Thread: Radeon XFX 6770

Radeon XFX 6770

Recently bought one of these after running onboard graphics for like half a year after my Geforce 9800 GT decided to take a dump on me. Got home, seated that bad boy, etc etc and was honestly disappointed in it. I could only run on high graphics settings and it still lagged extremely bad in places where there were 20+ people. Is this how this card is supposed to run or am I missing something else in my gaming setup to make it run better? The only thing I could think of is that im running with a 400w power supply and the card says it needs 450w+, would that cause the lagging? I returned the card anyways because I bought it overpriced at Best Buy, but I was wondering if I should rebuy it and a power supply with more wattage or just buy a better card, I would like to run on Ultra with smooth gameplay even with alot of players/effects present. Should I expect to pay $400-$500 for that?

Deleted
    silly question but what cpu are you running?

Lagging will not be the card. Pony up for a new supply and verify your connection speed. What is your memory? (not card memory)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by L-J View Post
    Lagging will not be the card. Pony up for a new supply and verify your connection speed. What is your memory? (not card memory)
    all depends....if its fps lagg/spikes then it could be his psu or his cpu is bottlenecking his card.

Deleted
    1. Did you ever uninstall the old Nvidia Forceware (Geforce drivers) before installing the new card?

2. Did you install the most recent version of the Catalyst Control Center (Radeon drivers)

3. If you have a power hungry CPU and a cheap 400 Watt PSU, then yes, adding a dedicated GPU could cause issues (probably crashing or BSOD when under load).

4. You realize that the Radeon 6770 is a budget range GPU and thus was never going to offer you any breathtaking performance? In fact, if you paid any more than 120 USD for that card you got ripped off. 100 USD might be a fair price to pay for it. General rule of thumb for buying GPUs is that anything less than 150 dollars is not suitable for gaming (unless from a previous generation).

AMD Phenom 9600 quad-core @ 2.3GHz, my connection isn't the problem either i'm running at 150 mpbs

---------- Post added 2011-07-20 at 08:21 PM ----------

No to the 1 & 2 so that might have been an issue and yeah i'm glad I took that bastard back then, Best Buy charged me $190 for it. I don't want to buy anything too expensive though because it'll be outdated in probably a year or so. What do you guys suggest? 1x beefy card or run 2x mediocre cards?

Options -> Advanced -> Graphics API -> Directx 11

try that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    i have the msi gtx 460 super oc and its a wicked card. runs nice and cool and can handle wow easy.

also play crysis 2 on max settings without any problems.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypehype View Post
    i have the msi gtx 460 super oc and its a wicked card. runs nice and cool and can handle wow easy.

also play crysis 2 on max settings without any problems.
    yeah - the one i suggested is the one in my sig and my rig, which is why i can safely recommend it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunkosaurus View Post
    AMD Phenom 9600 quad-core @ 2.3GHz, my connection isn't the problem either i'm running at 150 mpbs

No to the 1 & 2 so that might have been an issue and yeah i'm glad I took that bastard back then, Best Buy charged me $190 for it. I don't want to buy anything too expensive though because it'll be outdated in probably a year or so. What do you guys suggest? 1x beefy card or run 2x mediocre cards?
    WHAT? They charged 190 dollars for that card. That's almost criminal. Even newegg sells them for 120.

For 200 dollars, your best choice is either a Radeon HD 6870 or a Geforce 560 (both slightly less than 200 USD) or a Radeon HD 6950 / Geforce 560 Ti for slightly more than 200 dollars. MSIs Twin Frozr models are very good, but cost a little extra.

But whatever you do, make sure to uninstall those old drivers you have sitting on your system. They'll just cause conflict with any new GPU you install.

PS: With those new GPUs coming, your PSU wont be cutting it any longer. You'll need to replace it.

WHAT? They charged 190 dollars for that card. That's almost criminal. Even newegg sells them for 120.

For 200 dollars, your best choice is either a Radeon HD 6870 or a Geforce 560 (both slightly less than 200 USD) or a Radeon HD 6950 / Geforce 560 Ti for slightly more than 200 dollars. MSIs Twin Frozr models are very good, but cost a little extra.

But whatever you do, make sure to uninstall those old drivers you have sitting on your system. They'll just cause conflict with any new GPU you install.

PS: With those new GPUs coming, your PSU wont be cutting it any longer. You'll need to replace it.
    That's what I said haha. I'll make sure to uninstall that stuff and I will be buying one of the ones you guys suggested, thanks to each one of you for the help!

Deleted

I suggest a new PC. Your CPU architecture is quite old. If you're running on high resolutions this would cause a strain on the CPU. WoW is CPU bound. You could upgrade to a powerful GFX card see an FPS increase while staring at the wall and yet still receive choppy gameplay while raiding 25 mans or when the server is busy.

If you're not willing to buy a new PC, then contend with the fact that you'll have to play on a lower resolution or turn your settings down, especially shadows.

AMD Phenom 9600 quad-core @ 2.3GHz,
    In addition to bad graphics card the old 4-digit Phenoms are really really weak for running WoW, especially in busy areas like cities and 25-man raids. Either ditch the whole PC and buy something from this decade or turn settings lower. There is no third option.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

This card should destroy the 9800GT, but your CPU bottlenecked it.

I'm actually looking to buy this card and currently my computer has 650w Power Supply and a AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-core 1.80 GHz Processor. I've been told the card should be fine, especially since I'm still using a XFX 4650. x_x But that was just one random person's opinion, hope I can get some more since I'm not exactly computer savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangriaa View Post
    I'm actually looking to buy this card and currently my computer has 650w Power Supply and a AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-core 1.80 GHz Processor. I've been told the card should be fine, especially since I'm still using a XFX 4650. x_x But that was just one random person's opinion, hope I can get some more since I'm not exactly computer savvy.
    See my reply two posts above yours. Phenom 9150 is really weak by today's standards, and no graphics card will run WoW fast in 25-man raids with it. Solo content and 5-mans will speed up notably from new graphics card, but raids won't gain much.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    For 200 dollars, your best choice is either a Radeon HD 6870
    I bought the HD 6870 hawk, ~2-4 weeks ago for around 150 euros. I am really satisfied with it and I confirm that this card is beast (regarding the priceclass)! Able to run almost every game at max graphics without lagg* (combined with the phenom II 965 BE/650 watt xfx power supply).

*30+ fps, even in extreme situations.
    Last edited by conceit2; 2011-07-21 at 10:59 PM.