1st time PC build - worried about compatability

Last edited by bamf775; 2011-06-29 at 05:19 PM.

you're all over the place in quality, but they should all work together. I think.

15+ Year Old Account
    Case, Hard Drive, Monitor (decent), and PSU (overkill) are all good.

DVD Burner, RAM, CPU, Heatsink, OS are good

Motherboard I can't say much about, I have kept away from Gigabyte since they were so late to adopt the UEFI (I think they adopted it...)

Video card isn't bad, but it's weak compared to the rest of the system. I'd recommend a 6950 or a 560 Ti instead if you can budget one of those in
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

You shouldn't experience any issues beside the gnawing on your mind. Why don't you just buy everything at the same time?

I'd highly recommend switching the motherboard for something a little more well known. I bought a Gigabyte motherboard for a PC at work, and it was fried on arrival. They sent me a replacement, and it would only start if I switched the PSU to 220v (which is not the standard in the US) so none of the other parts would work right.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I'd highly recommend switching the motherboard for something a little more well known. I bought a Gigabyte motherboard for a PC at work, and it was fried on arrival. They sent me a replacement, and it would only start if I switched the PSU to 220v (which is not the standard in the US) so none of the other parts would work right.
    That's just bad luck. :| I've had no issues with either of my Gigabyte-products. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    You shouldn't experience any issues beside the gnawing on your mind. Why don't you just buy everything at the same time?
    I have a wife who hates computers. =O

Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    But now she has time to hide all components before you get the last one :O

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Case, Hard Drive, Monitor (decent), and PSU (overkill) are all good.

DVD Burner, RAM, CPU, Heatsink, OS are good

Motherboard I can't say much about, I have kept away from Gigabyte since they were so late to adopt the UEFI (I think they adopted it...)

Video card isn't bad, but it's weak compared to the rest of the system. I'd recommend a 6950 or a 560 Ti instead if you can budget one of those in
    Well, the PSU i got for a screaming deal. Way less than what it is now and I might have crossfire setup in the future. The GPU I picked out is pretty pricy I thought, but I guess CPU and GPU are the most important performance wise.
    Last edited by bamf775; 2011-06-29 at 05:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    You may have just had a bad board. I actually switch from Asus to gigabyte because I had problems with 3 consecutive asus boards that i got. Never had a problem with gigabyt boards. For my latest build i switched to Intel chips again and purchased the MSI P67A-GD65 board. I love it. I hear people complain about the asus (B3) boards and i laugh to myself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-168-_-Product much better heatsink

I dont like the PSU , but u say that u already got it....so for a i5 2500k and a single 6870,sure no problem, but dont try to crossfire ahah and i wouldnt go above 4.5ghz Overclock on the CPU (because ur mobo is cheap) .I guess u want to OC since u picked a z68 mobo, a 2500K and a heatsink
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2011-06-29 at 06:11 PM.

You guys think I should stop buying parts at a time while Im not too far ahead and just save the rest until I have enough to get the rest all together. I still need mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, CPU fan/heatsink, OS... those are the most complex parts anyway right?

PSU, HD, Monitor, and case are pretty standard... shoul;dnt have any problems with those.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    Just do what I did. Bought it anyway and when she asked about it I told her I wanted a new computer.

End o discussion.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Just do what I did. Bought it anyway and when she asked about it I told her I wanted a new computer.

End o discussion.
    Just like with my parents: "Do you really feel the need to spend more than €1200 on a new computers?" Me: "mmm, yea."