Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    But surely feeling insulted is an emotional response...?
    Yes, it is. Though I fail to see how that is relevant to the discussion since I believe a person who feels insulted doesn't automatically mean they will start playing bad or that it will affect their gameplay.

Deleted
    It's called clamping. I'm in the same position. 4-5 LP per win max. It happens in division I.
    I know.

It's dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Yes, it is. Though I fail to see how that is relevant to the discussion since I believe a person who feels insulted doesn't automatically mean they will start playing bad or that it will affect their gameplay.
    First, if you get riled up at someone's 'GG easy' at the end of one game, it might affect your performance in the next (because you've become emotional - angry, sad, depressed, whatever).

Second, this may be a sign that other such disparaging remarks will affect you as well, so if someone, during a game, says 'not even close' or 'nope' or something along those lines and succeeds in provoking you, you might become angry and begin to underperform.

So, to sum up:

1) Insults lead to emotion
    2) User fails to control emotion
    3) Emotion worsens performance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivalion View Post
    I know.

It's dumb.
    Protection against people getting lucky and then being promoted while on a winning streak. Because you can't drop down from Plat to Gold, they make it harder to get into Plat. (Same for other divisions.)

So, as I near level 30 (half through 29), I'm at 97 normal wins as of right now. How much should I practice in level 30 normals before starting my 10 placement matches? And what determines the skill level I'll be playing/matched with in placement matches? I can get as high as gold right?

Deleted
    First, if you get riled up at someone's 'GG easy' at the end of one game, it might affect your performance in the next (because you've become emotional - angry, sad, depressed, whatever).

Second, this may be a sign that other such disparaging remarks will affect you as well, so if someone, during a game, says 'not even close' or 'nope' or something along those lines and succeeds in provoking you, you might become angry and begin to underperform.

So, to sum up:

1) Insults lead to emotion
    2) User fails to control emotion
    3) Emotion worsens performance
    I get it.

What I'm trying to say, actually have said already, is that just because someone has an emotional response doesn't mean that will affect a person's gameplay, meaning that they are a bad player or never will be a truly good player because of it. This does not happen with all players, and once again, this isn't a necessary 'achievement' for someone to be a truly good player.

I understand what you typed, and agree with that. I'm not going to stress it another time with the same response. :d

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    So, as I near level 30 (half through 29), I'm at 97 normal wins as of right now. How much should I practice in level 30 normals before starting my 10 placement matches? And what determines the skill level I'll be playing/matched with in placement matches? I can get as high as gold right?
    I'd probably start finishing rune pages. Play about an extra 150 to 200 games with champions you plan on playing in ranked(make a list of the ones you want to focus on) so you can practice them more often.

Also, once you know what runes to get/build, same thing for masteries, for X champion without the need of help from guides, you're good to go for sure, imo.

Deleted
    I started ranked after 200 normal wins and I regret it a bit. Climbing through bronze was harder than learning more in normals would have been. At the very least, make sure you have champs and rune pages and a basic understanding of all roles. I'm at 600 normal wins now and recently hit gold from bronze 2. I've learned so much from those extra 400 normal wins that it's pretty indescribable to me how bad I was when I started playing ranked prematurely.

If you win everything you can even be plat. If, say, you win your first 7 placements, the game will try to match you in a plat-level game to see if you really belong there.

However, realistically, going 7-3 or 8-2 or something like that would most likely place your somewhere in high silver depending against who you lost those 2-3 matches.

Edit: Not sure. Someone might come up with a quote that says you can't be placed over gold or something. TBH No one really knows how their system works *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a quote, but I know you can't be placed higher than Gold. Riot said it a few times when releasing the current system. You may play against plat players during those games, but the highest you can get, afaik, is Gold 1

I plan on maining mid/jungle. I consider myself a very good Karthus player, a good veigar, orianna and annie player, and subpar at ahri and kassadin. In jungle, it's really just Nunu, fiddle and elise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    However, realistically, going 7-3 or 8-2 or something like that would most likely place your somewhere in high silver depending against who you lost those 2-3 matches.
    You'll probably end up in gold if you were gold + in Season 2. Silver 1 for sure and you probably will skip a division or two in gold if you don't lose that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Need one more game for placement matches. Haven't really bothered much, as you can tell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivalion View Post
    So I've finally realized what true Elo hell is.

And no, no. It has nothing to do with getting bad teammates and what not, no, not at all.

+2-5 LP per win.
    -2-8 LP per loss.

Went from getting +30 LP per win all throughout Plat 4-2. Second I get to 1, BAM. +2-5. This is awesome! I feel so super encouraged to play the game right now!!

Same thing happened to a friend, was "stuck" in Gold 1 for a while (unlucky), then hit Platinum, skipped Plat 4 straight to 3 and then right onto Plat 1 day after. Second he hit Plat 1, he starts getting +2-5.

