, and obviously isn't meant to occupy one of your six slots 50 minutes into the game, say, but, at 2000 gold, it's a very efficient choice. It has cooldown reduction, which plays into Ezreal's skill set (Ezreal has always been an idiosyncratic carry partial to different stats).

Anyway, having this item when your opponent has a BF sword/Longsword is an advantage, to be sure. But it can't go toe-to-toe with Bloodthirster, Infinity Edge or BotRK in terms of raw power.
    The build ain't about raw power though. The DoT early game is actually great and works great with your Q spam, which then fills up your tear faster then you can say "YODALAHIIIIHHHHIIIIIIIIII". But it's not made to jump in and hope you win the duel.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    The build ain't about raw power though. The DoT early game is actually great and works great with your Q spam, which then fills up your tear faster then you can say "YODALAHIIIIHHHHIIIIIIIIII". But it's not made to jump in and hope you win the duel.
    Of course, the true damage is nice for harassing, but 5 true damage per second/attack isn't going to win you a 'fist fight', so to speak. We agree.

Deleted
    Of course, the true damage is nice for harassing, but 5 true damage per second/attack isn't going to win you a 'fist fight', so to speak. We agree.
    It's a pretty silly discussion anyway since you know an Ezreal isn't going to go fight unless he has poked his enemy down first (which is the point of blue build ).

Deleted
    Which is the entire point of the build.

You kite. You poke. And you run while doing so.

You don't jump in head-first hoping to get a kill. It's just another way of playing Ezreal, it doesn't make the item bad because it's not meant to win a 1on1 head-on. It's like saying a Chain Vest is a bad choice against AP casters because it's obviously bad for that. EL however is awesome for it's purpose.
    Last edited by mmocfaf6580671; 2013-06-03 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivalion View Post
    Which is the entire point of the build.

You kite. You poke. And you run while doing so.

You don't jump in head-first hoping to get a kill. It's just another way of playing Ezreal, it doesn't make the item bad because it's not meant to win a 1on1 head-on. It's like saying a Chain Vest is a bad choice against AP casters because obviously it is.
    Yes, thank you for rearing your head and sharing, I don't know what I would have done without your insight.

Deleted
    Yes, thank you for rearing your head and sharing, I don't know what I would have done without your insight.
    It really bugs you that I keep correcting your ignorance, doesn't it? It's almost cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivalion View Post
    It really bugs you that I keep correcting your ignorance, doesn't it? It's almost cute.
    I wasn't talking about the build, but the item. The item itself does nothing for kiting, and I have seen other carries pick it up and do well. In fact, you are no better at kiting than usual until you pick up Iceborn Gauntlet, which isn't reserved for this build anyway, as it's been built on Ezreal since the season started; or BotRK, which anyone can build.

I'm singling out and discussing this item because it is clearly intended for use with junglers, yet is popularly built by a carry (which, I'm sure you know by now, will change soon). I was merely sharing why I think it's such a popular first item. Of course, you'd know this if you read what I write instead of looking for opportunities to criticize my views. By the way, somebody said what you just did 20 minutes ago, I guess you're a just a fan of rehashing.

Deleted
    I wasn't talking about the build, but the item. The item itself does nothing for kiting, and I have seen other carries pick it up and do well. In fact, you are no better at kiting than usual until you pick up Iceborn Gauntlet, which isn't reserved for this build anyway, as it's been built on Ezreal since the season started; or BotRK, which anyone can build.
    The item itself does a lot for kiting, and is, to an extent, essential for Blue Ezreal. CDR is essential to have for kiting, and poking. Mana regen isn't something to shrug off either, and the DoT is great for poking.

You don't buy the item for kiting, so why bring up kiting? You buy the item for the poke, and the early-/mid-game damage. If you'd skip the item and go for IBG as first item you'd have no damage and therefore not be a threat. Same reason you dont rush Tear of the Goddess. The fact that it has a true-damage DoT only compliments the whole idea behind Blue Ezreal even further.

