Poll: Which MMO mechanic?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Actually some books and games outside of WoW are referenced to ingame,if you click some books in various places like libraries or studies you can read about them.

Also,we're talking about WotA for example,that was 10K years ago,you can't really expect quest givers to still mention that..
    That's the problem though, you have to LOOK for the lore, for the story, imo the story should be part of the regular game play, as opposed to reading 3 paragraphs of quest text every 5-10 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

2 of these don't even exist in the marketplace yet. Honestly, no matter how many walkthroughs you see and read about, there's no real test of an MMO like actually playing it yourself, and seeing where the community takes it.

FWIW, Wow + Rift + SW:TOR all descend from the same hotkey EQ model and will not offer very much different from eachtother from a mechanics perspective. GW2 is trying to eliminate the holy trinity of tank/healer/dps, so that will be the most different of the bunch. As to whether GW2 is successful, that's another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    2 of these don't even exist in the marketplace yet. Honestly, no matter how many walkthroughs you see and read about, there's no real test of an MMO like actually playing it yourself, and seeing where the community takes it.

FWIW, Wow + Rift + SW:TOR all descend from the same hotkey EQ model and will not offer very much different from eachtother from a mechanics perspective. GW2 is trying to eliminate the holy trinity of tank/healer/dps, so that will be the most different of the bunch. As to whether GW2 is successful, that's another matter.

I feel like i've actually finally found someone on this site that doesn't wildly jump to conclusions thank the lord.

As much as i love the storyline in the previous old republic games and progressing through the new storyline in SWTOR. I'm really looking forward to the dynamic events in GW2, they seem really awesome with the scaling and in and epic open world setting. Even though i'll be playing SWTOR mainly, the dynamic events impress me more than just the storyline in SWTOR in relation to this poll.

I live to cleanse the galaxy of all Republic scum for my great Emperor

I've chosen GW2, it at least sounds like they are trying to fix what I think is wrong with MMOs and even if they don't succeed it's enough to put them in the first place. However I'm growing each day more sceptical of TOR. Every new tidbit of information is a new dissapointment and a new example of a total lack of cretivity, plus none of the footage I've seen makes me feel "I really want to play this game", but I suppose I'll give it a try if I have time.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    with dynamic path I might actually level more alts than in WoW, in the past few expansions theyve all had the exact same questline and it gets stale after a few run-throughs

Final Fantasy 14 Online:=) Gamereviewers might hate it, but I sure bloody love it

Want to know the problem right now? The pure arrogance from ArenaNET with this theory that they will get it perfect. That their system is perfect and everyone else is wrong. So many reasons why this is just going to back fire and the hilarious part is after they get you to buy the game who cares.

Come on guys seriously? Guild Wars sold 10 MILLIOn copies and you mean to tell me that 10 million people played it? People quit that game for a reason and now GW2 is supposed to be this magical re birth and just perfect. All is forgiven after 6 years all is forgiven. GW2 fans make no sense and it is beyond pointless trying to argue with them.

This all is forgiven mentality and lets pretend like the last 6 years never happened is just crazy to me. It is like NCSoft releasing Blade and Soul in America AND expecting me to play it??!? Not on a dare. Screw em. That building can burn down for all I care. Why forgive ArenaNET all of a sudden? Wat they screwed up with Guild Wars so they will do it better with GW2 magically?

SWTOR: Those content patches after release better be perfect. If they want that WoW model then they better have LFG on release..server x-fers...and all those little features WoW fans SCREAMED at Trion to put in the game. I want to see how WoW/Rift fans handle it when they realize they can not even dual spec in SWToR. Boy wait until that reality sinks in.

TERA: Failing hard in Korea and hoping for a magical rebirth in America. derrr make a game with no end game content and some pvp and not listen your playerbase = ......

Rift: Issues fixed in hours....completely separate path from Blizzard. Actually Trion is the only company I have seen in years call Blizzard out. NOONE else has done this because they are scared. Atleast Trion realized pretty much a crap ton of people in the MMORPG market now play WoW and their might be something about that game that people like.

GW2 feels the need to reinvent things that are not broken and keep the same mechanics. This is going to backfire in their 5mans and pvp. ArenaNET is under some magical impression that if they give you the ability to tank you will want too. Whatever let them learn the hard way why their is a Trinity in MMORPG's in the first place.

This is like Aion fans telling me the game is better. It does not change the fact NCSoft shit all over my trust and faith in their game and made me feel used for my money. This is like Blizzard telling me to come back to WoW when they have not changed and only will change if they get desperate for subs. To hell with them both.

All of them can be successful, but the fans all feel the need to kill the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Want to know the problem right now? The pure arrogance from ArenaNET with this theory that they will get it perfect. That their system is perfect and everyone else is wrong. So many reasons why this is just going to back fire and the hilarious part is after they get you to buy the game who cares.

