Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Would like some feed back about E.V.E online

Now i,m preying this doesnt get lambasted into a fanbois flame war etc as i,d really like some feedback before i bought the game.

I,m looking for a decent sci fi mmo ish type game and E.V.E has struck up my interest a few times was looknig at buying it off steam and giving it a show ...now my question is i,ve heard massive amounts about elitists going mad at new players etc ..

I dont intend to be doing any of the endgame stuff mining etc getting on my feet just something to do different than W.O.W now before you say it i tried rift ...its another fantasy mmo and just didnt appeal to me E.V.E seems to be a tweakers paradise aka you can get certain things etc customise your ship to your style and that .

So i,m asking if anyone has played E.V.E online and how did their game end aka was it horrible things to look out for and generally any advice or feedback i can get before buying it .

So be nice and also if you know similier styles of futuristic mmos i,m open to checknig them out too .
    Faith Manages

I tried a 14 day trial of it and it blew my mind. I honestly couldn't decide what direction to start aiming at... so I went around a secure section of space mining veldspar and stealing from people's jet cans (which honestly held WAY more material than I could actually carry on my largest ship).

I liked the training system where you queue up skills to learn and it learns them in real time. Sit back and let your pilot learn while you do whatever you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    cheers aye the talent thing does look ncie tbh i tried battle star galactica mmo and wasnt happy i lost any of the xp i put into training as it forced you to buy their booster packs etc.

I do like the personnal freedom the game seems to display not as linear as most others.
    Faith Manages

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried it, It was fun and interesting (Although the company is in my country, iceland) I really must say, we can do GOOD games, although ... the fucking Tutorial is so FUCKING long

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Tbh i've liked the idea of EVE but the implementation sucks, i've tried it twice on the 14 day trial and it just didn't play well(control) and from what i've heard there is some serious problems with the game since incarna started from the game making your pc overheat to the debacle with the micro transactions, and the resulting bans and mass quitting.,..dont know how it fares now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lezarin View Post
    Now i,m preying this doesnt get lambasted into a fanbois flame war etc as i,d really like some feedback before i bought the game.

I,m looking for a decent sci fi mmo ish type game and E.V.E has struck up my interest a few times was looknig at buying it off steam and giving it a show ...now my question is i,ve heard massive amounts about elitists going mad at new players etc ..

I dont intend to be doing any of the endgame stuff mining etc getting on my feet just something to do different than W.O.W now before you say it i tried rift ...its another fantasy mmo and just didnt appeal to me E.V.E seems to be a tweakers paradise aka you can get certain things etc customise your ship to your style and that .

So i,m asking if anyone has played E.V.E online and how did their game end aka was it horrible things to look out for and generally any advice or feedback i can get before buying it .

So be nice and also if you know similier styles of futuristic mmos i,m open to checknig them out too .
    I tried eve. While the game has its merits, it has a pretty steep learning curve, overwhelming to me coming from WoW and WoW-like games.

I'm not saying that having a learning curve is a bad thing, but saying that it took a fair amount of time to figure out how some mechanics worked and I preferred spending that time in WoW leading my guild and our raids.

The game is beautiful to look at, has interesting mechanics and I imagine would be a lot of fun if you had a group of friends to play with. All in all, I think if I weren't a guild/raid leader, I'd be playing eve here and there, but not seriously.

HTH

I will just leave this here

I've played EVE off and on a few times, and it's really not that bad of a game. However, there's one simple thing that I just can't seem to get over. No matter what you do, no matter how much time and effort you manage to put into the game, you will never ever ever be able to catch up to people whole have played longer then you in the skills department.
    I know, people say it don't really matter in the long run. You just need to devote yourself to going after just what your NEED and you'll be fine eventually. But the thought of always being years behind the longtime players and not having any way to ever catch up no matter how hardcore you go at it just is a major downside.

Now, you said you don't really have any intention to get involved in endgame, so that might not be an issue for yo uat all. In that case, it's worth giving the game a try. It really is very solo friendly, if that's your thing. You can also make a couple friends and do things as a small group, or join a large corp and be part of a huge group of players.
    You can concentrate on being a good guy in PvE and run missions, mine, hunt pirates, etc. Or you can hunt down and destroy other players if PvP is you thing, and steal their hard earned cargo for your own profit.