I'm singling out and discussing this item because it is clearly intended for use with junglers, yet is popularly built by a carry (which, I'm sure you know by now, will change soon). I was merely sharing why I think it's such a popular first item. Of course, you'd know this if you read what I write instead of looking for opportunities to criticize my views. By the way, somebody said what you just did 20 minutes ago, I guess you're a just a fan of rehashing.
    I did read everything, but since your entire arguement for why you think the item isn't that good is "he wouldn't win a fist-fight against a BT/IE/BOTRK carry" I decided to correct you.

And it doesn't matter whether or not it's intended for junglers, discussing why it's picked up by carries is cool, but accept when you're being corrected on things you're so obviously wrong about.

Oh, and I'm not sitting spamming F5 so unfortunately I hadn't seen the previous post that was made... My bad?

My original post was in response to

Why do you think people are pretty much getting it first on every AD champion? Because it gives you the boost in the early/mid game to be able to snowball all over your opponents.
    and I go on to address the item itself. Forget Ezreal, forget blue Ezreal, forget poking and kiting. I'm talking about the item and why people get it, and how good it is early and late. I briefly mention how it synergizes with Ezreal's abilities, but nowhere do I make mention of 'the blue build'. And yet here you are, trying to teach me about what the point of said build is. Isn't that almost cute?

There, now I've made the same point twice in the off chance that you'll understand.
    Last edited by gamhacked; 2013-06-03 at 11:51 AM.

Deleted
    My original post was in response to

and I go on to address the item itself. Forget Ezreal, forget blue Ezreal, forget poking and kiting. I'm talking about the item and why people get it, and how good it is early and late. I briefly mention how it synergizes with Ezreal's abilities, but nowhere do I make mention of 'the blue build'. And yet here you are, trying to teach me about what the point of said build is. Isn't that almost cute?
    No, I'm sitting here trying to tell you exactly why people are getting the item, and not the build.

They don't get it for the raw power it gives (which isn't all that much).

They get it because it gives CDR and compliments poking and kiting. They get it to make up for their otherwise weak early-game. They get it because it's cheap. Which is why you wont see it being built on carries like Graves, Vayne, Tristana, Caitlyn and so on. That is what I've been telling you. I've told you the benefits of the item and what it compliments. You can't address the item without addressing it's strengths and weaknesses. It's pointless to compare it to IE/BT/BOTRK and a straight up 1v1 because that's not the point of the item itself.

It's like saying a Chain Vest is a bad choice against AP casters because it's obviousl so. EL however is awesome for it's purpose.

Deleted
    The item only gives 10% cdr and it doesn't even provide a slow. How is it good at kiting compared for example to Phage or just good overall at kiting without comparing it to an item? If you want to kite might as well just go for Phage, which is cheaper, instead of EL.

As for the damage, to be honest, it seems quite trivial but as it has been mentioned it seems to synergize quite well with blue Ez, especially when he has red buff, but not ideal if your team isn't a poke one and just starts TFs without letting you poke first.

You two guys are cute.
    Viktor is op with no real counters. DISCUSS!
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    The item only gives 10% cdr and it doesn't even provide a slow. How is it good at kiting compared for example to Phage or just good overall at kiting without comparing it to an item? If you want to kite might as well just go for Phage, which is cheaper, instead of EL.
    I'm guessing because it allows more Arcane Shifts and thereby, kiting (kind of, sometimes).

Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    You two guys are cute.
    Join the glorious evolution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Catanowplx View Post
    The only real problem I have with Viktor is that his range is so damn low, feels like I have to move in anyone's autohit range to get any spells off.

Deleted
    Feels like I have to move in anyone's autohit range to get any spells off.
    You actually have to.

And it sucks, especially if it's an Adc, but that's why you have your slow/stun but even so, a champion with a gap can easily get out of it.

To be honest, the only problem I see in Viktor his is Q's low range which doesn't allow him to go in TFs unless he has his ulti up along with the stun/slow, the rest seems pretty fine and great to me, so I don't understand why people don't play him that often.

