Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ryolith P2 10man

Hey guys, so we're 2/7 (Shannox and Beth'tilac) and have been working on Ryolith as our next guy and have hit a road block. For the most part, we have P1 down, but as soon as we get to P2, the concussive stomp kills us -- at minimum, the first one kills half the raid, leaving us with no chance to recover. We've tried seemingly everything to stay alive: stacking up, popping all mitigation CDs, DPS Shammies dropping Healing Rain to help out, Divine Guardian, etc. None of it is doing enough it seems.

Most of what I've read simply suggests that "healers need to learn to play," but that's not exactly helpful. Has anyone else experienced similar issues with the phase transition? Could it be the length of time it takes to get to P2 or is that only an issue on heroic? Should we be doing more to prep for P2 before it actually begins -- i.e. get grouped up well in advance?

As a note, we've tried out P1 with both two and three DPS on the legs, but seem to have settled on a 3 DPS-on-legs approach. We could, theoretically, go back down to two DPS on the legs and add a fourth healer to the raid if anyone has had success with that.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Graven2; 2011-07-18 at 01:41 PM.

My guild just got our first Rhyolith kill on our first night of attempts on him. Don't add a fourth healer, pop a raid cooldown right before phase transition to get people topped off. You can also pop lust early as that phase only lasts about 20 seconds even with bad dps on him. Make sure you're healers pop mana cds early and pop everything they have to get people topped off before and during phase transition. We had a harder time with RNG volcanoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Grease View Post
    My guild just got our first Rhyolith kill on our first night of attempts on him. Don't add a fourth healer, pop a raid cooldown right before phase transition to get people topped off. You can also pop lust early as that phase only lasts about 20 seconds even with bad dps on him. Make sure you're healers pop mana cds early and pop everything they have to get people topped off before and during phase transition. We had a harder time with RNG volcanoes.
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that the phase was so short and was planning to save BL for a little -- good to know we can use it right off the bat because that will definitely help healers. Hopefully with BL, Tranquility and Divine Guardian we can make it work.

How long did your phaze 1 last in general?
    at the moment we're having problems on p1 with 4 DPS on the legs and 2 on the adds (adds are dying before the small ones can charge) the 1st phaze seems to take forever, around about 6-7 mins in and were hitting the 35% mark xD

15+ Year Old Account
    Everyone needs to be topped up and stacking in tight BEFORE he hits P2 - when his armor shatters is not the time to start thinking about grouping up and throwing down your AoE heals. P2 is shockingly quick, and healers should forgo all manner of conservation and chain-spam their AoE heals right as he's about to change. If everyone's at full HP and the healers are powering their AoE by the time he shatters, it's pretty much a guaranteed win.

Also, have your DPS pop their own defensive cooldowns for the Stomps. Shamanistic Rage, IBlock, Dispersion, Deterrence, IBF - all these help immensely.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Everyone needs to be topped up and stacking in tight BEFORE he hits P2 - when his armor shatters is not the time to start thinking about grouping up and throwing down your AoE heals. P2 is shockingly quick, and healers should forgo all manner of conservation and chain-spam their AoE heals right as he's about to change. If everyone's at full HP and the healers are powering their AoE by the time he shatters, it's pretty much a guaranteed win.

Also, have your DPS pop their own defensive cooldowns for the Stomps. Shamanistic Rage, IBlock, Dispersion, Deterrence, IBF - all these help immensely.
    Yeah, we ran out of time in the raid, but we left off planning to try to group-up earlier. We'll just have all range stacked up by the Time Ryolith hits 30% and see how it goes. Thanks.

---------- Post added 2011-07-18 at 10:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chunkycarl View Post
    at the moment we're having problems on p1 with 4 DPS on the legs and 2 on the adds (adds are dying before the small ones can charge) the 1st phaze seems to take forever, around about 6-7 mins in and were hitting the 35% mark xD
    I unfortunately wasn't running logs yesterday, so it'd be a complete guess as to how long P1 lasts. Off the top of my head, if you have four DPS on the legs, seven minutes seems long. It might be that the armor is taking too long to drop off and the people steering need to hit more Volcanoes.

Deleted
    you should use bloodlust around 50% when the boss is under 20 stacks of damage reduction, by that time the 4th spark will spawn which you ignore and the 4th set of add???? not sure off that but you ignore thos aswell.
    and then just nuke the boss to 25% with every dps on 1 leg so he keeps running in a circle that should give you plenty of time to heal up the raid and pop a cooldown for the first stomp

Group up and pop hero at like 40%. Shortens the fight considerably and now volcano stacks fall off and everything disappears when you hit P2.

Phase 2 should be VERY quick.
    Have people pop defensive CDs for stomp and you should win.

If you are dying during phase 2 i think you may have too many Debuff stacks from the Volcanoes in Phase 1

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nwgminion View Post
    Phase 2 should be VERY quick.
    Have people pop defensive CDs for stomp and you should win.

If you are dying during phase 2 i think you may have too many Debuff stacks from the Volcanoes in Phase 1
    Eruption stacks are cleared when Phase 2 starts after the latest hotfix.

@Graven2: Phase 2 lasts around 30-40 seconds max. You should Bloodlust before it even starts (around 40% is good). Just stack up and burn -everything- and the boss should die.

