Refreshing Rip problems

Domtoretto - Arygos

I tried searching and it gave me a ton of results from other sections on the forum so I am going to be a nub and ask, hoping for a quick answer. Is there something I am doing wrong where I am unable to refresh Rip on a target? I always make sure that I have the 5 CPs when refreshing Rip but lately the past two weeks or so I have found that I am having to let Rip fall off so that I can apply it again and its killing my rotation.

I have tried to adjust by using Ferocious Bite but in working that into my rotation I sometimes have Rip fall off for a few seconds or Savage Roar doesnt stay up.

Halp?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it because you have used a pot? Or gotten some trinket proccs that makes you unable to refresh rip? I've noticed that aswell, and you can refresh SR quite fast after as you only need 2-3 CP to refresh it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emane View Post
    Is it because you have used a pot? Or gotten some trinket proccs that makes you unable to refresh rip? I've noticed that aswell, and you can refresh SR quite fast after as you only need 2-3 CP to refresh it.
    Um I actually dont use pots that often.. I know thats blasphemous to say as a raider but whatever. Were taking it easy this Tier due to Summer and people having lives haha.. Im not sure about trinket procs.. I havent noticed anything.. and yeah thats what I have had to start doing just to make sure SR stays up.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a trinket like the new UH or anything that procs Agi/AP, and you apply rip during the proc, you'll not be able to refresh it until it drops off. It's the whole "A more powerful spell is active..." issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sarad View Post
    If you have a trinket like the new UH or anything that procs Agi/AP, and you apply rip during the proc, you'll not be able to refresh it until it drops off. It's the whole "A more powerful spell is active..." issue.
    Thats so lame. Guess I even moreso now need to replace UW.

15+ Year Old Account
    yep its its Unheelded warnning trinket, after the stealth nerf it dropped to the same level as other 359 trinkets (below essence of cyclone and profesors talisman)
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

15+ Year Old Account
    I get it from the Revered trinket in firelands as well. Ancient Petrified Leaf.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    I get it from the Revered trinket in firelands as well. Ancient Petrified Seed.
    Correct, because it adds Agility on proc. Any change to your AP (by raw AP or agility) during a proc (on-use or RNG) will cause this issue.

As mentioned already, you're probably trying to clip a buffed Rip with an unbuffed Rip, thus causing the "A More Powerful Spell is Active" error message. I'd try to stay away from trinkets that proc AP (or Agility for that matter) like the updated Unheeded Warning. That error message is enough to drive you crazy.

Also remember that if you've got a 1-2 sec window before Tiger's Fury to come off cooldown, it's almost always better to wait, use TF, then reapply Rip so that your new Rip will have the buff from TF. (Obviously don't wait if the boss is about to run away or something.)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragekitty View Post
    then reapply Rip so that your new Rip will have the buff from TF.
    Although, for some reason, this buff does NOT cause the issue...Anyone have any insight as to why?

You can't clip Rip when the currently applied one is buffed in some way. Most likely sources of a buffed Rip are an agility pot or trinket proc.

Although, for some reason, this buff does NOT cause the issue...Anyone have any insight as to why?
    My guess would be because Tiger's Fury increases total damage done as a percentage, not AP/Agi increased by a fixed amount? There's got to be some behind-the-scenes coding that allows us to override a TF'd Rip with a non-TF'd Rip. Just not entirely sure why.

---------- Post added 2011-08-10 at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    You can't clip Rip when the currently applied one is buffed in some way. Most likely sources of a buffed Rip are an agility pot or trinket proc.
    It's not just any trinket though. For instance, if I apply a Rip while my Prestor's is proc'd and then try to apply a new Rip with no Prestor's proc, I'll be able to do it. But if I apply a Rip that's been buffed by an agility pot or an AP trinket proc then want to reapply Rip without those buffs, I'll get the error message.

15+ Year Old Account
    Correct, because it adds Agility on proc. Any change to your AP (by raw AP or agility) during a proc (on-use or RNG) will cause this issue.
    Yup, just pointing it out in case the OP gets that trinket instead.

---------- Post added 2011-08-10 at 06:50 PM ----------

My guess would be because Tiger's Fury increases total damage done as a percentage, not AP/Agi increased by a fixed amount? There's got to be some behind-the-scenes coding that allows us to override a TF'd Rip with a non-TF'd Rip. Just not entirely sure why.
    Anything with percent damage increases can be overwritten with no error. But if you can re-apply a dot when the damage increase happens or before it runs out the dot will maintain the increase until it finishes or is refreshed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

It's not just any trinket though. For instance, if I apply a Rip while my Prestor's is proc'd and then try to apply a new Rip with no Prestor's proc, I'll be able to do it. But if I apply a Rip that's been buffed by an agility pot or an AP trinket proc then want to reapply Rip without those buffs, I'll get the error message.
    Clipping of DoTs and bleeds properly accounts for haste/crit, but does not do so for AP (and, by proxy, Agility since that gives you AP).

A good Feral tracker will clearly indicate when the currently-applied bleed is buffed. For example, DroodFocus places a green dot on the icon when the current Rip/Rake is stronger than your current state, and a red dot when they are weaker than your current state (in which case it may be worth it to refresh).