Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Arcane Mage Help

Hi, I'm in a 1/7 heroic guild and I'm having trouble with my dps..lots of trouble..
    Here's my armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...e/Jer/advanced

And some logs:
    http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/133915/

My gear is pretty good, 16.97% hit cap, and I think I hit the haste soft cap. I can probably reforge better to get the DMC:V mastery back. Anyways, I'm doing like 18-21k dps on lots of fights, where I think I could be doing upwards of 25-28k. I know how to burn phase and conservation phase. I use Mage Ward whenever I can on cooldown, if it can be broken. I use pots for burn phase/lust. That's pretty much it, don't think I'm missing anything? I'm definitely letting my raid down, and I need to step up. Any tips? Please and thank you!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baboface View Post
    Hi, I'm in a 1/7 heroic guild and I'm having trouble with my dps..lots of trouble..
    Here's my armory:

And some logs:

My gear is pretty good, 16.97% hit cap, and I think I hit the haste soft cap. I can probably reforge better to get the DMC:V mastery back. Anyways, I'm doing like 18-21k dps on lots of fights, where I think I could be doing upwards of 25-28k. I know how to burn phase and conservation phase. I use Mage Ward whenever I can on cooldown, if it can be broken. I use pots for burn phase/lust. That's pretty much it, don't think I'm missing anything? I'm definitely letting my raid down, and I need to step up. Any tips? Please and thank you!
    Im assuming you dont have access to 4 set atm? If you can get it soon, do so. Also Mage Ward is nice , but its another GCD lost. Try to only use this if youre moving etc. Do you have any other trinkets you can use?

Just from the top of my head. Change trinkets.

Also try using RaWr or askmrrobot.com for stat optimization.

I would say the same as Murzoo.

Get trinket from ragnaros and Moonwell Chalise.

This would make you loose all your hit rating from your trinkets though, but as int>hit, you should be able to find your hit elsewhere.

I would respec slighty from your current spec, and go http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...!S!Y!aZYghRQPm for the AoE viability.

Another thing, could be to get a bit more crit, and slightly less mastery, since they go extremely well hand in hand. I have personally found that a balanced crit and mastery is better then full out mastery.

You have gemmed your chest incorrectly, should be 2 x 40 int gems (I could do the math, but im lazy).

And for hit purposes and since it is the best offpiece, try to replace your head with the one from Rhyolith, it will help you with the hit issues you will see once you change trinkets.

Oh yea, and btw.. You are playing 10 man, remember to compare your numbers with 10 man raids, not 25 man raids! There is a difference.

If you want, there is a tool where you can compare your dps vs. top 100 of WoL parses average, og against all parses average:
    http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D.../60/default/#4 (top 100)
    http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D.../60/default/#4 (All parses)

So you being at around 20-22k aint all that shabby. But improvements are there to be made, keep at it!

Cheers
    - Nitrak
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
    - Mario Andretti

It seems to me that using Mage Ward on cooldown (30 seconds) is a bad thing for arcane mages, since chipping 16% of basa mana (as tooltip states) away every 30 seconds seems like a loss while trying to conserve mana as high as possible to maximise dps.

I would rather recommend to use it while moving (as stated above) or at obvious moments, for example before Shannox' Magma Rupture.
    "MMMMMMMButtscratcher!"

Quote Originally Posted by mtelkamp View Post
    Im assuming you dont have access to 4 set atm? If you can get it soon, do so. Also Mage Ward is nice , but its another GCD lost. Try to only use this if youre moving etc. Do you have any other trinkets you can use?
    Yeah I don't have 4set tier 12 yet. Hoping Occuthar drops gloves next week, or else I'd have to wait 2 more for valor. :| OR! Makordomo can stop dropping Prot tokens! And for mage ward, I definitely did feel weird casting that and having to wait one gcd to start casting again. Thanks for the tip.

---------- Post added 2011-08-05 at 05:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pj4ever View Post
    I would say the same as Murzoo.

Get trinket from ragnaros and Moonwell Chalise.

This would make you loose all your hit rating from your trinkets though, but as int>hit, you should be able to find your hit elsewhere.

I would respec slighty from your current spec, and go http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#ec00!jPbhejehded!S!Y!aZYghRQPm for the AoE viability.

Another thing, could be to get a bit more crit, and slightly less mastery, since they go extremely well hand in hand. I have personally found that a balanced crit and mastery is better then full out mastery.

You have gemmed your chest incorrectly, should be 2 x 40 int gems (I could do the math, but im lazy).

And for hit purposes and since it is the best offpiece, try to replace your head with the one from Rhyolith, it will help you with the hit issues you will see once you change trinkets.

Oh yea, and btw.. You are playing 10 man, remember to compare your numbers with 10 man raids, not 25 man raids! There is a difference.