Come on guys seriously? Guild Wars sold 10 MILLIOn copies and you mean to tell me that 10 million people played it? People quit that game for a reason and now GW2 is supposed to be this magical re birth and just perfect. All is forgiven after 6 years all is forgiven. GW2 fans make no sense and it is beyond pointless trying to argue with them.

SWTOR: Those content patches after release better be perfect. If they want that WoW model then they better have LFG on release..server x-fers...and all those little features WoW fans SCREAMED at Trion to put in the game. I want to see how WoW/Rift fans handle it when they realize they can not even dual spec in SWToR. Boy wait until that reality sinks in.

TERA: Failing hard in Korea and hoping for a magical rebirth in America. derrr make a game with no end game content and some pvp and not listen your playerbase = ......

Rift: Issues fixed in hours....completely separate path from Blizzard. Actually Trion is the only company I have seen in years call Blizzard out. NOONE else has done this because they are scared. Atleast Trion realized pretty much a crap ton of people in the MMORPG market now play WoW and their might be something about that game that people like.

GW2 feels the need to reinvent things that are not broken and keep the same mechanics. This is going to backfire in their 5mans and pvp. ArenaNET is under some magical impression that if they give you the ability to tank you will want too. Whatever let them learn the hard way why their is a Trinity in MMORPG's in the first place.

All of them can be successful, but the fans all feel the need to kill the other.
    When have they ever said GW2 will be perfect? You praise Trion but they are pretty much the most arrogant MMO company with how they go about advertising. How is Arenanet being arrogant? Do you have any proof or is this just you make things up again?

Not broken? Is that why there's a lot of people tired of that formula and want something new? Sure, people still like it, but there is A LOT of people wanting a new MMO experience.

Deleted
    i never read questtexts, i hate the dps/heal/tank situation and the rifts in rift are just a commercial gag

so i voted gw2 and i think i actually might buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    When have they ever said GW2 will be perfect? You praise Trion but they are pretty much the most arrogant MMO company with how they go about advertising. How is Arenanet being arrogant? Do you have any proof or is this just you make things up again?

Not broken? Is that why there's a lot of people tired of that formula and want something new? Sure, people still like it, but there is A LOT of people wanting a new MMO experience.
    BUT THEY ADVERTISE....They sit there and say "hey guess what MY game is better then yours". Why are MMO companies like BioWARE and ArenaNET so scared of Blizzard.

WoW fans are PISSED and a easy audience to get if you are not complete failure. I mean jesus christ Aion could have destroyed WoW if NCSoft gave two shits about it. Aion is flipping HUGE in Korea with unbelivable support and just massive world combat and incredible stuff, but is utter shit here.

WAR could have been great, but it was ignored....Vanguard could have been great, but was ignored. Honestly am I the only person whop feels like RIFT is the only game in the last 5 years who has had actually developers on it after it was released? The speed and pace Trion is working I seriously do not think BioWARE or ArenaNET can keep up with,

They heavily invested in their servers and dev team and just do straight magic. Take my word they are not perfect and hiring Gersch was a bad idea...letting him talk was a even worse idea. Rift is just a great game with a lot of haters. I think their a shit ton of people just pissed RIFT even exist and is still talked about.

Rift was never supposed to be a big name in 2011. 2011 was supposed to be GW2 and SWToR the big games that would gut WoW. Now people in guilds are saying I am staying put. Why leave Rift? They are saying "yeah I will play GW2, but I will also play Rift". I mean take a hint. Rift is still alive and growing which should tell you something about this genre. IT IS NOT DEAD IF THE DAMN MMO COMPANY ACTUALLY puts money into their game to make it better.

Trion has done stuff that would make WoW fans crap their pants if they saw Blizzard ever do it with 1/11 the population.

BUT THEY ADVERTISE....They sit there and say "hey guess what MY game is better then yours". Why are MMO companies like BioWARE and ArenaNET so scared of Blizzard.
    Who says they're scared of Blizzard? Arenanet as far as I'm concerned isn't even competing with WoW, if that were the case I'm pretty sure they would of made GW2 Pay-to-play. I don't find it good advertising to shove down everyone's throats that "HEY LOOK WE'RE BETTER THAN WoW!!1" Honestly, I would of tried Rift, but their advertising is what really makes me not want to give them a dime of my money or time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Who says they're scared of Blizzard? Arenanet as far as I'm concerned isn't even competing with WoW, if that were the case I'm pretty sure they would of made GW2 Pay-to-play. I don't find it good advertising to shove down everyone's throats that "HEY LOOK WE'RE BETTER THAN WoW!!1" Honestly, I would of tried Rift, but their advertising is what really makes me not want to give them a dime of my money or time.
    I regretfully own rift now (bought it on the steam sale) and I've already canceled the sub. I mean yeah, I guess it was just the WoW nostalgia running through me because I really did kind like the whole soul system, but when I got all three souls it turned out looking like WoW talent trees for each class, yeah you can choose what's in your tree, but afterwards it's pretty much the same old thing, with more benefits for focusing a single tree than there really is for branching out. Think of it as the old WoW talent trees. The Rifts that I did do weren't all that entertaining either it was basically like they threw a dungeon/ raid in the middle of a zone and you can't do anything else till it's done. Just my opinion though.

