RL friend needs a laptop

So it's me again. (Though I never left in the first place, but.)

I realized that a good friend of mine is literally not just going to attend the same college as me, but also the same course. After 3 years in high school his old laptop is showing its age however, and so he's interested in a new one.

Sadly, he doesn't want a tower. He wants to stay with laptops.

Rather than argue with him over this, I thought I'd doublecheck with you guys what laptops he should be hunting for.
    Thusly, he's now looking at this machine: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=638271#extra

I notice the i7 and think they could've stuck an i5 in there instead, but alas the i5 alternatives are overall appearing worse for other reasons. :<

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty good laptop.
    i7 2630
    8GB DDR3
    HD6770M
    640GB HDD

Too lazy to check to see what that price is in CDN but as far as the spec's go it is a solid build that should last him 2 to 3 years easily.

15+ Year Old Account
    Get an ASUS laptop. HP are shit.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Get an ASUS laptop. HP are shit.
    I would have preferred Asus, but don't see why he should skip HP when the build's looking solid. Mind explaining?

15+ Year Old Account
    they just tend to have much worse bloatware on them that's needed to run and run hot. i've had mediocre experiences with them compared to dells, but i also havent owned or used an hp in a few years because of that. i'm biased
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Eh, we're good at cleaning out bloatware.

15+ Year Old Account
    necessary bloatware, i mean. like webcam stuff, audio and network stuff, touchpad, whatever other keyboard software, etc., etc. not like the free games the computer comes with

If I did the conversion right that's $1,479.24 USD.. which seems kinda pricey to me, though I don't really know the laptop market that well, especially not foreign markets. Good specs though... for a laptop.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    necessary bloatware, i mean. like webcam stuff, audio and network stuff, touchpad, whatever other keyboard software, etc., etc. not like the free games the computer comes with
    Necessary and webcam in one sentence... :3

Yeah, there's a lot of bloatware, but I know for a fact that you can download the raw drivers without the added software.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    If I did the conversion right that's $1,479.24 USD.. which seems kinda pricey to me, though I don't really know the laptop market that well, especially not foreign markets. Good specs though... for a laptop.
    Norwegians pay a lot more for the same parts.

My stationary rig initially came up at the same price or so, but in the US it would've been sitting on around 1k imo.

Deleted
    My girlfriend just bought exactly that computer some weeks ago. It have good specs and quality to be a laptop, not a huge fan of them since I they mostly don't handles demanding games very well, but I got impressed actually. No problem at all with WoW atleast.

And yes there were alot of silly stuff on it when she bought it, all this HP shit, but it's easy to remove as you say.