If you want, there is a tool where you can compare your dps vs. top 100 of WoL parses average, og against all parses average:
    http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D.../60/default/#4 (top 100)
    http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_D.../60/default/#4 (All parses)

So you being at around 20-22k aint all that shabby. But improvements are there to be made, keep at it!

Cheers
    - Nitrak
    I agree with you and Murzoo. I definitely need to change my trinkets, especially my Stump of Time. I have access to the Firelands rep one. I was kind of avoiding it because it had crit, but I will use your advice and try getting more crit. Don't know if I can reforge all that hit back though, most of my reforge is hit already.. >_<

I was looking at that like a few weeks ago, while attempting Ragnaros. I was going to make that exact change, but I forgot to, thanks for bringing that up!

For the chest, I did that to get the 20 hit, otherwise I would be 16.70% ish hit. With the new trinket and full out redo on my reforge, I'll try and get two 40 int gems.

And thanks for everything else, I did check raidbots when it was on the front page of mmo-champ, I should check it out more.

Rune of Zeth is actually a horrible Arcane Trinket... 359 Theralions mirror beat it (if i remember correctly).

The thing with intellect is, its AWESOME to have, is not as awesome to proc (if you are mastery heavy, it is more alright if your not mastery mass heavy), but seeing as you have 20 mastery, it is NOT good.

Idd drop the volcano aswell. Theralions Mirror + Soul Casket = Alot better then your current trinkets, even though they both are (Theralion can be 372) 359 ilvl.

Feel free to check out my char if you want to check out anything http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...itrak/advanced (as im linking that im just realising my shoulder gem is wrong, should be 40 int, but apart from that stuff should be ok).
    - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Pj4ever View Post
    Rune of Zeth is actually a horrible Arcane Trinket... 359 Theralions mirror beat it (if i remember correctly).

The thing with intellect is, its AWESOME to have, is not as awesome to proc (if you are mastery heavy, it is more alright if your not mastery mass heavy), but seeing as you have 20 mastery, it is NOT good.

Idd drop the volcano aswell. Theralions Mirror + Soul Casket = Alot better then your current trinkets, even though they both are (Theralion can be 372) 359 ilvl.

Feel free to check out my char if you want to check out anything http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...itrak/advanced (as im linking that im just realising my shoulder gem is wrong, should be 40 int, but apart from that stuff should be ok).
    Yeah Theralion's Mirror is way up there, but my guild doesn't go to tier 11 raids anymore lol. And I would LOVEEEE shard of woe but I agree, my trinkets are trash. Baleroc and Ragnaros have yet to drop trinkets though. :[ I think I'll get Soul Casket when I get enough valor, then. Thanks for your tip!

Deleted
    So, ye, ur doing really low dps with this gear.

If it comes to the gear:
    Change Rune of Zeth - its total crap for Arcane Mage.
    Enchant Gloves for +65 mastery.
    That's all actually. The rest is perfectly fine.

For the talents, I strongly recommend take 1 point in Nether Vortex (simply take one from blink or cloack. Imo blink +2 isn't that necessary in this patch)

If it comes to the logs, I did take a look on few kills and I think ur playing bad, it's only reason if ur gear and talents seems to be good.

It's rly hard to tell what ur doing wrong just by logs, but ther are few clues. The main thing that just throws into my eyes that UR USING ARCANE BLAST TOO MUCH. For this reason, u have too low mana cap during the whole fight and wasting too muchdps. Ur percentage damage done by AB is too fucking big.

For example: 18 k dps on Lord this week when arcane explosion with 4 stacks AB works nice on small adds, ur just nuking them with AB. It's wrong. And yes, I know what i'm talking about:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...&e=8143#Rybzor
    Yes, I know its 25, but still, too big difference (10m, click). Basically my arcane explosion was 1/2 of the AB damage. In ur case it was 1/20 of the AB damage.

Second: Alysrazor Fight. I assume that ur flying one. Ur dps in nuke phase is around 125, should be like ~250. The main reason, as I can see is ur combustion failing. It should du way more dmg during entrie fight.

Majordomo: 18k is fucking low. Basically, except ur burn phase at start u did like 10k dps during the normal conversation phase. No idea why and how did u do that. Compare ur log from that fight to my from last week:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=6898&e=7304
    U can see that my damage output in not-burn phase was way higher than urs.

Oh well its all I have to say atm. That's hard to tell what u'r doing wrong just according to the logs, if ur gear is almost perfectly fine. I think ur just playing bad, not using correct spells in specific situations etc.

And ofc, I didn't want to be mean. Hope I helped u somehow.
    Last edited by mmoca28de1ede4; 2011-08-06 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rybzor View Post

If it comes to the gear:

For the talents, I strongly recommend take 1 point in Nether Vortex (simply take one from blink or cloack. Imo blink +2 isn't that necessary in this patch)

If it comes to the logs, I did take a look on few kills and I think ur playing bad, it's only reason if ur gear and talents seems to be good.

