Spec for dungeon leveling

For leveling a priest through dungeons what healing spec should i use, holy/disc?

Currently lvl 40 with decent gear, have good experience with the priest overall and cataclysm healing.
    So what is the optimal spec for leveling?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fryseboks View Post
    For leveling a priest through dungeons what healing spec should i use, holy/disc?

Currently lvl 40 with decent gear, have good experience with the priest overall and cataclysm healing.
    So what is the optimal spec for leveling?

Thanks
    Good morning

I am fairly new to priests myself but judging from everything I have been reading ~ they are equally good for PvE, it really comes down to game play preference. I am currently healing in Holy at level 28 & it's pretty much less bubble spam *mana intensive* and more Renew/Heal spam.

K, i usually dont like to rely on bubble due to the fact that it has a 15sec cd really.

Thanks for the help

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't like to rely on bubble, there's only 1 option: Holy

I personally prefer Holy more on 85 aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    As said above, there is no optimal spec. Discipline might have a small advantage because it can do damage while healing and starts out with an extra healing spell, but that advantage isn't really that big, so you can still play what you like.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I think Disc has a significant advantage at low levels. Holy is very proc/cooldown based, it's a passive style of healing where you let your hots and distrubted heals tick away and slowly bring your party members back up, waiting for cooldowns and whatnot. At low levels however you don't have the cushion of over-inflated health pools like you do in Cata. People will take damage at a much faster rate compared to their overall health. Particularly when your dealing with rogues, mages, etc that are constantly pulling aggro off the tank, and then take big damage when they are attacked.

PW:S/Penance gives you a huge bulk heal with IMMEDIATE effects that will allow your party to survive through those bad pulls. And it's an "oh-shit" that is not a long cooldown.

Disc also has the side benefit of being able to smite heal. Lets face it. With heirlooms and significant nerfing to old dungeons, some of this content can be really boring to heal. Being able to get in there and DPS through the downtime is a great way to keep things fresh. (Plus it's funny when the group stops and goes "wait... why is the priest out damaging the mage???")

10+ Year Old Account
    I love smite healing in dungeons. If I were to level another priest (and in dungeons no less) I'd be a smite healing machine. Then again, it's personal preference =P

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Level 25 at the moment and I am rolling through as disc. I prefer the playstyle of bubble and smite spam. Gold is easy to come by so try out a holy build then a disc build and see which one you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fryseboks View Post
    Currently lvl 40 with decent gear...
    Pay 10g, duel spec, try both - neither is superior at that level in dungeons, its whichever playstyle you prefer. Holy might be slightly superior while questing, due to the HW: Chastise and the talented buffs to Holy Fire and Smite.

I leveled 10-85 mainly healing dungeons as Holy and using Shadow to solo when I felt like.

Again, try both. Use the one you are more comfortable with. As your level progresses, each tree will have access to more skills and abilities so your preferences may change.

I tried Disc a few times when I was leveling, and I think it's a great spec, but I kept going back to Holy. What I like about Holy is, especially when leveling, is that it can do everything. I specced into Renew and glyphed for it so I had a very powerful and reliable HoT on the tank when I wanted to. Your first talents boost your renew, reduce cast times on your main heals, and make your main heals more potent. When leveling, my main cheap/efficient spell, Heal, was very powerful along with Renew and it was easy to keep up a tank. Flash Heals, G Heals, and PW:Shield were used in emergencies. PoH was more powerful from the talents I just mentioned for moments of AoE damage (plus I added the glyph for the 20% over time). When I got Chakra and Circle of Healing, I remember laughing because I thought that if I was in a group, that group would be invulnerable. (I was dead wrong. Nothing can help a group of morons.)

I could go on and on, and this does not mean Disc doesn't have its own set of tools. I just felt and still feel as a Holy Priest that I could do everything and all my spells feel very powerful. Disc seems a little more specialized around shields and Penance which is really cool in its own way, but wasn't really my style.

Bottom line is, I was just rambling why Holy isn't a bad option to heal dungeons with. I think all 3 specs are awesome and enjoy playing your Priest
    Last edited by Mitchell Rane; 2011-07-05 at 05:45 PM.

If you dont like the play style of bubbling the group, try holy. Great throughput and utility makes it a very fun class to play.

There is absolutely no need to spam bubbles on the group in levelling dungeons, urdoinitwrong.

edit: Hell, that's not even how to play Disc @ 85.