15+ Year Old Account

Really trying hard here to see how Aff is more DPS than Destro..but..

2 hours on the dummy and my results couldn't be any less from the truth.
    Average dummy DPS with a 5 minute test each time for Destro is 14.6k
    Average dummy DPS with a 5 minute test each time for Aff is 11.4k

How can this be if Aff does more DPS? I know I'm not doing the rotation wrong, it's pretty foolproof, and I'm following the rotation from EJ to a T.
    Shadowbolt->Haunt->Bane of Doom->Corruption->UA-Shadowbolt->repeat
    Any advice? Not really sure how Aff is so good when I'm doing it right and I'm getting such horrid results.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    soul swap>Havoc is my understanding

Death improves everyone's reputation...

well it goes for all classes really you cannot judge your real dps off of dummy targets. You are missing buffs that other members of the raid bring. So by such you might be missing a buff that will add 3k dps for Aff while only adding 2k dps to Destro.

Reapply dots after demon soul. Affliction scales better than destro in a raid setting.

also you are forgetting one main thing. Execute. Afflic's drain soul only can be used to its potential sub 25 percent which you can't do on a training dummy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    DPS on a dummy doesn't mean anything. It's there to practice your rotations as far as I'm concerned.

Well for one the dummy is over 35% hp. So your dots arent stronger for a good 2+ minutes. And the dummy is also not under 25%, so you fill with shadowbolt. You should be using felpuppy and demon soul on cooldown, because it is POWERFUL. And you didnt post a link to your gear, because those numbers are REALLY low. I myself can do an easy 17k as aff on a dummy alone. Having a good DI target also boosts your dps substantially since its essentially a free 9% dmg bonus to almost all your spells, excluding SB, including DS for execute.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I just Q'd up for a random Za and I just did 21k dps on venoxis. I guess it's just buffs, there was 5% haste buff in the group and I di'd a resto druid so. I guess that's where that extra DPS comes in haha.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    A simple and short answer: You're using the dummy, the dummy is almost always a terrible source to compare how specs perform.

Well I just Q'd up for a random Za and I just did 21k dps on venoxis. I guess it's just buffs, there was 5% haste buff in the group and I di'd a resto druid so. I guess that's where that extra DPS comes in haha.
    Thats pretty much the reason aff shines in 25's more than in 10's. Those two factors, combined with multidotting and 30%haste lead to a powerful asset.

and ontop of hat a 15 % dmg buff
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Kael'thas and Kil'Jaeden are actually quite similar. For one, both names start with the letter K, which is short for...kuhraaaaazy. Second, both had a hard-on for the color red and blood-elf girls. Third, they both were defeated at the Sunwell. Lastly, they both hate people who make threads comparing things that are as different as bananas and grape drink.

10+ Year Old Account

How can this be if Aff does more DPS? I know I'm not doing the rotation wrong, it's pretty foolproof, and I'm following the rotation from EJ to a T.
    Any advice? Not really sure how Aff is so good when I'm doing it right and I'm getting such horrid results.
    You're missing execute from target dummies. Not to mention how much multi dotting you can do in Firelands.

You also don't proc DI on a dummy. That's 9% dot damage your missing out on.

Afflic dps is particularly bad on dummies because of the lack of 5% crit, 5% haste, replenishent, DI procs, <35% health, <25% health, bloodlust, 3% damage, and probably something else.

Simple answer to a simple question, your gear is better for destr than afflic

I think affliction scales better than destro in a raid setting. Like people said above, you are missing buffs that are more important for affliction compared to destro. DI stacks is probably the biggest, since dots are such a higher proportion of damage.

Also...if its your first time playing affliction it might not seem like you are doing it wrong, but any time I do a spec for the first time I think I am doing it properly but just the fact that its a new rotation I am not as smooth with it as I would be after doing it for a few hours.

Also, the difference in max theoretical dps between the specs isn't as large for patchwerk dps. Affliction is less penalized by heavy movement, making it even better for many of the FL fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Exera View Post
    A simple and short answer: You're using the dummy, the dummy is almost always a terrible source to compare how specs perform.
    the dummy isn't ALMOST always a terrible source, it is always a terrible source to compare specs, regardless of class

i can only pull 13-14k as Aff on the target dummies but over 25k in fights

the dummies also have a ridiculous amount of armor for some reason or something else that makes spells not hit as high as they should, my other toon which is a marksmen hunter only hits 40-50k crits on Aimed Shot both manual casted and instant, whereas anywhere else on anything else it hits 70k+

moral of the story: training dummies suck