Desktop 1600 Euros Portugal

Hello there, its time for me to empty my wallet, aka buy a new desktop.

How much you want to spend:

1700 euros no more

What all you plan to use it for:

Gaming, CAD, Programming, Simulation software like ANSYS

What Operating system you want to use & Bit:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bits

What Resolution you hope to be in:

1900x1080

What Country are you from:

Portugal

What can you re-use:

DVD-Drive

Network will be wired or wireless:

Wireless

Any Additional Info Here:

I do prefer 2500k.

I have the current build in mind:

Case: Coolermaster CM690 II Light Black RC-690 II Light - 74 €
    Power Supply: Fonte Corsair HX-650W Modular HX-650 - 109 €
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO - 174 €
    Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K - 185,90 €
    Cooler: Artic Cooling Freezer 13 - 26,90 €
    RAM: Gskill DDR3 PC12800 Ripjaws 8GB - 71,91 €
    Graphics Card: Asus ATI EAH6970 2GB DDR5 - 337,50 €
    Disco: Western Digital 1.5TB SATA II - 54,50 €
    Monitor: Samsung 23'' XL2370 LED 219,00 €
    Keyboard: Razer Arctosa - 55,82 €
    UPS: UPS FSP EP850 850VA - 67,65 €
    Wireless: Asus PCI PCI-G31 54Mbps - 17,99 €
    SSD: OCZ 2.5'' SSD Agility 3 120GB - 199,00 €

Total: 1593.17

So what you think I should change?

Many thanks.

Deleted
    hi there m8.

IMO, i would forget SSD for now because you'll spend 200 € in a 120GB high-end disk, when you play a game that occupates 40% (and still growing) of that capacity.

With the money you'll save, buy a core i7 2600k and clock it up! and change board. Personaly, i would wait for Intel's new microarchiteture.

Buy a Western Digital 1TB SataIII 6GB/s instead.

Cheers, I'm from Portugal too, and i have a skt 1366 Core i7 3.4GHz OC with a western digital sata III and i can personal garantee you that it rocks (:

Hi there

Hm.. would I need a better cooler then?

Deleted
    hummm naaaaa.

I still using Thermaltake OrbII that is design for socket 775 but fortunantly it fixed in my new skt1366 board and it's pretty cool (:

so i'm pretty confidant you won't have a problem with that one ;D

I'm running 3.4 with little thermal mass and I don't have heat problems till the moment ^^ good shopping

Quote Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
    I have the current build in mind:
    Monitor: Samsung 23'' XL2370 LED 219,00 €
    Wireless: Asus PCI PCI-G31 54Mbps - 17,99 €

So what you think I should change?
    Change that wireless card, other parts should be ok. 54mbps, aka. 802.11g wlan is already old tech, get "n" capable 150-300mbps wireless card instead. Even if you don't see that kind of speeds, the antennas are better in new wireless cards and gives you better connection.

I also have that exact same monitor as my primary screen. I love the picture quality especially in movies/games, but it has one big weakness: no adjustments of any kind on the stand. If that wont be a problem, you'll be very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xplodgift View Post
    IMO, i would forget SSD for now because you'll spend 200 € in a 120GB high-end disk, when you play a game that occupates 40% (and still growing) of that capacity.
    What game might that be? If you're talking about WoW, it takes 20-25GB of disc space depending on cache size, nowhere near 40% by my math. Also SSD is the single biggest speed improvement you can get past 2500K + R6970 for any kind of daily computer use so it's totally fine.

With the money you'll save, buy a core i7 2600k and clock it up! and change board. Personaly, i would wait for Intel's new microarchiteture.
    Wait for what? Sandy Bridges just came out few months ago. Also speed difference between i5-2500K and i7-2600K is very small for the use OP is getting the computer for, and probably not worth upping the budget by another 100€.

Buy a Western Digital 1TB SataIII 6GB/s instead.
    Slower HDD is totally fine with SSD, although personally I wouldn't still take 'green' models but some 'average' disc instead.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-06-20 at 10:23 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Alot of thanks for both of you.
    Will buy a 'n' wireless card then.

What game might that be? If you're talking about WoW, it takes 20-25GB of disc space depending on cache size, nowhere near 40% by my math. Also SSD is the single biggest speed improvement you can get past 2500K + R6970 for any kind of daily computer use so it's totally fine.
    Thats what I thought, since I will not do any aggressive CAD, that the 2500k would be enough for what I want.

