Really dumb question about the PS4...

I have a PS4 since six months. I'm not exactly a big console gamer, so I tend to use it sparingly (an awful experience with X-360 make me wary of doing anything that could overtax the hardware, like, uh, playing more than a hour per week on it)

I did notice that the games were much uglier than advertised, but I took this at granted. It's when I picked Horizon Zero Dawn and saw it was a blurry mess that was making X360 games look good that I finally looked in settings...

Here is the dumb question : if for some reason the PS4 detected the 1080p tv as a 480p tv and displayed accordingly....I can't damage the TV/the console by switching to 1080p ?(the TV is 1080p, it's a given....https://www.cnet.com/products/insign...-led-tv/specs/)

Yes, I have been playing the console for six months in 480p. Yes it's stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    You won't be damaging it. The scalar handles that and pretty much were made for that exact purpose. Only way it's going to damage it is if it literally grew out arms and beat the living shit out of it.

Just to put it out there...the TV you're connected to actually has to be a 1080p TV for the console to play in 1080p. If you have a shit TV, your games are going to look like shit.

That said, if you have the right set-up changing the settings to perform at 1080p will not damage your hardware. The system was designed to function at those specs. As long as you don't play for marathon sessions in a heated humid room with zero ventilation, your PS4 will last a long time.

It's a 24 inch TV, but it's a 24 inch 1080 p TV (Naively, I sort of assumed that a TV is a TV...)

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Just to put it out there...the TV you're connected to actually has to be a 1080p TV for the console to play in 1080p. If you have a shit TV, your games are going to look like shit.

That said, if you have the right set-up changing the settings to perform at 1080p will not damage your hardware. The system was designed to function at those specs. As long as you don't play for marathon sessions in a heated humid room with zero ventilation, your PS4 will last a long time.
    The PS4 auto shuts down if it gets too hot anyways.

Comparing to the 360 is non sensical, never have we seen an issue like that before, and after the 360 revision never have we saw that issue again.