Thread: LulzSec

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

LulzSec

http://gizmodo.com/5813560/

I'd like to see the computer forum's take on this.
    I, for one, think it's compromising government security. Of course there's going to be corruption, it's been that way for hundreds of years. I'm just glad that video game manufacturers and other sites that I frequent are out of the line of fire now...

Unless Lulzsec is hiding some legitimate hacking skills somewhere, this won't last long at all... SQL Injections, DDoS Attacks and Opcrack(ing) passwords != hacking.

Also, the article says "Lulzsec and Anonymous", but then goes on to only quote Lulzsec, they are two different entities. I looked all over Anonymous' Twitter, and I don't see anything confirming their involvement (other than Lulzsec saying they're involved...).

It will be interesting though, I think that, combined, the two (along with whatever other hacker communities decide to join them) might actually be able to accomplish... something?
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-06-20 at 03:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont see this ending well
    Was hit with a nerf bat!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Unless Lulzsec is hiding some legitimate hacking skills somewhere, then this won't last long at all... SQL Injections, DDoS Attacks and Opcrack(ing) passwords =/= hacking.

Also, the article says that "Lulzsec and Anonymous", but then goes on to ONLY quote Lulzsec, they are two different entities...
    Well said, I completely agree.
    Anon's hacking of Sony had some actual intent behind it, and that was fine by me. They didn't release any private info, or anything. Then we get Lulzsec, who thinks that gives them the right to hack and release any information they want.. Gah.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just hope they grow up. They claim to be doing a lot of things for justice, but at the same time they're releasing things such facebook details. I would to hope that in the long run, they turn out not be be a bunch of script kiddies and can actually do something useful while they have all this media hype around them.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...losophy/simple
    Philosophy, Worgen Mage of Magtheridon EU.Mokari, Nelf Hunter of Magtheridon EU (AKA Shikari @ Achindoun). [Currently inactive]

Deleted
    Yeah. This is going to end badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiikarii View Post
    I just hope they grow up. They claim to be doing a lot of things for justice, but at the same time they're releasing things such facebook details. I would to hope that in the long run, they turn out not be be a bunch of script kiddies and can actually do something useful while they have all this media hype around them.
    They dont claim to be doing things for justice its other people that do.

Deleted
    Its mostly just caught attention to all the companies that have for years been cracked and had information silently stolen. Most groups don't reveal their intrusion.

Most companies & sites (particularly if theres no credit card data) do not reveal if there has been a security breach; even if customer information was compromised.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-06-20 at 03:54 PM.

nerds. nerds nerds..
    /thread

User was infracted for this post.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-06-20 at 04:39 PM.

People throw the word "hacking" around much too casually, imo.

I'm not against hackers, a bit is good to keep some companies in check, and also has away to protest, now what's too much is too much, all that will just give governments more reasons and excuses to censorship and control the internet, this kind of attacks will someday kill internet freedom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually 2 out of 3 things you listed are considered hacking.

You may think you are the biggest candy in the jar, but when security is compromised and there is a chance of data being lost/stolen, that will cost money to someone. In all your elitism you forgot the real meaning of hacking. It really doesnt matter if he is just clicking a button called "Hack it!".
    Even DDoSing could be considered a hack if you deny access to a service that returns money to it's owner (big example, amazon.com being ddosed would have costed a small fortune to them).

There is no semantics and name-calling ("script kiddie") when there is money involved.
    Exploiting a security breach = Hacking.

So cut it out with the attitudes.

EDIT
    New forum autosave is so broken.
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2011-06-20 at 04:07 PM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Actually 2 out of 3 things you listed are considered hacking.

You may think you are the biggest candy in the jar, but when security is compromised and there is a chance of data being lost/stolen, that will cost money to someone. In all your elitism you forgot the real meaning of hacking. It really doesnt matter if he is just clicking a button called "Hack it!".
    Even DDoSing could be considered a hack if you deny access to a service that returns money to it's owner (big example, amazon.com being ddosed would have costed a small fortune to them).

There is no semantics and name-calling ("script kiddie") when there is money involved.
    Exploiting a security breach = Hacking.

So cut it out with the attitudes.

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 12:05 PM ----------

Thus why i said 2/3.

A DDoS is just like hitting the refresh button a million times.
    No need to be rude...

Deleted
    thier whole campaign of #ANTISEC is probably the single worst move they could have made, by publicly announcing that there going after Government Agencies, they might as well have painted a Giant bullseye on there back. this leads me to two conclusions,

1 - Lulzsec is either an individual or group of immature people who do not realise the royal shitstorm that there going to get into, Not since Kevin Mitnick has there been so much media hype over a computer "hacker" and when they get caught, they will have the book thrown at them.

or

2 - Lulzsec are part of a government group designed to frighten people into moving away from net neutrality and demanding that we have some sort of governing body regulating what is available on the net, in this case they will never be caught, and eventually the press interest around them will just slowly dwindle away when they stop posting there "releases" via p2p network.

I really havent made mind mind up about them yet, and have been watching there twitter feed every day or so. part of me thinks what there doing is interesting. especially when you here of sysops using there admin passwords on there googlemail accounts (really stupid) and other part of me thinks there giant attention seeking idiots for releasing information such as contestant contact details of a TV show.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the final result will end up being a massive reaction from the government which suppresses our internet freedom in a way that the average user won't experience any personal freedom or anonymity anymore... Also, I can't imagine they're that good at "hacking". I'm sure they could get tracked down, and I don't think they realize that what they've done is created a threat of terrorism against ALL forms of Government around the world. It could potentially end in terrorism prosecution by the government toward the hackers.

...I'm gonna go out and openly admit it: I await whatever pathetic excuse they try and come up with in court.
    By the looks of it Lulzsec don't really have any sort of shreds or common sense, and will last till it blasts in their face.

Or, in other words, I expect them to be found out and prosecuted.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-06-20 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I think the final result will end up being a massive reaction from the government which suppresses our internet freedom in a way that the average user won't experience any personal freedom or anonymity anymore...
    The hell they will. It's bad enough that Americans enforce their rules and undemocratic lifestyle in the physical world, but on the Internet?
    That's not a right they can just take. Seriously. If they will, I'll stand on the side of the liberators. -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    The hell they will. It's bad enough that Americans enforce their rules and undemocratic lifestyle in the physical world, but on the Internet?
    That's not a right they can just take. Seriously. If they will, I'll stand on the side of the liberators. -.-
    It's not just America, it's directed toward EVERY form of government.