Will probably just go for the 2500k then and change the wireless card.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would drop SSD to some midrange 60 GB one. Then install windows and those simulation and CAD programs. I wouldn't really care about games + SSD that much atm. For me games are starting and working fast enough not to cause annoyance. But when it comes to school/work stuff you will be doing it's best to minimize the stress so you can work more efficiently and longer period of time that way. But that's only my opinion. There's no right or wrong in this case. Just what's best suited for you and we outsiders cant really know that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    well, what i mean was Wow occupies around 30Gb + 10 for Windows( +- GB) . At the end, in the context of gaming, you'll have around 40 GB occupied to be able to play wow.

Wait for what? Sandy Bridges just came out few months ago. Also speed difference between i5-2500K and i7-2600K is very small for the use OP is getting the computer for, and probably not worth upping the budget by another 100€.
    Ye, the diffrence is not that big but once is going to spend 1.7k, at least he would buy the top with that money (if not in mistake, new micro-architecture will be released in 3 or 4 months right? we would be the most updated as possible)

Slower HDD is totally fine with SSD, although personally I wouldn't still take 'green' models but some 'average' disc instead.
    Well, WD Sata III 6GB/s is a caviar black disk with pretty awesome performance. i know that is not comparable to a SSD but he would be able to install a lot of games and programs withou lacking of space and with a pretty good performance.

Cheers
    Last edited by mmocb0f6251fa6; 2011-06-20 at 10:37 AM.

Deleted
    It is faster to have 2 smaller HDD's in raid setup then one bigger HDD!

Quote Originally Posted by Drifted View Post
    I would drop SSD to some midrange 60 GB one. Then install windows and those simulation and CAD programs. I wouldn't really care about games + SSD that much atm. For me games are starting and working fast enough not to cause annoyance. ... There's no right or wrong in this case.
    Actually there is right and wrong, very big one. 60GB should be considered to be the bare minimum, I have one and I hate how I can't even fit my most used programs in it. With OP's price range 100-128GB is definitely the right choice to not get cramped without discspace too fast. If games is what you do a lot (gaming was listed first in OP after all) then games definitely should be on the SSD because odds are those are the most used programs.

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 01:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rockmahparty View Post
    It is faster to have 2 smaller HDD's in raid setup then one bigger HDD!
    It's also rather pointless for anything else except video editing since SSDs are much faster.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I would drop SSD to some midrange 60 GB one. Then install windows and those simulation and CAD programs. I wouldn't really care about games + SSD that much atm. For me games are starting and working fast enough not to cause annoyance. But when it comes to school/work stuff you will be doing it's best to minimize the stress so you can work more efficiently and longer period of time that way. But that's only my opinion. There's no right or wrong in this case. Just what's best suited for you and we outsiders cant really know that.
    Thanks for your help

Ye, the diffrence is not that bigg but once is going to spend 1.7k, at least he would buy the top with that money (if not in mistake, new micro-architecture will be released in 3 or 4 months right? we would be the most updated as possible)
    Are you saying I should wait for the Ivy Bridge? Or the Bulldozer?

Actually there is right and wrong, very big one. 60GB should be considered to be the bare minimum, I have one and I hate how I can't even fit my most used programs in it. With OP's price range 100-128GB is definitely the right choice to not get cramped without discspace too fast. If games is what you do a lot (gaming was listed first in OP after all) then games definitely should be on the SSD because odds are those are the most used programs.
    Windows, small programs, Matlab, Solidworks + couple of games... do think I will buy the 120 gb then.
    Last edited by SixShooter; 2011-06-20 at 10:49 AM.

Personally I would wait a bit to see how bulldozer preforms, if not and atm, would buy a 2500K around 8Gb ram.. not necessarily because 8GB is that important but because I see it has either 8 or 4, so 8 it is. The SSD... well personally having games+programs+windows in the same disc I would consider 120GB a minimal to have some space freedom.
    Try to see prices at http://www.kuantokusta.pt/ btw, e boa sorte, fica bem.

Personally I would wait a bit to see how bulldozer preforms, if not and atm, would buy a 2500K around 8Gb ram.. not necessarily because 8GB is that important but because I see it has either 8 or 4, so 8 it is. The SSD... well personally having games+programs+windows in the same disc I would consider 120GB a minimal to have some space freedom.
    Try to see prices at http://www.kuantokusta.pt/ btw, e boa sorte, fica bem.
    But then comes Ivy... bah!!!! Why do PC kept evolving... obrigado

Quote Originally Posted by Enola View Post
    Personally I would wait a bit to see how bulldozer preforms,
    Nobody knows when it actually comes out, and all leaked/faked info so far shows it sucks in single threaded apps (like games for example) compared to Sandy Bridges. I wouldn't wait at this point, maybe if you're planning to buy closer to christmas.
    Trolling should be.

I was thinking to buy know... I guess I will just buy the 2500k and forget about it for the next 3 for 4 years.