10+ Year Old Account
    Shaco is a good pick in lower Elo. He's a crappy pick on high Elo.

He scales inversely as his opponents gain skill.

---------- Post added 2012-08-10 at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Horn of Valmar View Post
    my ip balance doesn't update anymore, anyone else having this problem?
    http://eune.leagueoflegends.com/boar...57#post4682157

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Shaco is a good pick in lower Elo. He's a crappy pick on high Elo.
    I've heard the same thing. It scares me.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Ty Duilliath

Deleted
    I don´t really see the point of shaco atm. His ganks are great, but he falls off so incredibly hard. His teamfighting is pretty useless tbh, he is squishy as fuck and his damage isn´t that impressive.

If you like Shaco jungle you could try Alistar or Lee Sin, they also have amazing ganks but they don´t have as many weaknesses as Shaco. Alistar is simply amazing since his level 2 ganks are some of the best in the game (maybe even better than shaco), he can also continue ganking forever. He doesn´t need much farm as all he needs to do well is be tanky, which he is naturally anyways.

I havn´t won a ranked game with a Shaco on my team in a while, I rarely see his ganks having more success than the normal gank junglers. He is just such a liability to the team once the game has passed 25 minutes. I´m only 1400 ELO which is really fucking low aswell, and people already know how to deal with Shaco.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollspwn View Post
    I don´t really see the point of shaco atm. His ganks are great, but he falls off so incredibly hard. His teamfighting is pretty useless tbh, he is squishy as fuck and his damage isn´t that impressive.

If you like Shaco jungle you could try Alistar or Lee Sin, they also have amazing ganks but they don´t have as many weaknesses as Shaco. Alistar is simply amazing since his level 2 ganks are some of the best in the game (maybe even better than shaco), he can also continue ganking forever. He doesn´t need much farm as all he needs to do well is be tanky, which he is naturally anyways.

I havn´t won a ranked game with a Shaco on my team in a while, I rarely see his ganks having more success than the normal gank junglers. He is just such a liability to the team once the game has passed 25 minutes. I´m only 1400 ELO which is really fucking low aswell, and people already know how to deal with Shaco.
    I know what you mean, literally no damage late game though he really is designed to focus that carry and take it down hard, at least that's what I do even if it results in my death because that carry is gone.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Hey gents, I figured this megathread thingy would be a decent place to ask my question, don't need to make an entirely new thread about it, so here goes.

I am a Dota player and I've recently begun treading uncharted territory, AKA I've picked up League of Legends. I don't intend to quit Dota, no way, but I have a lot of friends who swear by League and I'd like to be able to play with them.

Now here's my problem, all of my League buddies are currently on holidays and it just so happens I've picked this time to start, so I figured I could ask you guys for some help.

I want to find one hero that I can enjoy playing and use him for my first 20 games, so that I can get comfortable with the mechanics and looks of League of Legends. I am not a fan of "maining" anything as it just limits your capabilities (opinions man), but starting out with focusing on one hero for a complete newbie is usually good (At least it works wonders in Dota).

BUT, I literally have no clue as to what any of the heroes do in League so I am going to ask you for some recommendations, if you would be so kind to oblige me.

In Dota, my most succesful heroes are Invoker, Chen and Lone Druid, if you know nothing of Dota they are basically heroes who require a bit of micro and a bit of finger nimbleness. They have a somewhat high skill ceiling and can adapt to most situations. That is why I like them, because I never feel useless at any stage of the game.

Are there any heroes in League that have some micromanagement components to them (Other than of course your one main guy to move around), like pets or summons? Is there an equivelant of Invoker in League?

Any information would be much appreciated.

And yes, I do realize I could technically just look up all the League heroes, but there are a lot. Figured it'd be easier if you guys could help me!

Deleted
    Your whole post just screams Orianna.

Orianna is a mid lane champion who revolves around controlling a ball with your spells. She excells at harrassing and starts with extremely strong early laning with lots of damage, then goes to endgame where she has amazing utility. She isn´t the easisest to play but since you have experience with MOBAs it shouldn´t be much of a problem. She does cost quite a bit so you´ll either have to stick to free to play champions until you afford her or else buy her with RP.

Here is a good guide of her that explains her abilities and suggest good item builds:

http://www.lolpro.com/guides/orianna...guide-mid-lane

Quote Originally Posted by Varix View Post
    SNIP
    It depends on what your playstyle is really. From you listing off the invoker, I assume that you like to play INT heroes, which in League are AP champs. A great one for starting out is Annie. She is the cheapest you can get with champions (450 IP) and she has a pet that you can control on her ultimate. I would pick her up first, based off of the information you gave.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollspwn View Post
    Your whole post just screams Orianna.

Orianna is a mid lane champion who revolves around controlling a ball with your spells. She excells at harrassing and starts with extremely strong early laning with lots of damage, then goes to endgame where she has amazing utility. She isn´t the easisest to play but since you have experience with MOBAs it shouldn´t be much of a problem. She does cost quite a bit so you´ll either have to stick to free to play champions until you afford her or else buy her with RP.

