Thread: WOW on a Mac

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

WOW on a Mac

hey guys so im looking into buying a new desktop computer..the one i have now is a dell and about 6 years old. What im curious on is how are the Macs for gaming? i was looking into the IMAC's and it looks really good..i pretty much play wow and sc2 but i want a computer with no hassle problems and hear really good things about the macs. i have only been on a mac a few times and looks somewhat easy to get used to..also i was looking into a new gaming mouse/keyboard and i like the company Razer for those items and was wondering if razer's mouse/keyboard is compatible with a mac desktop? Thanks alot!

You're asking if external non-apple devices work on a macintosh? Yes...

And if you're wondering how Macs are about gaming, you ought to just google Mac+gaming. You will get more info there then anywhere here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier10101
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Razer Products are compatible with mac's

as for Macs as gaming machines... I don't recommend getting a Mac for the sole purple of a "hassle free gaming rig" yes they can play these games, I run on a Mac, but I mainly use mine for Pro Tools, Logic, Photoshop and Final Cut, I would not buy a Mac just for gaming, because they are too expensive. For the job you want, you should look into building a new comp, or finding another reason to use your mac. HOWEVER if you're looking for a Laptop for gaming, Macbook Pro's are far and away the best value compared to 90% of the PC's I've seen.
    Macbook Pro i7 2.66GHz OSX Snow Leopard Bootcamp Windows 7 Ultimate
    Mac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz 8GB DDR2 NVidia GeForce 7800GT

Deleted
    Hey There , yes they are compatible and work perfectly on mac i setup my wife with a naga and nostromo pad both from razer and the option are pretty much the same , i got the same setup also on my gaming rig . Also important point for the mouses mac is great since it recognize all button and allow for more easy configuration .

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxed060 View Post
    Razer Products are compatible with mac's

as for Macs as gaming machines... I don't recommend getting a Mac for the sole purple of a "hassle free gaming rig" yes they can play these games, I run on a Mac, but I mainly use mine for Pro Tools, Logic, Photoshop and Final Cut, I would not buy a Mac just for gaming, because they are too expensive. For the job you want, you should look into building a new comp, or finding another reason to use your mac. HOWEVER if you're looking for a Laptop for gaming, Macbook Pro's are far and away the best value compared to 90% of the PC's I've seen.
    Except that a huge bunch of the games aren't developed for Macs, hence forcing you to bootcamp to Windows = pointless to even have a Mac at that point.

Short said, no, don't buy a Mac for gaming. Then again OP said he only plays SC2 and WoW, so if he never plans to play anything else, and has a huge waller, go for it. PCs aren't that bad tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier10101
    Yep, humans went around in those days casting balls of nature and stars at each other, and healing each other on the battlefield with thrown leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Mac's and WoW, get along great. Although, Macs are very limited to gaming as Mac's are more "Business like". And Razor Products do not work for a Mac, trust me I've tried. I have a mac, and a PC.

Over all, get a PC it's better. you'll end up paying over priced for something "Shiny" when it comes to a mac.
    The cat is out of the bag.

Deleted
    macs are allmost mostly designed for designers and such..

I myself have the 3.06 intel core 2 duo imac and i can run wow pretty much with everything on high (40-60 fps in ogrimmar) except shadows then i will get lagg. some ppl like Mac because of the smooth OS it has and i myself love the allmost never error bullshit i have with windows.

I bought an imac because I design a lot with Adobe collection and other programs that just runs smoother in os x then in windows.

Yes you can play games fine for year or 2 on very high settings but then you cant upgrade and need to set setting lower or buy a new mac..

IMO if i were you i would just think like this:

Do i mostly game on my computer and allmost nothing else? then buy a nonmac gaming comp

Do i sometimes games but most of my time spend on design/ schoolwork / other? then mac is a good choice

10+ Year Old Account
    Apple are about phones and tablets. Their PCs have always been and will always be, overpriced garbage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Apple are about phones and tablets. Their PCs have always been and will always be, overpriced garbage.
    Like their phones and tablets aren't overpriced.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravegirl View Post
    And Razor Products do not work for a Mac, trust me I've tried. I have a mac, and a PC.

