15+ Year Old Account

Is this laptop ok for gaming?

Hi mates,

I am helping a friend of mine searching for a laptop that he can use for gaming. We've found something, and we would like to know how well it would perform in games like World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 even? Will the settings be low, medium or high (without shadows). We're living in Denmark btw. Please tell me if you need more information. Any kind of information is appreciated.

Graphic card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-540m-us.html
    P
    rocesser: Intel Core i7 2630QM / 2 GHz (Mobile Intel HM65 Express)
    Ram: 8 GB (DDR3 SDRAM - 1333 MHz)
    Screen: 15.6" TFT (1366 x 768 ( WXGA )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    Hi mates,

I am helping a friend of mine searching for a laptop that he can use for gaming. We've found something, and we would like to know how well it would perform in games like World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 even? Will the settings be low, medium or high (without shadows). We're living in Denmark btw. Please tell me if you need more information. Any kind of information is appreciated.

Graphic card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-540m-us.html
    P
    rocesser: Intel Core i7 2630QM / 2 GHz (Mobile Intel HM65 Express)
    Ram: 8 GB (DDR3 SDRAM - 1333 MHz)
    Screen: 15.6" TFT (1366 x 768 ( WXGA )
    That's a lot of horsepower! I think it'll run WoW/SC2 at ultra pretty dang well. Diablo 3 probably on high+ too. Even shadows =)
    RTS games love CPU&Ram power, which this laptop seems to have more than enough of.

Well its the typical new gen Laptop. Good CPU crap gpu. That's why the resolution is only 1366x768 (which is small if your looking at something like normal writing/stuff). For gaming it should work kinda nice for wow. 25 Man raiding on high should be do able. I'm playing with worse CPU (i5 430m) but with a better GPU (5850M) and i can play on high and raid 25 mans.

If its true that wow is a more CPU base your should be fine. For the others well i can play Starcraft 2 on high-ultra. But the 5850 is twice as high (http://www.notebookcheck.com/Mobile-...ste.735.0.html).
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds awesome. Thanks guys. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, great cpu crap gpu. Which is actually good for WoW since its very cpu heavy.
    At such a low resolution, you'll be fine with it. Shouldn't have a problem doing high-ish in 10 or 25 man raids.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

15+ Year Old Account
    What is a CPU and GPU? 0.o

Deleted
    Central Processing unit - Processor
    Graphics Processing unit - Graphics card / Video card

15+ Year Old Account
    I see <'3 Well, is it really that bad compared to it being a laptop? And what about games like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2?

---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 01:04 AM ----------

bumpness for help
    Last edited by iLive; 2011-08-03 at 09:08 PM.

Deleted
    Tbh it is good for a laptop but don't complain if you have it on your lap and burn yourself or even if it overheats as games do pump out a lot of heat now a days due to the power required to run them specially if your wanting to play them on high and I would NEVER use a laptop for gaming as I wouldn't want to waste cash on a good gaming laptop to have it overheat on me everytime :/

Well it depends on how you using your laptop. Lift it up at the back with a book or use a table which has holes/space so the air doesnt get clustered at a single spot (if your using a side blowing Fan). This should help alot mine runs at 60-65 C on the cores and i can still touch the laptop without burning myself.

Didnt had any overheats yet and i played everything. From cpu to gpu based games
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!