Also, I would definitely look through your healing lineup carefully as there may be some issues there (On one of our wipes we 2-healed it for around 40-50 seconds and had very little issues. The damage is actually not very high.).

Quote Originally Posted by chunkycarl View Post
    Phase 1 should last around 5 minutes. I would only recommend a max of 3 DPS on the legs. As soon as you've hit your 8th active volcano and all the stacks are off, ALL DPS should prioritize the legs, but still kill Fragments (cause they'll 1-shot people after 30 seconds). Your spark tank should use cooldowns to stay alive. When he hits 40%, Bloodlust and ignore all adds, even Fragments.

All adds and volcanos and debuffs will be removed at 25%.
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-07-18 at 03:03 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Yeah, we're definetely wasting more time on adds than we should. There are times when the leg-team gets lucky with volcano placement and has all his armor off with the boss at 60% health and we continue on as usual. From now on, we'll have DPS completely ignore Sparks after that point and lust shortly after.

15+ Year Old Account
    My 10man consists of a ret pally, rogue, and 1 mage who switches to the legs if we need to turn him very quickly. The lava waves are the big killer, make sure people arent standing near volcanos. It looks like they nerfed the volcano stacks recently too, Im not sure exactly how but some folks were talking about it in the raid this week and hte fight was much much easier.

We pop lust as soon as all of his armor is off and all dps switches and burns him to 25% asap. From there the fight is pretty much over. Like I said above, the lava waves that spawn out of the volcanos can really tear people up, make sure they arent standing near them cause if youre on one you can get hit by multiple lines at once.
    Was hit with a nerf bat!

Quote Originally Posted by Chloride View Post
    My 10man consists of a ret pally, rogue, and 1 mage who switches to the legs if we need to turn him very quickly. The lava waves are the big killer, make sure people arent standing near volcanos. It looks like they nerfed the volcano stacks recently too, Im not sure exactly how but some folks were talking about it in the raid this week and hte fight was much much easier.

We pop lust as soon as all of his armor is off and all dps switches and burns him to 25% asap. From there the fight is pretty much over. Like I said above, the lava waves that spawn out of the volcanos can really tear people up, make sure they arent standing near them cause if youre on one you can get hit by multiple lines at once.
    Yeah, we've had plenty of time working out the kinks concerning the volcanoes, haha. Our issue was mishandling the second half of the fight, so it's good to see that moving past this guy shouldn't be too much of an issue next time we're in there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also, are you using one tank or two? If you have a hunter or a DK tank, use only one tank - the adds ALWAYS spawn as Frags - Spark then Frags - Frags - Spark. When the Spark is being killed, have a hunter prepare to MD the next set of Fragments or a DK tank ready to place a DnD to aggro them all from range, and if the Spark's still alive when the Fragments spawn then they can also be tanked outside of the raid alongside the Spark, and dragged back in once the Spark dies.

Not only does solo-tanking make room for more DPS on adds, it also makes P2 go a lot faster.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

One other thing to consider is that volcano's will still spawn those lava streams so make sure your stacked raid isn't eating one of those in p2

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Also, are you using one tank or two? If you have a hunter or a DK tank, use only one tank - the adds ALWAYS spawn as Frags - Spark then Frags - Frags - Spark. When the Spark is being killed, have a hunter prepare to MD the next set of Fragments or a DK tank ready to place a DnD to aggro them all from range, and if the Spark's still alive when the Fragments spawn then they can also be tanked outside of the raid alongside the Spark, and dragged back in once the Spark dies.

Not only does solo-tanking make room for more DPS on adds, it also makes P2 go a lot faster.
    We've been one tanking it -- at one point we had a Frost DK doing it, but when we swapped him out, we didn't have any issues. Adds haven't been a problem at all.

Deleted
    We did the fight with 2 healers, 1 tank, 7 dps.
    Phase two really was a cakewalk the tries that we got there (tried the 3 healer approach, but wasnt working for us). So we did it with a holy paladin and a resto druid. We had 2-3 attempts in phase 2 before actually downing him on our 7th attempt of the night.
    We always popped bloodlust on the 4 minute mark after pull - always. When we got into phase 2, without people on low HP during transition it was easy, use Aura mastery on first stomp, and then tranquility on the second stomp - if all goes well there will not be a third stomp.

Peace

I can only imagine that your p1 is taking so long the boss has started on his soft enrage. You should try to get through it more quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by PHsname View Post
    I can only imagine that your p1 is taking so long the boss has started on his soft enrage. You should try to get through it more quickly.
    Yeah, that's the bottom-line that I've taken from this thread. We're going to stick three DPS on the legs full-time and pop BL before P2 starts.

What is the exact mechanic of the soft enrage? At first I was under the impression that it was only for heroic.

Even without a raid cooldown the first stomp didn't manage to kill our raid. Id suggest giving the healers a heads up on when P2 is about to roll around and encourage everyone to not get hit by a single thing to ensure they're topped off before p2. also it was not clear weather or not you were stacking for that phase so if you weren't you should be.

(edit) the amount of time it takes to flip, unnecessary damage people are taking , and healing comp is another thing you should look at.