Thread: HDD or SSD?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

HDD or SSD?

So looking on Newegg I see SSDs that are like 120GB. What's the difference between that and a 1TB HDD, other than the obvious loss of space?

10+ Year Old Account
    a 1tb drive is ~1000gb ?

Incredible speed and incredible price.

But regardless of speed on Harddrives, accesspeeds are the most major upgrade.

Yea that doesn't answer my question thought.

Get the SSD for games and other demanding applications(including your OS). Get a 1tb for storage.

This is the way to go

How does speed factor into this? Do programs open faster? Also isn't WoW at laeast 25GB + Windows 7 16GB + whatever else I have that's not enough space I don't understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    I installed an SSD into my pc last night. I got a Corsair Force GT 120gb. The most noticeable thing is the load times of stuff, especially the loading screen. It takes me about 15 seconds from hitting "enter world" to being ingame with everything loaded. On my old drive it was 30+ seconds for load screen then another 15-20 seconds until all the people appeared near me.

Troll?

Anyways; The SSD is A LOT faster than a standard HDD, which is why you want stuff that requires a high read(and or write) speed to be put on the SSD. Like WoW, its a big game and a lot of reading going on and a SSD will greatly improve that. You'll see loading screens load faster, textures loads faster and so on. The SSD is very responsive.

You want a big HDD for the files on your computer that doesn't require high speed read/write, like movies, music and so on.

insane gain in speed

SSD is good only as system drive and eventually 1 or 2 main games if you care about loading speed, as this is only thing SSD will help with.
    It wont iuncrease your fps or anything like that, it will jsut shorten loading times.

SSD drives are MUCH faster than HDD drives, because they use a differente technology. So they cost ALOT more. That's why the size of the SSD drives are usually much smaller than the HDD drives. People buy these drives and only install the OS, games, and other heavy software because in the SSD drives they will open and run MUCH faster.

The big HDD drives (1tb+) you should only use it to store stuff you don't need to open/run fast, like pictures, movies, docs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizztress View Post
    How does speed factor into this? Do programs open faster? Also isn't WoW at laeast 25GB + Windows 7 16GB + whatever else I have that's not enough space I don't understand.
    My Windows is a bit larger than that. My Wow is about 17-20 GiB though.
    And programs open a LOT faster. Initial login in wow? Loadingscreen is 6-7 seconds. My laptop also has an SSD. From the press of a button, the laptop has opened into Desktop within 8seconds, ready for use.
    Look up youtube-videos, of SSDs opening 50+ programs in 25 seconds, and a mechanical drive opening them in 1min50sec. :P

So in simpler word if I dont want to wait 40 seconds to load then another 10 to see people I should get and SSD okay that sounds awesome

SSD is fast and fun, but don't save on it files you don't want to loose, because if HDD dies you can still get files off it with some tools, or even if you can't you can pay someone to get them off, while if SSD dies its over. But for boot speed, WoW load SSD is great.
    Last edited by Unionoob; 2011-07-30 at 09:19 AM. Reason: miss delete

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    SSD is fast and fun, but don't save on it files you don't want to loose, because if HDD dies you can still get files off it with some tools, or even if you can't you can pay someone to get them off, while if SSD dies its over. But for boot speed, WoW load SSD is great.
    Wtf are you even talking about. If one of either dies your data is partially lost, period. Also, SSD's being unreliable for data storage is long gone, that was first gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizztress View Post
    So looking on Newegg I see SSDs that are like 120GB. What's the difference between that and a 1TB HDD, other than the obvious loss of space?
    If you buy SSD for a regular desktop, it would be in addition to a standard HDD.

The primary benefit is ultra fast file loading (and writing). Most programs will load instantly. Installation and patching goes much faster than on a normal HDD.

The general idea is to keep your operating system and most frequently used applications and games on it for the impatient amongst us. You would still use your HDD to store things like your photo collection, music, movies, lesser used programs etc.
    Last edited by Cows For Life; 2011-07-30 at 10:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    You should have backups of your important stuff regardless of storage medium choice.

Quote Originally Posted by blurio View Post
    You should have backups of your important stuff regardless of storage medium choice.
    and stay away from OCZ. Stick with Intel. I'm sure there are others that will chime in.

15+ Year Old Account
    access times and SSD is a HDD on crack which also is more durable then a HDD since a SSD dont have any moving parts, the only negative with a SSD is the price and storage but i still think its worth it myself has 1 64gb sata 3 and 1 128gb sata 3 both from corsair, 1 for OS and 1 for Programs/Games and then i have a 5400rpm 2tb HDD as storage which works perfect for me

im buying a new comp soon and a friend of mine said that buy an SSD and stick your OS on it and your HDD for your other stuff - but i just cant justify the price atm, in England the cheapest ive seen so far is around 160 pound for a 120gb ssd, and that atm puts it out of my budget. i will get an SSD, but ill have to wait until the prices come down im afraid

Deleted
    I don't see the point in SSD's for their current price, a lot of people are adding them into their builds because they are "massively" faster. I am using an ancient computer by todays standards, with an old SATA II drive in it. (Q6600 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR2 667mhz, HD4870 512mb.)

But even with this setup it doesn't take me long to open Warcraft, longest loading screens I get are my first login in Stormwind, that takes about 25 seconds, if people want to pay ~£80 ($130) to bring down the times by 10-15 seconds and have less storage then it's their money to waste.

I'm currently settings up a new rig, won't be putting an SSD in it until they come down in price and get more storage, standard SATA III drive 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black for the same price. (or a 3TB Hitachi Deskstar for £10 more.)
    Last edited by mmoc294ed7b9d9; 2011-07-30 at 10:52 AM.