Thread: New PC

New PC

Hey guys i intend to order a new pc(in parts that is) this Wednesday. i think i got it covered but i could use some feedback

Proc: Intel i7 2600
    Motherboard: Asus P8H67-M LE B3
    Memory: Kingston 2x 4gb 1333mhz DDR3
    Ssd: OCZ vertex 2 60GB
    HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 desktop class
    Case: Silverstone fortress FT03s
    GPU: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC
    powersuply: CoolerMaster silent pro M600

im going to use it for gaming as well as programming and intent to stream and record some raids and stuff.. i do not want to OC.
    im going for the Silverstone because i find it amazingly awesome looking and i don't mind having to go for a microATX board.

let me know.

10+ Year Old Account
    the "k" series isn't just overclocking, its graphics too:

Intel's new Sandybridge based CPU's is a complete new refresh that requires new socket LGA1155 mainboards. This new platform uses less power and has vastly superior integrated graphics. The HD2000 graphics is capable of all multimedia task featuring DirectX 10.1 runtime making them ideal for gamers too. The K series edition processors are unlocked on the multiplier allowing overclocking and also feature HD3000 onboard graphics which feature twice the horsepower of the HD2000 making them ideal for gamers and have support for 3D Gaming. The new Sandybridge K series processors also feature immense overclocking as well.
    I wouldn't bother with an SSD at this point, wait a bit till they're more stable/last longer and are better value.

yes i know, but with my gpu card it doesn't really matter if there is good onboard graphics does it?

for the ssd it pure fun im buying the 60gb version to work with it and see how they preform.. and its only 90euro's

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    The performance with the SSD's is very nice sadly I do agree with Djinni on this though the stability and longevity oh them however comes into question a lot. While you are not paying much for one you could get a normal HD at 7200rpm and bigger for prob cheaper and be just as happy (and it would last a long time)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    the "k" series isn't just overclocking, its graphics too:

I wouldn't bother with an SSD at this point, wait a bit till they're more stable/last longer and are better value.
    Graphics that don't work when you put in a dedicated graphics card, however it can decrease rendering times I believe.

More stable? Last longer? Those two points I completely disagree with, yes some SSDs have issues, you just need to buy the right product. I also completely agree with the value statement, they're an overpriced luxury at best. When they're more in line with mainstream data prices I'll pick one up, until then I'll leave it be:P

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cidic View Post
    The performance with the SSD's is very nice sadly I do agree with Djinni on this though the stability and longevity oh them however comes into question a lot. While you are not paying much for one you could get a normal HD at 7200rpm and bigger for prob cheaper and be just as happy (and it would last a long time)
    A quality SSD will last god only knows how long, I wouldn't choose OCZ because of the amount of problems I've heard with some of their drives, I'd either take Intel or maybe Corsair.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    True OCZ has a bad track record and I've heard very bad things with their drives as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Graphics that don't work when you put in a dedicated graphics card, however it can decrease rendering times I believe.

More stable? Last longer? Those two points I completely disagree with, yes some SSDs have issues, you just need to buy the right product. I also completely agree with the value statement, they're an overpriced luxury at best. When they're more in line with mainstream data prices I'll pick one up, until then I'll leave it be:P

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 07:06 PM ----------

A quality SSD will last god only knows how long, I wouldn't choose OCZ because of the amount of problems I've heard with some of their drives, I'd either take Intel or maybe Corsair.
    It's called QuickSync I think... makes you use each GPU based how much it requires, for example watching a Video on Youtube would use the i-GPU, but a game like Crysis would be shifted to the d-GPU.

And it's been advertised that the memory blocks on the SSD have a limited life by design.

See: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/3681...sd-performance

Wear levelling is required because the flash memory cells used by SSDs don’t last forever. You can read their contents as many times as you like without worrying, but each cell can have its contents changed on only a finite number of occasions before it wears out – typically, around 100,000 times

100,000 writes really isn't that much over the life of a drive in use. Your OS will perform that on its own idleing. (I forget the exact time scale, I bet you it's alot less than a 4 year period.)

And it's been advertised that the memory blocks on the SSD have a limited life by design.

See: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/3681...sd-performance

100,000 writes really isn't that much over the life of a drive in use. Your OS will perform that on its own idleing. (I forget the exact time scale, I bet you it's alot less than a 4 year period.)
    A lot less then 4 years? Spreading FUD, that's worse then spreading spam, you should get banned.

Oh, and you're saying that SSDs are so unreliable that it makes HDDs look... IMMORTAL. Oh sorry, I saw plenty of HDDs fail during 4 years, so fuck off idiot with your "SSDs aren't reliable" bullshit (atleast with Intel SSDs...).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviltry View Post
    A lot less then 4 years? Spreading FUD, that's worse then spreading spam, you should get banned.

Oh, and you're saying that SSDs are so unreliable that it makes HDDs look... IMMORTAL. Oh sorry, I saw plenty of HDDs fail during 4 years, so fuck off idiot with your "SSDs aren't reliable" bullshit (atleast with Intel SSDs...).
    Stating they have a limited life by design, doesn't make then inherantly unreliable. I also at no point said an HDD is guarnteed to do better. I am simply pointing out the facts. If you need your drives to last, which frankly at that price I personally would expect them too, then an SSD isn't for you.
    I can however say with absolute cirtainty that an HDD isn't so limited. I have personally been using several HDD's for well over 6 years without fault.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-06-26 at 06:33 PM.

I seem to recall normal HDDs have the same limitation? Albeit significantly more read/writes, but.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Go read up on Z68 and come back. H6x's chipsets also have the same Lucid Virtu feature from Z68 that allows you to use the Intel HD in parallel with discrete so you don't lose Quick Sync. Solo though it runs Medium settings in most modern games and high in most older.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1886066

See Intel HD + Radeon HD 6970. My 6970 does all the 3D Rendering for games and my Intel HD handles all of my encoding.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu.html
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-06-26 at 06:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats with all the abuse? :S

Deleted
    Its around 3500 to 10,000 writes per cell (MLC) - depending on which process the SSD is made of. SLC is far better but like 15k RPM drives, is an enterprise thing.

Nevertheless, on a 80gb drive that theoretically translates to approximately 280 TERA bytes (for the 3500 rewrites). I've done about 2 terabytes a year per unit since i got mine. Needless to say, theres still a long way to go - with only one drive reporting 3 dead sectors.

15+ Year Old Account
    Brands like Corsair and OCZ buys their controllers from Sandforce. And the memory they put in their decices vary from series to series.

Intel and Samsung make their own controllers exclusivly for their SSDs. And they make the memory exclusivly for their SSDs.

Im not saying Intel/Samsung are better brands, but when you buy Intel/Samsung, you get Intel/Samsung.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Brands like Corsair and OCZ buys their controllers from Sandforce. And the memory they put in their decices vary from series to series.

Intel and Samsung make their own controllers exclusivly for their SSDs. And they make the memory exclusivly for their SSDs.

Im not saying Intel/Samsung are better brands, but when you buy Intel/Samsung, you get Intel/Samsung.
    Actually, on Intel's latest 510 series they used Marvel brand controllers for them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Actually, on Intel's latest 510 series they used Marvel brand controllers for them.
    I was not aware of this :P
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    some really useful info?
    £749.99 ex vat
    (£899.99 inc vat)

£482.89 ex vat
    (£579.47 inc vat)

£386.96 ex vat
    (£464.35 inc vat)

No Kidding?

thanks for all the responses and good luck with the discussion on ssd's i have the information that i need.