Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Bulldozer CPU details

Domaininhaber.com published some of the specs of AMDs upcoming Bulldozer CPUs

Early Benchmarks put the FX-8150 slightly ahead of the i7-2600, depending on the Benchmark. I'm curious if the 8 cores will pay off in any way or if they're just as wasted as Hyperthreading. Honestly I can't see much current use for anything beyond a Quad-Core CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Early Benchmarks put the FX-8150 slightly ahead of the i7-2600, depending on the Benchmark. I'm curious if the 8 cores will pay off in any way or if they're just as wasted as Hyperthreading. Honestly I can't see much current use for anything beyond a Quad-Core CPU.
    I don't see this as a fully functional 8 core CPU. It's a cleverly designed quad core. Selling it as an 8 core is a marketing trick, but it's a bit risky and puts them in a disadvantage, since the 6 core Sandy will beat the 8 core Bulldozer and the people will see that.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-07-14 at 01:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Domaininhaber.com published some of the specs of AMDs upcoming Bulldozer CPUs

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/images/st...zi_dh_fx57.jpg

For general gaming purposes no perhaps not yet. But in video editing and CAD and the like, the more cores the merrier, still.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=haxartus;12249814]I don't see this as a fully functional 8 core CPU. It's a cleverly designed quad core. Selling it as an 8 core is a marketing trick, but it's a bit risky and puts them in a disadvantage, since the 6 core Sandy will beat the 8 core Bulldozer and the people will see that.[/QUOTE

afaik, it has 4 modules and each module have 2 cores, or something like that.

Anway, that 6 core might beat the 8 core, but the intel platform will most likely cost 2x as much as the amd platform. And it is prob not even that much better, price/performance wise.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Um, bringing up the 6 core Sandies that come out later this year.... is kind of pointless. They were originally meant to be competition to the higher end versions of Bulldozer, as these current Bulldozers coming out - while late, are competition for the Sandybridges that came out earlier in 2011. You're bringing up Sandybridge-E that comes out later this year, an Enthusiast CPU that will probably blow the shit out of these Bulldozers, think: X58 2.0.

What's the chipset #? X79 or something?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    The Sandbridge-E is re-schedueled for Q1 2012. It will run on a X79 chipset LGA 2011.

And the Ivebridge is schedueled for Q1 2012. It will ron on a LGA1155 chipset. But im unsure if it will run on curent Mobos.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    And the Ivebridge is schedueled for Q1 2012. It will ron on a LGA1155 chipset. But im unsure if it will run on curent Mobos.
    It should run on any h/p67 mobo. At least that's what we've heard so far.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD needs to pick up the pace or Intel is going to have no reason not to send their prices through the roof. =/
    "A flower.

My only hope for the bulldozer is that it scales with the amount of cooling you use on it. Sandybridge was pretty boring from a cooling perspective, once you hit your chips "wall" you ain't pushing it further.
    Hoping Bulldozer's going to be an easy 5+ghz on water.

Deleted
    Worthy of note, this is unconfirmed information... And still unconfirmed. Rumors actually, stating it's gonna be delayed aswell.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    AMD needs to pick up the pace or Intel is going to have no reason not to send their prices through the roof. =/
    You think they have a reason to now? Guarantee you if they bumped the 2500K up to even the price of the 2600K, AMD would get more business.

Gaming is only a tiny portion of the PC market.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say having the previous i7's being 1k+ and releasing sandy bridge's at the 200-300 price range showed that they know what happened when they did that previously.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope they keep it that way!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope they keep it that way!
    Companies will always try to make money somewhere and somehow. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sandy E's and Ivy's going for 3-500 at release tbh.

Deleted
    SB-E will most likely by atleast 300+ for the cheapest one. And the most expensive ticking at around 1000+ (euro's that is, dollars will prob a bit more then)

Not to sure about ivy bridge tho, think that will be about the same as SB, seeing as its pointed at the mainstream market

http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-mi...ear/12991.html
    So, Intel is afraid of the Bulldozer after all. There is no reason to push SB-E early otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-mi...ear/12991.html
    So, Intel is afraid of the Bulldozer after all. There is no reason to push SB-E early otherwise.
    hmm, so pushing to meet their original release date means they are scared? of AMD? ........lolololol

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    hmm, so pushing to meet their original release date means they are scared? of AMD? ........lolololol
    Well if they're actually considering axing features to meet a date that they originally abandoned...

10+ Year Old Account
    They've held most of the computer parts market for the better portion of the past half year or more, perhaps. Yes the axing features is questionable, not so sure it has to do with being "afraid of AMD" however...
    "A flower.

Removing features to meet a release date is not behavior of a leading company that is not afraid of it's competition. What exactly will happen if they release it several months later with all of the features and most of the problems fixed ?