Deleted

As for the damage, to be honest, it seems quite trivial but as it has been mentioned it seems to synergize quite well with blue Ez, especially when he has red buff, but not ideal if your team isn't a poke one and just starts TFs without letting you poke first.
    10% is a lot, it's a 4th of max. CDR. If I remember correctly with max CDR you'll have a 3sec CD on your Arcane Shift (while spamming Qs for the CDR reduction on abilities, it's safe to say you'll always hit something during fights unless you're a knobhead or just missclicked something).

And besides

You don't buy the item for kiting, so why bring up kiting? You buy the item for the poke, and the early-/mid-game damage. If you'd skip the item and go for IBG as first item you'd have no damage and therefore not be a threat. Same reason you dont rush Tear of the Goddess. The fact that it has a true-damage DoT only compliments the whole idea behind Blue Ezreal even further.
    And since talking 'Blue Ezreal' build is prohibited, let me rephrase the last part:

"The fact that it has a true-damage DoT only compliments the whole idea behind Kiting/Poking even further.

There. No specific build in mind, just talking about the item.

But alright, let's compare it to IE, BT and BOTRK (Any other items?):

IE: Too expensive and is AA/Crit based. You're going for poke and the ability to kite and fend for yourself.
    BT: Too expensive, but is a great choice nonetheless. It'll just delay your Manamune(Later on, Muramana) and IBG for too long. It is however a great replacement lategame for EL.
    BOTRK: Too expensive but is a decent choice aswell. It gives sort of wonky stats for Ezreal, however it is still a part of the standard Blue Ez (Can be argued whether to grab BOTR or BT) later on, after you've finished your EL, Manamune, IBG and LW. Meaning your 6th item slot. You mainly grab it due to the active passive, adding even more to his kiting potential (not to mention the health you get back from it). Personally prefer BT as it provides more raw AD and LS. I don't particularly like BOTRK outside of small skirmishes and laning. The AS (for Ez) isn't needed (to an extent) due to his AS gain from his passive which is easily fully stacked in a matter of a few seconds once a teamfight breaks loose.

And if you want to compare it to Phage? Well, not only is Phage's slow RNG based, it's also really expensive for the little AD it gives, giving you the same dilemma as you'd have rushing, say, Sheen or ToG. Your damage will be low and your main items will be delayed even further. And, ofcourse, why would you get another slow? You're planning on getting IBG which is arguably the best kiting item for spamhappy carries (Ezreal Q, E spam) and has a 100% chance of slowing the enemies. And what would you upgrade it into? Mallet? TriForce? Both items are pretty decent, however IBG is better for it's purpose than both of these items. TF still has the RNG factor on the slow, and Mallet provides little damage while the Sheen procc from IBG provides more damage than Mallet.

Deleted
    You don't have to upgrade Phage, you only buy it for the kitting. You can easily sell it later on for another item if that's what you want, basically like a Doran's, or when you get IBG.

Do notice though, for kiting purposes only, I don't see why you'd pick EL instead of a phage, even if it's RNG based.

Deleted
    You don't have to upgrade Phage, you only buy it for the kitting. You can easily sell it later on for another item if that's what you want, basically like a Doran's, or when you get IBG.

Do notice though, for kiting purposes only, I don't see why you'd pick EL instead of a phage, even if it's RNG based.
    But you don't pick EL for kiting purposes. Phage isn't cost-efficient anymore. If you don't plan on upgrading it, it will be wasted gold. It doesn't give you any substantial power to snowball -- like EL does.

For 1465g (Phage cost) you can get either get double 'Long Sword' wich, for 800g, gives you the same AD as Phage,

What exactly is it that you're planning on kiting this early in the game? You need damage first and foremost; you need to present yourself as a threat to the opposing team, otherwise they'll just ignore you and eventually outscale you because they'll have bigger items. You're basically shooting yourself in the foot.