One thing I would suggest is just going to their site and grabbing a free trial. You'll get like a week or two to screw around and see if you like the basic gameplay, and they almost always have a trial offer going you should be able to find. That way, yu don't have to worry about buying a game you end up not liking and having it be a waste of cash.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    I tried it, It was fun and interesting (Although the company is in my country, iceland) I really must say, we can do GOOD games, although ... the fucking Tutorial is so FUCKING long
    With the amount thing needed to be known, i think its normal

I planned to try EVE slightly before the release of Dust, but since it became a PS3 exclusivity, i will probably never play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheers for the info alls it does appeal to me and i think the learning curve might be refreshing tbh.
    Faith Manages

Quote Originally Posted by Cleavedge View Post
    I've played EVE off and on a few times, and it's really not that bad of a game. However, there's one simple thing that I just can't seem to get over. No matter what you do, no matter how much time and effort you manage to put into the game, you will never ever ever be able to catch up to people whole have played longer then you in the skills department.
    I know, people say it don't really matter in the long run. You just need to devote yourself to going after just what your NEED and you'll be fine eventually. But the thought of always being years behind the longtime players and not having any way to ever catch up no matter how hardcore you go at it just is a major downside.

Now, you said you don't really have any intention to get involved in endgame, so that might not be an issue for yo uat all. In that case, it's worth giving the game a try. It really is very solo friendly, if that's your thing. You can also make a couple friends and do things as a small group, or join a large corp and be part of a huge group of players.
    You can concentrate on being a good guy in PvE and run missions, mine, hunt pirates, etc. Or you can hunt down and destroy other players if PvP is you thing, and steal their hard earned cargo for your own profit.

One thing I would suggest is just going to their site and grabbing a free trial. You'll get like a week or two to screw around and see if you like the basic gameplay, and they almost always have a trial offer going you should be able to find. That way, yu don't have to worry about buying a game you end up not liking and having it be a waste of cash.
    You are right if you expect to be able to fly something like capital ships in short time. These things require a huge bunch of skills. Becoming a good Interceptor (tech2 ship) pilot for example doesn't take long (4 month, tech1 ship would be a lot faster). Training up to battlecruisers (3,5 months) can be done quite fast too, so you can catch up. I would say with 3-4 months of training time you can fly something that is useful to a fleet with a skill level that is good enough. With years of training you can fly ships of several races with different weapon systems, but you don't need that to become a valuable player.
    Last edited by Delryn; 2011-07-14 at 10:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well the idea was a friend put me on youtube and showed me the exhumer carebear vidz ...i was hooked then but i work long hours but have net connection cant really raid etc during the day so ....my plan was to get myself into a ncie heavily armed mining class vessel and jsut plod about mining and trading eventually i,d probably go full into it but at mo i,m in a ncie endgame raiding guild on wow but very little ingame activity otuside raids ......sooo this might interst me tbf.
    Faith Manages

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammy-Valk View Post
    *Picture*
    I'd like to note, this is a changed version. Originally the black bar was EVE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleavedge View Post
    That way, yu don't have to worry about buying a game you end up not liking and having it be a waste of cash.
    The game is free. Subscription is not.

And actually the original pic is this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammy-Valk View Post
    Last edited by Vargur; 2011-07-14 at 10:45 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    I'd like to note, this is a changed version. Originally the black bar was EVE.
    And it's kind of stupid that you need a higher skilllvl for WoW than for the other two.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post
    And it's kind of stupid that you need a higher skilllvl for WoW than for the other two.
    The way the graph shows, it starts of harder than the others(This was an old graph, so before it was toned down) and then becomes the easiest. Not by a lot on either side, but it's there.

The first 20 levels of WoW used to be quite brutal for a new player.

Deleted
    EVE is like Marriage.

Either you fully commit or all you get it's misery.

If you want a more accessible Space MMO, try Dark Prophecy.

