Thread: Overpriced?

Overpriced?

Case
    Azza Spartan Gaming Case Black

Processor
    Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

Cooling
    Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel) - ARC Dual Silent High Perfornamce Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

Memory
    8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module

Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - 1GB - Single Card

Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67-M

Power Supply
    650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2

Hard Drive
    1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive

For about 970 dollars. Is this system overpriced? Is there any improvements I can make to it?

Edit: Updated with some changes.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2011-06-20 at 07:56 PM.

Deleted
    I would go for a better mobo and a better psu, but that's just me. Those are the two parts of the computer I would never, ever cheap out on.

Deleted
    Seems reasonable to me although I never deal in dollars. Just a suggestion, if its just for gaming you are better off getting an i5 because i7 performance in games over the i5 isn't what you'd expect.

No, not overpriced per se, but a lil' odd-looking. A microATX? 16MB cache on the HDD? GTX 550Ti?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    16MB cache on the HDD?
    As far as I understand it, cache-size is due to the amount of different platters on the drives.

Yes, but I seem to recall most 1TBs having 32MB. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Everoth View Post
    Seems reasonable to me although I never deal in dollars. Just a suggestion, if its just for gaming you are better off getting an i5 because i7 performance in games over the i5 isn't what you'd expect.
    I heard something about that.. Thanks for the tip.. I will change it. That will actually drop the price by quite a bit as well.

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by foolmetwice View Post
    I would go for a better mobo and a better psu, but that's just me. Those are the two parts of the computer I would never, ever cheap out on.
    Hmm, I thought the Corsair's were good power supplies? Any suggestions? I don't know much about the motherboard, would also like some suggestions on that..

I'm just looking for something that I can play all of the current games on high graphical settings where it doesn't slow up the PC and I run into no issues regarding performance and something that will last me for at least 5 or more years. For a price that won't break the bank that is.
    Last edited by AdrianCC100; 2011-06-20 at 08:02 PM.

This isn't a prebuilt I take it then? What site are you ordering from?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Hmm, I thought the Corsair's were good power supplies? Any suggestions? I don't know much about the motherboard, would also like some suggestions on that..

I'm just looking for something that I can play all of the current games on high graphical settings where it doesn't slow up the PC and I run into no issues regarding performance and something that will last me for at least 5 or more years. For a price that won't break the bank that is.
    First of all, the PSU is fine. It's not something I personally would choose (ironically, I did, so I'm using that PSU (v1 though). It's not bad at all! But knowing what I know now, I would've taken something better. It's perfectly fine though. I'm just a perfectionist).
    It's also powerfull enough to be able to power two of the GPU you chose. (Three if it had supported tri-SLI :P)

I'd also change the memory to 2x4096MiB instead. The fewer DIMMs, the better. Better stability, more upgradability should you want to add two new.

The GPU is also on the weak side. I'd suggest getting more oomph, by getting a Radeon HD6870 or a HD6950 instead. A GeForce GTX560Ti (note the Ti in the end; there's one without with the same price, but less power).
    The GTX550Ti can barely play current games at high settings; I'd get something that could do it comfortably, and hope for the best in game-optimisation in the future.

To understand how graphic cards are numbered:
    abcd
    a = Series
    b = Quality
    c = Submodel
    d = ...revision? Not sure.

Three digit numbers means you go for abc. Not more complicated than that.

Example: GTX 460 is better than GTX 550. Now, it's not always as clear cut. Some cards are inherently just terrible, but it's a general guideline. 560Ti is 15% better than its more plain 560.