HMm? I guess you never try to install the driver lol u know mac also sometimes need you to install something ...just joking , but this is wrong ... i have 2 mac running wow and both have razer setup and i have 2 big boy rig PC and as i said the products work on mac sorry to hear you was not able to make it work .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Like their phones and tablets aren't overpriced.
    Can you build a better one for 1/8th the price off Newegg?

I can't but I damn sure can build a better computer.

Blizzard games work great on macs. other games you will probably need bootcamp

I've run wow on a mac for many years, never had any issues.

And dont feed the pc trolls here.

I use an iMac with WoW and the razer deathadder. It works perfectly. The Mac WoW version even has a few extra things that the windows version doesn't have, like an ingame video recording tool.

But seriously these forums are full of mac haters, so beware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penric View Post
    I've run wow on a mac for many years, never had any issues.

And dont feed the pc trolls here.
    The Mac Vs. PC debate was over years ago. Running a $17K Apple PC aginst a $4K homebuilt PC is like running a Shelby Cobra aginst a Bugatti Veyron.

I give them props for phones and tablets but PC's, just please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravegirl View Post
    Mac's and WoW, get along great. Although, Macs are very limited to gaming as Mac's are more "Business like". And Razor Products do not work for a Mac, trust me I've tried. I have a mac, and a PC.

Over all, get a PC it's better. you'll end up paying over priced for something "Shiny" when it comes to a mac.
    This is bullshit, I use several razer products and they work great on my iMac.

Deleted
    I play WoW very smooth on my Mac.

-I'd recommend it anyday. I also use a Razer keyboard and mouse and they work absolutely fine with it.

thanks guys..yea i pretty much do school work on the dell i have now along with surfing the internet/itunes for music/burning cd's for my car and typing up papers on MS word..but as i said before i just play sc2/wow and dont really plan on playing any other pc games..but i no tigerdirect and newegg have desktops for like 300$+ with windows 7 along with some nice monitors too..can probly spend like 5 $600+ overall for a new desktop with a new monitor and some speakers but i no with the macs u can buy them thru best buy and finance them over 18 months and im sure apple has it where u can finance them too

Dear Lampshades. About your question about Macs Vs PC for WoW and Sc2. Currently both brands ( talking Osx and windows) can run the two games you listed but if your planning on playing anything else chances are you are going to be screwed. Currently a-lot of software and game developers choose to only make their games for windows and if they feel like it maybe re-release a version for Mac later like what valve did with the Half-Life series. other things you might want to look at is are you getting a mac for the Mac only software for video/photo/music editing or just for gaming? In the current day market if you buy a Mac you can not upgrade it unless you go back to apple and get them to do so if they system is not out of date ( you cant just go out and buy new parts if something fails, everything has to be Mac made/approved). on the other side if your only getting looking for a system to run WoW and Sc2 and maybe other blizzard/random games down you might want to look at making yourself a computer; a-lot of the times making a new system cost less then buying a mac and you have the option to upgrade later with any part that will fit into the system. Personally as a computer tech I understand the difference between Mac and PC which are Mac are can a-lot of cool things with video/photo/music editing and is more of a status symbol then PC. But a-lot of the kool editing tools for video/photo/music Mac has can also be found in some form or anther in a windows based software which works as good or better then the mac counter part.

So in short if you don't want to read the wall-o-text get your self a PC for gaming they are cheaper easier to upgrade and a lot more software/hardware will work with it with a lot less hassle.

and Windows 7 is not 300 dollars. you can get it for $130 if you buy it from fry's with any internal part to your computer or just buy it from Directron for $99.
    http://www.directron.com/systems-operating-systems.html
    Last edited by Vinkinglord; 2011-08-06 at 12:03 PM.

Deleted
    Macs are not build for gaming, but they can run games just fine. But expect to spend 2-3k on a mac when you could've bought a self build windows for 1k with better hardware.