10+ Year Old Account
    well went and bought it and downloaded it last night ....note to self time does fly when your playing a new game and going to bed at 5 am is a bad thing at my age lol.

giving it a try at mo made me pilot worknig on the really really boring intro missions lol.still it looks very very purdy.
    Faith Manages

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    EVE is like Marriage.

Either you fully commit or all you get it's misery.

If you want a more accessible Space MMO, try Dark Prophecy.
    How committed does one have to be? >_<

I'm in LOVE with the lore, the forums (Monoclegate!), the drama (goons vs. BoB), Hilmar-is-evil!!!, The Door was there! etc... I got the 14 day trial (just expired) and adored every moment of it, although admittedly, I played like the hugest noob. I took ages to do the simplest of things, I spent my time panning the camera, taking in the beauties of my system, clicking on Info for everything and reading the lil' tidbits :P

Anyway, I don't mean to ramble but I've been lurking the EvE forums for the past 3 weeks (can't post) and I see things that I love and things that scare me. A few questions for you (or anyone else) if you don't mind:

1. How mandatory is a second (third, fourth or fifth) account?

I saw people say they have 8 O_O While I am not impoverished, I am a student and while I could have two separate subs, I'd rather be subbed to two MMOs, one sandbox one like EvE, and one twitch-based one like WoW or Rift.

2. Can it be played reasonably successfully casually? And I mean ~10 hours/ week?

I have no delusions... I am not expecting to own a Titan by the end of this month, 6 months, or even the next two years! That being said, from all the archived posts I read across many forums, it seems to be that EvE is the truest sandbox. So while it's nice to have a sweet ship, and there is prestige to being wealthy and in a powerful corp, it strikes me that all that doesn't matter because people can progress at their own pace, which is the beauty of EvE. There is no raid to get into in the conventional sense.
    3. Is it worth getting into as a new player? Please be honest without enticing me to join only to camp me in null-sec or whatever :P
    Again, I am reading that, yes, it is. Although I have to step back and think... the game is 8+ years old (though phenomenal still). I don't mind being an ant or a peon in a mega corp. I'm happy to fetch someone's coffee As long as I am useful in a thriving community (that EvE still seems to have) with a bit of RP here, a bit of PvP there, and PvE, I think I could really *love* it. That said, I have read that most corps are petrified of spies and as such, it's hard for newbies to get in to the swing of things. Is this true? And if it is, what is the best way to overcome this?

4. How do the factions work?

Can factions kill members within their own race? Are there alliances between the factions that prevent hostile actions? For instance, can a Gallente kill a Minmatar? Are Caldari and Gallente perma flagged to each other? Or is everyone flagged to everyone?

5. How expensive in terms of real-life can this game get?

I've heard PLEX is a big factor in EvE. From what I can tell, while it won't make or break the game, it is helpful. Is my observation somewhat correct? Will I have to buy a boatload of PLEX?

6. Is this a good time to get into EvE?
    Ignorance is bliss: I don't know any better so EvE rocks to me. But there are doomsayers plaguing EvE's forums denouncing Incarna as the coming of the anti-Christ. Should I wait till Xmas (when CCP releases the next patch)?

Thanks, and sorry for the noob questions. I'll probably have more questions! >_<

Over and out
    Elementium on Knaak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.
    ~The naaru have not forgotten us... BUT CHRIST METZEN HAS!~

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i just got stuck wooot it wants me to go get a pilot certification document at the station office....but i cant get outta me soddin room lol the preassure isnt worknig for capsullers yet at the acadamy .might be something to do with maintances etc but apparently the certs meant to be in my items yet it aint there lol i,m confussed.

On another note my friends who play are in a nice mature corp but he was saying that my average 10 to 15 hours a week would mean i can plod about do missions etc mine collect ores etc make myself some mulla.Now the main thing is he was saying you can stay in the high security areas and jsut do what you want ...but once you go into the lower security areas you run the risk of pirates and other corps etc .

But from what iv,e seen it looks very nice and could tide me over for a bit maybe get me hooked and off wow but doubt that as i got too many friends in wow lol.
    Faith Manages