Has fuck all to do with MMR or anything.

Seriously?
    I started getting +10-25 gains per win, like the win that got me into my silver 1 promotion to gold 5 last night was at least 14 points because I was at 86 lp... Needless to say I won my promotion in 4 games.

And you owe me a skin, never bet with the great Tizzlefix.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-09-11 at 11:00 PM.
    Hey everyone

So should I try to learn ADC more? I can play Karthus top if I'm stuck with top. I can Soraka, Thresh or Blitz support (or even Orianna/Karthus support if necessary) if I get stuck with support. Jungle and Mid are my two best areas and I'm not sure if those are highly contested in ranked or what.

Anyway, someone tell me if my mid champ pool is viable or not: Karthus, Orianna, Annie, Veigar, Brand, Anivia, Fiddlesticks. Do I need more than that? I could try Kennen, but I'm terrible with Ahri (I'm just generally bad with DFG-champs as a whole) and any melee mid (Fizz, Kass, probably Zed but haven't used him yet).

10+ Year Old Account
    So should I try to learn ADC more?

You should know all roles when going for Ranked. If you have to ask, it means you need to practise it more.

Karthus and Orianna are perfectly fine for mid. Annie will do okay (or even as support). Wouldn't take the others to mid, tbh. I'd try to have 4 solid champs per role, in case 2 get banned out and 1 gets picked by the enemy team.

Wouldn't be happy about a Karthus support, Blitzcrank is banned fairly often at lower ranks as is Thresh. That leaves you with Soraka (who is honestly very sub-par compared to what others bring) and Annie & Fiddlesticks. I'd really try to add a few of the more commons supports.

Deleted
    Do the role you want. I'd recommend doing ALL of them because you never know in draft games what you will get unless it's first pick, and trust me when I say being first pick sometimes is very fucking awful regardless of your lane unless you go maybe support or jungle, that's what I usually go when I am first pick. Too scared to get countered lol.

As for support, I'd probably ditch Soraka, there are way better supports. Sona, Nami and Jana are good examples and are more less easy to play and learn. Please, do not go Ori support or Karthus support.

As for mid, it's highly contested in ranked. I think it's the lane that most people want or really a lot of them want. Top? It's meh, just like jungle or adc. The 'worst' is just support.

Yes, your mid pick is viable, not exactly sure about Fiddle but that one is highly situational, depends a lot on who you go against. And those are enough, imo. You don't need 20 champions for each lane. I myself only have about 5 mid champions I'd against pretty much any champion and it's enough for ranked, imo, as long as you know how to play them of course.

Fizz is good on the current meta. Very bursty and good poke. You need to abuse his early damage like you abuse Kass' damage in mid/late game. Kass is a good pick too. Zed is too.

Just give the champions you want to learn a try. I'd probably try them in Domi first, since it has blind pick and you can pick whatever, then proceed on to SR when you feel more confortable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Just give the champions you want to learn a try. I'd probably try them in Domi first, since it has blind pick and you can pick whatever, then proceed on to SR when you feel more confortable.
    Do note that if you try out the support role in Dominion, it's a bit different because all players receive about the same amount of gold due to the increased gold generation and lack of a laning phase compared to SR, except for the bot lane. Whereas in SR, you usually will have the lowest amount of gold among your teammates. Dominion also doesn't provide warding experience because wards are unavailable on that map.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    Do note that if you try out the support role in Dominion, it's a bit different because all players receive about the same amount of gold due to the increased gold generation and lack of a laning phase compared to SR, except for the bot lane. Whereas in SR, you usually will have the lowest amount of gold among your teammates. Dominion also doesn't provide warding experience because wards are unavailable on that map.
    Oh yeah. I forgot that. Trying support in Domi isn't like in SR so it's not good. Same thing for HA.

But it's at least good to give you a gist of your abilities and skills if you're afraid to go SR, at least that is for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I plan on maining mid/jungle. I consider myself a very good Karthus player, a good veigar, orianna and annie player, and subpar at ahri and kassadin. In jungle, it's really just Nunu, fiddle and elise.
    You want to be able to play everything when you start ranked. You won't always get whatever role you want, so it is important to be proficient at every role. It's fine to focus on one role and try to play that as much as possible, but make you sure you have at least 2 champs of each role that you can play comfortably.

As for when to jump into ranked, it's entirely up to you. I do recommend having a good number of normal wins first and a few completed rune pages.

I mean, for ADC, I can play Caitlyn, Ashe and Ezreal fairly well from a fighting perspective, but I'm god awful at Vayne and I'm not very good at farming as ADC.

Tried Sona support. Loathe her. Got Janna is HA once and she was okay, but I built her as a mage.

I'm around 8k IP right now. Should I buy champs or runes? I only have a (fully completed) AP page. I have no ADC or tank or support pages yet.

Oh, forgot I can Zilean support too! Yeah, I'm not very good with the "common" supports.