10+ Year Old Account

[Books] The Kindle.

I'm looking at purchasing a Kindle off Amazon.
    However im not sure whether to go for the 3G one or the plain Wi-fi?

Whats you opinion of the kindle in general and if you own one would you recomend it?

it's simple, do you need it or want it

if you just want it then don't fuck with it, even though it's inexpensive, you'll never really use it

if you'll use it daily then it's great for what it does. pretty much get what you pay for with it, haven't seen a problem with it yet

I would love to have one, just do not have the funds for it. I live in Holland but was born and raised in the states makes English my preferred choice for reading. The amount of books to choose from here that are in English are not so great, thus the Kindle would be ideal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Landfall View Post
    However im not sure whether to go for the 3G one or the plain Wi-fi?
    I bought my wife the kindle a year and a half ago (before the wi-fi version was available) for her birthday. She absolutely loves it. She uses it every night reading before bead, we bring it on trips for reading on vacation, etc. In talking with her now, she would 100% recommend the 3G version. She loves being able to be anywhere you want and buy a book when she finishes her current one.

With that said, the final decision comes down to how often you would be using it outside your home. If you have wireless at home and never plan on taking this outside the home, then the Wi-Fi would be fine - just make sure you always have 1 book in reserve in case your internet goes down

I personally have a Sony Pocket Reader (so no 3G or Wi-Fi, I have to hook up to my computer via USB). I don't have a problem with it, but I don't read every night, so I go through a lot (significantly) fewer books. So total usage could have an impact on how easy 3G is vs. Wi-Fi for you as well.

I want to have one , but I think I do not have enough time to use it ,even though I want that kind of life-traveling and reding on a train.

I would consider the Kindle I bought the best purchase I've made in years. I've read easily twice as many books than before I had it because it's so nice to read from (VERY lightweight, zero glare, you can make the font larger or smaller, and it always remembers which page you were on).

I have one and love it. If you are any kind of book reader I definitely recommend it. It also saves a lot of space, at least for me it does.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I would suggest a reader not bound to Amazon, since if you put anything on it not from amazon they might shut it down. There are still plenty of online places where you can buy e-books.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought my wife a Nook Color wi-fi for her birthday. She loves it. It's pretty slick.

I prefer having an actual book in my hands, but then I'm old and set in my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    I bought my wife a Nook Color wi-fi for her birthday. She loves it. It's pretty slick.

I prefer having an actual book in my hands, but then I'm old and set in my ways.
    A Romantic man!

I couldn't possibly bring my whole book collection to University, and the collection I have on my Kindle would stretch my shelf space.
    For someone who has to move around regularly any E-Reader is a Godsend.

I have a Nook Color. It runs off Wi-Fi, and in the area I am in, there is a unlimited supply of it. But it is really what your location demands. If you are in a city, you can find a Wi-Fi Hub every 20 feet. If you are in the country, then... good luck!

But when it comes to E-Readers, the only time you will be using the internet is to download a book. Internet Browsing... go to a internet coffee shop, I guess.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by crazyb View Post
    She uses it every night reading before bead
    ....What kind of beads? :P

But seriously, E-Readers are awesome.
    Individuals are not simple. They cannot be defined for easy reference in the manner of:The elves are a lithe, pointy-eared people who excel at poverty.

Deleted
    ? it's a book, why do people get fooled into other things they don't need, why would you need wifi, why would you need anything apart from the ability to do what the divice does and show pages of a book, they can store many book, so you can have a few inside the kindle, and that all you need

It's a replacement for a book, the screen is amazing never get any glare...never hurts your eyes and just download more from the net, when you need more, a good book can last a few day maybe weeks to read..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sant View Post
    ? it's a book, why do people get fooled into other things they don't need, why would you need wifi, why would you need anything apart from the ability to do what the divice does and show pages of a book, they can store many book, so you can have a few inside the kindle, and that all you need
    Is this serious? The purpose of the wifi is to be able to purchase books when you are in locations other than tethered to your computer. Considering half the purpose of an eReader is portability, this is a pretty useful feature for most people. It also allows you to browse Amazon (or B&N for the Nook) or check reviews, as well as access wikipedia and other useful resources why you're reading. I paid $20 more and got the 3G, too.

There are lot of other features besides "viewing books" that people might want or expect if they're going to drop close to $200 on an eReader.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Personally I would suggest a reader not bound to Amazon, since if you put anything on it not from amazon they might shut it down. There are still plenty of online places where you can buy e-books.
    Kindle is sold with pdf support therefor any format that can be converted to pdf can go safely onto a kindle and cannot be "shut down"

I went with the kindle without 3G support, most of the time I'm using it at home so wifi is sufficient. If I am going away then I load it up with more books than I could possibly read on the trip (its not like it adds more weight) so I have never been in a situation where I have wanted to buy a book but couldn't.

However, I do have a tendency to read WoW Insider on it (via the webpage not an article feed) obviously without 3G this isn't always possible, so I have to resort to reading it on a phone which isn't as nice.

If you want a kindle just for reading then I wouldn't worry about 3G, if you want it for web browsing then 3G is probably worth it.