Here is a good guide of her that explains her abilities and suggest good item builds:

http://www.lolpro.com/guides/orianna...guide-mid-lane
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I read his post. My 2nd pick would probably be Zyra with her plant management stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by malfecient View Post
    It depends on what your playstyle is really. From you listing off the invoker, I assume that you like to play INT heroes, which in League are AP champs. A great one for starting out is Annie. She is the cheapest you can get with champions (450 IP) and she has a pet that you can control on her ultimate. I would pick her up first, based off of the information you gave.
    Why bother with Annie, when you can use Ryze?

@ the OP: honestly, I would just play the free champs as they become available. You aren't going to gimp yourself by playing a bunch of different champions...its the best way to learn what they can do (for when you go up against them in the future).
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    In Dota, my most succesful heroes are Invoker, Chen and Lone Druid, if you know nothing of Dota they are basically heroes who require a bit of micro and a bit of finger nimbleness. They have a somewhat high skill ceiling and can adapt to most situations. That is why I like them, because I never feel useless at any stage of the game.

Are there any heroes in League that have some micromanagement components to them (Other than of course your one main guy to move around), like pets or summons? Is there an equivelant of Invoker in League?

Any information would be much appreciated.

And yes, I do realize I could technically just look up all the League heroes, but there are a lot. Figured it'd be easier if you guys could help me!
    As far as Invoker, Chen and Lone Druid go you're not likely to find anyone even close to their complexity. LoL is an intentionally simplified game and microing different units is about as advanced as Warlock Golem at best. (There are some, they're controlled strictly by alt+rightclick and if memory serves me right, there's none that's particularly all that powerful other than maybe Mordekaiser's Children of the Grave)

People have mentioned Orianna and Zyra but I feel like they aren't even close. Orianna simply uses one spell to make the ball go somewhere and then uses her actual spells, it's just a slowed-down version of targeting.

Zyra on the other hand has what are basically plague wards. Drop seed with one button, do damage in an area and make one kind of plant with another button and root people and make another kind of plant with the other button. What I find to be the problem with her so-called high skill ceiling is the fact that you almost never have reason to just drop seeds without the intention of instantly turning them into plants. It's not "I use this spell and now a plant pops up." it's "I used this spell to damage my enemy and a seed happened to be nearby/I just dropped one"

Personal opinion on highest skillcap champion? Heimerdinger. But then again, that's mostly because he's pretty weak.

inb4 the flames.

Deleted
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses! I've been looking over the hero spotlights of the ones you mentioned and I have to admit, Orianna looks very appealing on the other hand, Zyra also looks pretty balling!

I am willing to spend a bit of money to start out with, besides it'll be $10 at most, I can live with spending that if it means I get to play the hero I want to play.

@Toxigen

The problem I have with the current rotation of the free heroes is.. Well.. I tried most of them now and I thought they were all very boring to play, I'll be honest. The only one I had a lot fun with, was Viktor. Mainly because I could Augment depending what I wanted to do in the game and experimenting with the different Augments was fun! (also his death laser laugh cracked me up, every, single, time).

Furthermore, I don't know a whole lot about League as it stands, so I'd rather focus on getting down what I need to avoid and what different heroes do against me and that is easier when you don't have an entirely new spell kit and build every game.

I plan on branching out in my hero play after the initial games of course, playing one hero over and over is no fun.

@malfecient

Tried Anni, I wasn't able to take the game seriously. Also her voicework just annoyed the heck outta me... Call me petty, but the heroes I play have to play, look and sound good

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Personal opinion on highest skillcap champion? Heimerdinger. But then again, that's mostly because he's pretty weak.
    Heimerdinger eh? I laned against him once and completely crushed him, I'll have a look at his spotlight! Oh and yes, I did know that League is somewhat simplified mechanics wise compared to Dota (I KEEP TRYING TO CREEP BLOCK BUT NOTHING HAPPENS, DANG IT!), but I was hoping they did have some micro-intensive heroes... Orianna currently looks like the best I'll get in that regard.
    Last edited by mmoc5fa303d2cd; 2012-08-10 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    People have mentioned Orianna and Zyra but I feel like they aren't even close. Orianna simply uses one spell to make the ball go somewhere and then uses her actual spells, it's just a slowed-down version of targeting.
    Only Ori's Q and R come from the ball though so saying its slowed down targeting is downplaying the whole playstyle a bit. I think the challenge, in my eyes, is trying make sure your Q and E go through enemies each time you use them. Making sure you attack a guy with Q/W, while lining the ball up in such a way that when you throw the shield at your carry (or whoever needs protecting) it strikes as many people as possible. Sure Q and her shield don't do huge burst, but you wanna maximize her damage, making sure the shield deals damage while shielding so it is used to its fullest potential.

Zyra though doesn't have the "never before seen" champion mechanics that Morello continuously said she possesses. The seeds are just glorified Heimer turrets. They don't really do anything until you hit them with a spell. And since you need to aim your spells at them they may as well have made your spells somehow summon the plants by pressing the spell twice and not her seeds. They coulda gave her a spell that actually did something instead of the seeds. Its cool that there are two different types of pets, but if they ditched the seeds and added a third spell there could have been 3. But for a LoL character she's arguably more advanced than most.