As for Guild Wars advertisements, those are purely from conventions, interviews, and their own website. There are no commercials about "You're not in Azeroth any more" or "Join our horde!" It's just them discussing and showing their product.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Anet never said anything remotely resembling that. What they did say was that they have set out to make the best game ever. Isn't that every company's goal? I get that you don't like the game for whatever reason, but please stop imagining things, it takes away your credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Anet never said anything remotely resembling that. What they did say was that they have set out to make the best game ever. Isn't that every company's goal? I get that you don't like the game for whatever reason, but please stop imagining things, it takes away your credibility.
    I'll be fair to Puremallace and say what you quoted he was talking about how Rift advertises since I brought it up. Just thought I'd clear that up.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it would have to be GW2 because I'm in it for the action when it comes to games. I used to like the story part but after playing so many games I began to be able to categorize the story quests gave me, like go find dead guy when I'm told to look for someone who went missing and it just showed how everything was so generic. I would rather having events unfold right in front of me than to read a bunch of text and try to use "IMAGINATION" to picture how it happened.

But if I had to give it an order for how I would enjoy things in one play through it would be GW2 style > SWTOR > WoW > Rift. Not that WoW or Rift is bad but they don't really get me immersed with the game.

Dungeons are working more than fine and are tuned well, people played and were satisfied with the changes.. check detailed reviews and info if you want to bash the game. PvP was never dependant and is not affected with changes, it's well put together with many different choices and tools. Say hello to the real pvp specs.

Puremallace is starting to feel like he's desperately trying to bash GW2 and praise Rift in every post but slowly running out of arguments. Stick to your copy and keep these venomous posts out. Just ignore him
    Last edited by Lefuu; 2011-07-09 at 08:43 AM.

ArenaNet devs have said things like "as a structure the MMO has lost the ability to make you feel like a hero" and "the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff" and "We don't think that's ok." So I'll agree that this remotely resembles "MY game is better than yours." (Remotely.)

What do you expect out of a PR campaign? This is exactly what they should be talking about -- parts of their game that they think are better than the competition.

I appreciate the fact that there's actually some substance to their claims, they've taken a lot of basic MMO systems (how does combat play? how do you level? what does endgame PvP look like?) and significantly reworked them. And they at least have the courtesy to be somewhat diplomatic with their potshots, and not pick on WoW explicitly. Compare that to Rift's "we're not in Azeroth anymore" marketing, given the systems used in Rift...

The entertainment industry talking big is just inevitable... we'll see if Anet can back it up.

10+ Year Old Account

This all is forgiven mentality and lets pretend like the last 6 years never happened is just crazy to me. It is like NCSoft releasing Blade and Soul in America AND expecting me to play it??!? Not on a dare. Screw em. That building can burn down for all I care. Why forgive ArenaNET all of a sudden? Wat they screwed up with Guild Wars so they will do it better with GW2 magically?

This is like Aion fans telling me the game is better. It does not change the fact NCSoft shit all over my trust and faith in their game and made me feel used for my money. This is like Blizzard telling me to come back to WoW when they have not changed and only will change if they get desperate for subs. To hell with them both.

Brings a smile to my face knowing what Anet and Bioware will do to Trion. Oh how sweet the QQ will be. Just to be clear, it isn't even RIFT that's the problem. It's the advertisers, and the fanatical players.

I regretfully own rift now (bought it on the steam sale) and I've already canceled the sub. I mean yeah, I guess it was just the WoW nostalgia running through me because I really did kind like the whole soul system, but when I got all three souls it turned out looking like WoW talent trees for each class, yeah you can choose what's in your tree, but afterwards it's pretty much the same old thing, with more benefits for focusing a single tree than there really is for branching out. Think of it as the old WoW talent trees. The Rifts that I did do weren't all that entertaining either it was basically like they threw a dungeon/ raid in the middle of a zone and you can't do anything else till it's done. Just my opinion though.

As for Guild Wars advertisements, those are purely from conventions, interviews, and their own website. There are no commercials about "You're not in Azeroth any more" or "Join our horde!" It's just them discussing and showing their product.
    Were you one of the people I warned about it.
    Last edited by lunaspike; 2011-07-09 at 08:44 AM.

Deleted
    Your missing "the Secret World" on that list thats what im most exited about.

the Research mission - where you have to go outside of the game to figure out the solution.