Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Laptop screen took a dive, need to buy replacement. Help?

My HP Pavilion dv6700 (dv6768se) screen decided to display pretty blue and white lines today. I talked to an HP representative and he walked me through some troubleshooting steps and since we were able to power up the BIOS still he says its a display issue and that I need to order a new display panel... which HP offered for 221 dollars and some change. He said I needed a.. "15.4 in TFT WXGA display panel". I looked it up on Amazon and they are selling for under 100 dollars. I was thinking about just buying a new laptop but if I can replace the display for under 100, I would do it. I just want to make sure that this is the correct display that I need...

http://www.amazon.com/LG-LP154WX4-TL.../ref=de_a_smtd

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that is the right LCD panel. I have four of them sitting in the back of my tech room. The pavilion dv series are notorious for having display issues stemming from the nVidia chip overheating and in turn lifting off of the board. Guaranteed way to make sure it is your LCD panel and not the display adapter is to plug it into an external monitor using the VGA out. If you have display on the external monitor but not the LCD panel then it is just a panel replacement, but if the distorted image is on the external monitor also then you know it is the internal display adapter.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Yeah that is the right LCD panel. I have four of them sitting in the back of my tech room. The pavilion dv series are notorious for having display issues stemming from the nVidia chip overheating and in turn lifting off of the board. Guaranteed way to make sure it is your LCD panel and not the display adapter is to plug it into an external monitor using the VGA out. If you have display on the external monitor but not the LCD panel then it is just a panel replacement, but if the distorted image is on the external monitor also then you know it is the internal display adapter.
    I tried this earlier but I didnt see a display on my external monitor. I'll have to try again today. Do I have to switch some settings in order for it to show up? We were still able to pull the BIOS up but after a couple minutes white and blue lines were beginning to appear. Does this seem like a LCD panel issue?

If it goes into the BIOS and displays normally, it's probably not the screen going bad... most likely the GPU and/or drivers are acting up.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Should be a combination of holding down a Function button so Fn+ (one of the F1 to F12 keys. Its different for every laptop.)

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    If it goes into the BIOS and displays normally, it's probably not the screen going bad... most likely the GPU and/or drivers are acting up.
    It went into the BIOS fine for about like 15 seconds, and then slowly the lines started appearing again.

---------- Post added 2011-06-30 at 10:42 PM ----------

I booted it up today to see if anything changed. It loaded perfectly.. I was able to log in and see my desktop background. I was able to do normal activities on my laptop for about 20 minutes and then the screen just went blank. It wasn't black like it was turned off, but just blank and I could see light coming through the screen.