Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

I'm new to priest healing...

Hello there,
    As the title suggests, I've just made my first priest. I've been playing as a healer for a while now, mainly as a Shaman and Druid.

I want to start healing in dungeons on the priest from level 15.

I was just wondering which spec on the priest is best for this.

Thanks in advanced. ^^

Deleted
    Disc for the win. Atleast for low level dungeons. Just shield the tank and spam it.

Deleted
    I would go disc indeed, you can even do pretty much stuff solo as a disc. At 30 get holy as offspec just because it's way more AWESOME

15+ Year Old Account
    What jaybls said - go disc, pick up atonement, and add some damage in to the runs.

Once you are between 80 and 85, and at max level, I actually find holy much easier than disc.

Deleted
    Thanks for the advice. ^^ Go disc and get a holy off-spec, shall do. ^^

I did disc/shadow but just because I also quested. if you're doing straight dungeon grinding to 85 (or at least to 80, at 81 you get mind spike which is SWEET for questing, 2 MS's and a MB as shadow and stuff dies, if not another MS is all that's needed, it's like as fast as kitty druid lvling), then go for disc/holy. PW:S will keep tanks up almost 100% of the time (and renew will take care of any other damage, or glyphed PW:S) up until about level 70 when you'll get stupid tanks (dk's in leather, druids in cloth, etc) and need to use your heals better. but it doesn't get truly fun/challenging till 80 when in cata dungeons ppl take a good bit of damage (not tank so much but stupid dps do). so switch on and off from disc/holy I'd say, up until 80 and then just use the spec you want to use at 85 (I did disc all the way, holy's nice and all and really powerful but I just loved disc a lot more, just my preference). of course as holy your throughput will feel better so that's why a lot of ppl choose it for lvling during those lvls I believe. but getting that practice in will help for when you start heroics (as holy not so much because you have other healers you use but disc is a lot different than the other healing specs I find).

avoid atonement! arcane mages are that way if you want 2 button spam!

that said i prefer disc too. bubbles are awesome. you said you're already a healer so i'm presuming your bars infom you when someone has agro. judge it. if it's a dps in looms blasting down a mob who will die before the dps takes any damage just ignore it. if mr rogue decides it's time to tank a mob throw a bubble on him.

macro inner focus to your heals to save mana (if you're doing it right you'll rarely need to cast anything other than bubble or pennance outside of the 45 second cooldown at low levels)

here's an example macro that i use for flash, works for g.heal, binding and prayer of healing too

#showtooltip Inner Focus
    /cast Inner Focus
    /cast [@mouseover,exists,nodead,help][] Flash Heal
    somebody call for d doctor?

disc for leveling is amazing, just pop a shield on the tank and spam smite

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo333 View Post
    avoid atonement! arcane mages are that way if you want 2 button spam!
    Uhh what? Atonement is amazing for leveling and basically cuts it for questing until you hit wotlk or cata content. Not to mention that it's a nice chunk of extra damage to speed up up dungeon runs. When atonement gets a little too slow, as mentioned before, just a few mind spikes and a mind blast are more than enough to down mobs. Got nothing against holy, it's my preferred spec at 85, but you just can't match atonement's utility while leveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    We removed the Fun Stuff forum, all the Fun in the MMO-Champion forums will now be taking place in my pants.

Xenophics <Famous> - Scarlet Crusade (US)

so say a dude spends his first say 70 levels holy fire smite spamming. then when the damage starts coming in for real, does he rely on the 'smart' heal from attonement or does he blow most his mana in a panic because he never learned the difference between the actual heals in his spellbook?

i'll agree that attonement is awesome for questing and soloing stuff (hi anzu!) but beyond that it's very dull to play and it breeds bad habits at the cost of not teaching anything good
    somebody call for d doctor?

disc is pretty good before cata dungeons. Shield holds a fair bit, keep renew rolling all times and watch tv !

sorry to ninja this thread but the title was apt for my question as well..

Been reading the stickies but nowhere can I find wether to use Inner Fire or Inner Will? Can someone clarify that as well? Thanks!