Heimer's a bit low tier but I wouldn't say hes difficult. He's pretty safe behind his turrets. A high skill cap character would be someone who has a high risk/high reward playstyle. Something requiring you to get into danger, completely exposed, but if you play them at their best you will be able to survive, get fed, and carry the game to victory!

Just take in mind that some of those spotlights are pretty outdated.

Also yeah, if you're actually used to Dota and you're starting with LoL, it's gonna seem very simple. For example, there's not nearly as many use-items like there are in Dota, you don't have denying, and so on.

But just like any other online game, it's most fun with friends!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Just take in mind that some of those spotlights are pretty outdated.

Also yeah, if you're actually used to Dota and you're starting with LoL, it's gonna seem very simple. For example, there's not nearly as many use-items like there are in Dota, you don't have denying, and so on.

But just like any other online game, it's most fun with friends!
    Yeah, I noticed the lack of activated items, there are some however, so it's fine. Also Rylai's Crystal Scepter and Guinsoo's Rageblade made me smile, but I guess stuff like that was inevitable what with some of the League developers being former Dota Allstars people.

And yes, I am sure League will be more enjoyable for me once my friends who play it come back, but I figured I could use their absence to get a bit of game sense and not drag them down too much.

Don't tell anyone, but I pop in a game of Dota every now and then to maintain my sanity.

I'm off to brave the solo queue, gonna try Heimerdinger! Thanks again for the help fella's, it is much appreciated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Only Ori's Q and R come from the ball though so saying its slowed down targeting is downplaying the whole playstyle a bit. I think the challenge, in my eyes, is trying make sure your Q and E go through enemies each time you use them. Making sure you attack a guy with Q/W, while lining the ball up in such a way that when you throw the shield at your carry (or whoever needs protecting) it strikes as many people as possible. Sure Q and her shield don't do huge burst, but you wanna maximize her damage, making sure the shield deals damage while shielding so it is used to its fullest potential.
    Maybe it is downplaying but that's basically how it is from my experience. Yeah, hitting with attack and protect consistently is great but over the course of a teamfight you'll be lucky if you manage to hit with attack more than twice and protect more than once unless it's really drawn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Heimer's a bit low tier but I wouldn't say hes difficult. He's pretty safe behind his turrets. A high skill cap character would be someone who has a high risk/high reward playstyle. Something requiring you to get into danger, completely exposed, but if you play them at their best you will be able to survive, get fed, and carry the game to victory!
    Yeah he's safe behind his turrets but that's not all a good Heimer ever does. Akali can sit back and AFKfarm in her shroud and be safe for a long time but that's not what a good Akali does.

(I KEEP TRYING TO CREEP BLOCK BUT NOTHING HAPPENS, DANG IT!)
    Creep blocking actually works a bit. You can slightly herd them to a side to make them run towards things like Teemo mushrooms to pop them for you. (Shortest explanation is Techies mines)
    Last edited by mmoc24ed1da916; 2012-08-10 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Tinker is not Techies.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Heimer isn't really difficult at all. With ridiculous range on W, you actually can sit behind the turrets and farm. If they ever try to get aggressive on you, you ult, W, and throw an E at them as their slowed. The only champions you can really die 1v1 are Leblanc and Anivia. Otherwise you just push the lane stupidly hard and go farm wraiths on cool down. The only jungles that can successfully gank you are the ones with quick gap closers, and even then if you ward 1 bush and play safe to it, it's really hard to actually die. He's actually quite incredible in lane since farming is stupid easy with the turrets. The damage / range on W is underrated and the blind/possible stun on E is nice for team fights. I honestly think he could be top tier if the turrets weren't just so easily disposed of. In team fights they usually die really fast but if you get good positioning on them and they live the entire time, you pump out so much damage. However, they mostly die really quickly and once W and E are used, you really don't have any damage until those 2 skills come up again or another turret becomes available. Maybe if W was a skill shot he'd be difficult, but I disagree.

Deleted
    Okay so he can't die.
    There are lots of champions that can't die, like Yorick. Yorick can even outharass and zone competent players and has constant game relevance thanks to his ultimate.
    Heimer can uh...
    Yeah he can not die.
    Cool.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    He can't die + has 1 skill shot is why I think he isn't difficult at all to play. Now, why do you think he IS difficult to play?

edit: rather why do you think he has a high skill cap?
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2012-08-10 at 07:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    He can't die + has 1 skill shot is why I think he isn't difficult at all to play. Now, why do you think he IS difficult to play?
    Funny, there's not a single skillshot-based champion in my top 5 list of hardest champs. (Based, as in it is highly relevant. Ezreal is based, Caitlyn is not)

I think he is the hardest to play because he has the highest required level of positioning, enemy prediction, resource management (At max CDR, which you won't hit very quickly even with R, he gets a turret every 15 seconds) and his E is the hardest to hit spell in the game. It's basically Leona ultimate with the slowest travel time ever. (Yeah sure, blind is useful. Root even moreso)