Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Alchemy, the wasted raid profession when it comes to raiding

Before you read this post and start QQing about how much money you can make in WoW with alch, I advise you to calm down and reread the title of the thread. I make lots of money on alch, that's why I have 3 alch. All of which are xmute masters; however, my main is JC/BS. I would never have alch on my main and this is why...

What do you personally gain that no one else does in raids?

Mixology, double the duration of any elixir or flask. Mixology is a waste when cauldrons are out. Providing you have the guild rank for max charges and duration, guildies flask will only last two hours while yours last 4 hours. The guild is going to have to redrop another cauldron, so the benefit of your mixology is wasted.

What else do you gain?

An alch only trinket, but once you get geared that trinket is trash. It's only good for alts or when you first ding 85.

You get to drop a cauldron for the guild!!

Gratz, you're like a mage. Your raid doesn't need and alch for raid. You can have an alt drop one at the summoning stone. My guild has an alch, so she drops them in our raid. In our alt runs we don't have one at all, so I bring one of my other alts to drop cauldrons at the summoning stone, then I switch back to my alt.

You get to make a Flask of Enchantment for arena and 5 mans!

I redirect you to the title of the thread. During raids you'll never use that.

If you want to make a lot of gold, but are willing to sacrifice benefits to your own character then alchemy is for you. Alch are like tanks and healers, everyone takes them for granted. They resupply your guild banks with pots and flask, but outside of that, the person with the profession really doesn't gain much from a raid pov.

EDIT: So the tooltip doesn't show up for me to show the increased benefit from the profession. Disregard this thread. I apologize for wasting 2ms of your life.
    Last edited by Castimcnasti; 2011-06-27 at 03:59 PM.

Deleted
    Drinking a flask doubles its duration and gives you 80 extra of the stat, which means unless your dropping the cauldron, you'll be taking your own flasks anyway for the extra duration + extra primary stat.

Deleted
    You do know that you gain an increased effect from flasks, which results in the same stat bonus as every other profession, 80 agi, int or strength right?
    If you already thought of this, what profession do you suggest that we all pick up instead of alchemy to increase our contribution to the raid?

Um............ From this point of view, then no profession is worth it from a raid perspective? Alch, like the other professions, gives you +80 to your best stat (works from guild cauldrons too). Professions such as LW can make gear, but anyone can benefit from that as well. I guess I don't get your point.

Edit: For clarity.

Actually, I get 399 Agi when i drink my own flask so +99. I'll edit this post within an hour if it has been changed, but ironically I was coming into this forum to post this question when I saw the op. I'll verify it with no buffs, totems etc. I'll double verify with my other alchemist to be more thorough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeague View Post
    Actually, I get 399 Agi when i drink my own flask so +99. I'll edit this post within an hour if it has been changed, but ironically I was coming into this forum to post this question when I saw the op. I'll verify it with no buffs, totems etc. I'll double verify with my other alchemist to be more thorough.
    Divide 399 by 1.05 and you'll see you only gain 80 intellect base, but its increase by 5% due to your armour bonus (passive), which is where the 1.05 comes from.

Or Basically : 399/1.05 = 380. Which is what you should get.

If people get bummed over what proffession I use, I just wouldnt play with them. It's the same frigging thing, only different stats with all proffessions. Just JC has a bit higher stats.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    My alch toons are showing up only as the default amount on the flask when they use them

15+ Year Old Account
    Mixology gives around 25% boost to the flask taken, which comes out to around ~80 stats of your chosing, just as every other profession (besides engineering) gives. So of course, alchemy is just as good for raiding as any other crafting profession.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Deleted
    You only get 80, you get the 19 extra from your 5% to primary stat. ((300+80)*1.05) = 399

Quote Originally Posted by Castimcnasti View Post
    My alch toons are showing up only as the default amount on the flask when they use them
    Check your stats, rather than the buff tooltip.

Deleted
    Tooltips dont change, but if you manually calculate the gain in your primary stat before and after using a flask via the character pane, you'll see you get extra.

Might as well call JC, LW, and BS wasted too. The only raiding benefits those give is +80 of your primary stat. Just like Alchy, but Alchy gives the convenience of added flask duration to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Mixology gives around 25% boost to the flask taken, which comes out to around ~80 stats of your chosing, just as every other profession (besides engineering) gives. So of course, alchemy is just as good for raiding as any other crafting profession.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82175 Synapse springs, when used on cooldown, averages to 80 of your stat, I believe.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rewn View Post
    Tooltips dont change, but if you manually calculate the gain in your primary stat before and after using a flask via the character pane, you'll see you get extra.
    That's lame, but the tooltips work on trinkets and other items like your class buffs/procs through talents. Why not flask? I do know that the core hound pet for BM hunters isn't updated, the heroism debuff says you cant benefit from another ancient hysteria, but you doesn't say anything about hero/timewarp, but it shares the same CD even though tooltip doesn't say so.
    Last edited by Castimcnasti; 2011-06-27 at 03:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    imo this was a complete waste of time to read. how is alch not beneficial? Dropping a cauldron for your entire raid that supplies them with flasks. Saves money and you know that people will have their flask buff. You could argue the same about cooking.. Ok so what you can drop a seafood feast that buffs your stam and primary stat by 90, but thats just dumb because everyone could go buy their own food. See the picture here? Why would you have everyone go out and buy a few stacks of entirely different food buffs when you can drop one and have all...?

That's lame, but the tooltips work on trinkets and other items like your class buffs/procs through talents. Why not flask on other items
    What do you mean? Buff tooltips are fairly static and always have been.

Forgetting truegold transmutes for crafting epic weapons, which in turn are used to raid with.
    Where I come from, fag means cigarette.

Mixology gives the same stat increase as other proffesions, enchanting gives +80 to int via ring enchants, mixology gives +380 int via flask - 300 is the normal + the 80 from the mixology bonus.

someone claiming to have 3 alchemists should know this.

as was pointed out, mixology will give you +80 int/strength/agi on top of the base 300 from the flask. check your facts next time before you rant about nothing