Disc is crap. Disc priests are priests who wanted to heal, but couldnt figure out what all the buttons did.... Holy ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by palthis View Post
    sorry to ninja this thread but the title was apt for my question as well..

Been reading the stickies but nowhere can I find wether to use Inner Fire or Inner Will? Can someone clarify that as well? Thanks!
    Usually you use inner fire. The spellpower is just too much to easily throw away. But, in certain situations, you need to move FAST, so go for inner will. Also, during movement you will heavily rely on instant cast spells, and their manacost is reduced using inner will.

But, in all honesty, if you're raiding... geht lavawalker on your boots. You won't need inner will. Especially not as holy specced into body and soul.
    Remember: if you reach your point of destination two seconds earlier, you're starting to cast two seconds earlier. If you compare the 50 haste on boots versus the 8% runspeed... as long as you won't move at all, runspeed outperforms 50 haste. In terms of throughput.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephthes View Post
    Disc is crap. Disc priests are priests who wanted to heal, but couldn't figure out what all the buttons did.... Holy ftw.
    I love Holy more than anything, but this is just uncalled for. Discipline priests are just as viable as any other healing spec.

OP: I know everyone's telling you to go Discipline, but give Holy a try sometimes. It's a completely different playstyle that might suit you more.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Disc, Spam PWS and Penace all the way to ~80

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I love Holy more than anything, but this is just uncalled for. Discipline priests are just as viable as any other healing spec.

OP: I know everyone's telling you to go Discipline, but give Holy a try sometimes. It's a completely different playstyle that might suit you more.
    It was a jest. My opinion on it is my opnion. I dont think that Disc priests cant figure out all the holy buttons, that was the joke part.... however, I really think its a cop out spec. Its takes very little talent to play and even less brain cells. Ive tired it, and I hated it, and therefor have strong opinions on it. Sorry if I offended, but its my thoughts!

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a jest. My opinion on it is my opinion. I don't think that Disc priests can't figure out all the holy buttons, that was the joke part... However, I really think its a cop out spec. It takes very little talent to play and even less brain cells. I've tried it, and I hated it, and therefor have strong opinions on it. Sorry if I offended, but its my thoughts!
    The thing is that a lot of 'which spec should I play" comes down to one type bashing the other. I don't like Discipline all that much myself, but saying that it takes less skill to play is pretty unprovable and likely untrue.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but what you say (and how you say it) is just bashing Discipline, and there's no need for that. If you'd have said something like: "I don't like discipline, personally. In my opnion it is less challenging to play," I would've made no comment.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    The thing is that a lot of 'which spec should I play" comes down to one type bashing the other. I don't like Discipline all that much myself, but saying that it takes less skill to play is pretty unprovable and likely untrue.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but what you say (and how you say it) is just bashing Discipline, and there's no need for that. If you'd have said something like: "I don't like discipline, personally. In my opnion it is less challenging to play," I would've made no comment.
    Mmm so my wording didnt jive with your sensitivity. Gotcha. Still, I really dont think it takes much talent to shield and pennance someone. We can agree to disagree. Maybe alot more has gone into it since Wrath outside of the smite spam, maybe it hasnt, but either way I dont think its the spec to go for raiding nor leveling. If you know alot of the "which spec should I play" entales alot of bashing of one or the other spec, then my thoughts, and my voicing those thoughts shouldnt catch you too far off.

To the OP however, I hope you realize that my post was a joke and hope that you find healing on a priest both enjoyable and challanging! They are a great class to play that many wont even bother attempting to play because of the challanges that leveling a priest has!

Deleted
    Mmm so my wording didnt jive with your sensitivity. Gotcha. Still, I really dont think it takes much talent to shield and pennance someone.
    About as hard as it is to roll renews and spam coh, which is what Holy does, right? You're hardly arguing from a position of strength on the easy mode stakes...
    Holy: I press the circle of derp button and it auto-heals everyone!
    Disc: I actually have to look at heal bars and use my brain!