It's rly hard to tell what ur doing wrong just by logs, but ther are few clues. The main thing that just throws into my eyes that UR USING ARCANE BLAST TOO MUCH. For this reason, u have too low mana cap during the whole fight and wasting too muchdps. Ur percentage damage done by AB is too fucking big.

For example: 18 k dps on Lord this week when arcane explosion with 4 stacks AB works nice on small adds, ur just nuking them with AB. It's wrong. And yes, I know what i'm talking about:
    Yes, I know its 25, but still, too big difference (10m, click). Basically my arcane explosion was 1/2 of the AB damage. In ur case it was 1/20 of the AB damage.

Second: Alysrazor Fight. I assume that ur flying one. Ur dps in nuke phase is around 125, should be like ~250. The main reason, as I can see is ur combustion failing. It should du way more dmg during entrie fight.

Majordomo: 18k is fucking low. Basically, except ur burn phase at start u did like 10k dps during the normal conversation phase. No idea why and how did u do that. Compare ur log from that fight to my from last week:

Oh well its all I have to say atm. That's hard to tell what u'r doing wrong just according to the logs, if ur gear is almost perfectly fine. I think ur just playing bad, not using correct spells in specific situations etc.

During that fight he had 0/2 in improved Arcane Explosion, it was only after my advice he took it, and that can hurt your AoE dps ALOOOOT...
    - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Rybzor View Post

If it comes to the gear:

Yeah, I'm working on getting the Moonwell thing while I wait for drops from Rag and Baleroc.
    I know I'm playing bad, and thanks for your logs. I don't really care about Alysrazor at the moment, just want to know why I'm doing so bad as Arcane. For the most recent Majordomo, comparing our logs, I think I'm just doing the conservation phase wrong or something. But I learned quite a bit searching around and from everyone's posts here. I can't wait for next week to see if I improve. Thanks again for your hurtful but helpful comments lol.

You are way to low on int, that said you should be doing more dps with that gear... WAY more.
    N

Quote Originally Posted by Ellesarr View Post
    You are way to low on int, that said you should be doing more dps with that gear... WAY more.
    I think the only reason I'm low on intellect is because of my two trinkets. And I know I need to replace them. And obviously I need to be doing way more dps..That's the whole point of this topic, I am asking for help. If you have some wonderful insights, please share!

Deleted
    Like I told u, u need to practice a bunch of arcane mage mechanics and how it's all working during the boss fights. That's basically all u have to do atm. We can't tell u that u should press "this" button in "this" situation. U have to get to this on ur own. Just try to improve.

Well firstly you should have 65 mastery to your glove as opposed to 50 haste since the looks of your reforging you're going for as much mastery as possible, even though you're not rocking 4 piece tier11. which you should level haste a little bit.

and honestly you should try and obtain regular TM from BoT it is definitely better then Rune oF Zeth.

Deleted
    Hoi.

I found one error in the Baleroc encounter ... The encounter is basically a tank&spank boss = max DPS is possible here. But when i watch your Log from the Baleroc kill i notice one big error: You are using your burst Cooldowns while you need to move ("tank" the kristall thingy). You wasted about ~5-6k DPS there (compared to your first burn phase). Compare it by yourself: First Burnphase ~62k DPS, 2nd Burnphase ~50k DPS, 3rd Burnphase ~45k. You notice the difference ^^ ?

Deleted
    In my opinion, the main problem is that you're focusing on mastery too much. Mastery is still great, but comes after haste (until soft cap) once you don't have you 4p T11 anymore. You should reforge your gear differently so that you reach at least 1500/1600 haste rating, and then focus on mastery.

Also, as many said, change Rune of Zeth for Moonwell Chalice or heroic Mirror of Theralion. Even the Ragnaros trinket would be much better.

Deleted
    Hello - you dont seemed to be following any reforging or gemming patterns at all -

firstly , you reforge most hit of items but you enchant gloves for haste intest of mastery - seems odd

also your chest has a gem bonus of +20 intellect. you you ingnore and put in two red gems, that is so silly, you could have the same amount of int and 20 of another useful stat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    also your chest has a gem bonus of +20 intellect. you you ingnore and put in two red gems, that is so silly, you could have the same amount of int and 20 of another useful stat
    This is completely wrong. His gemming is fine, since the sockets are blue and yellow, which means he would be loosing 20 int to 20 hit and 20 haste/mastery if he was gemming orange/purple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maak View Post
    This is completely wrong. His gemming is fine, since the sockets are blue and yellow, which means he would be loosing 20 int to 20 hit and 20 haste/mastery if he was gemming orange/purple.
    and the shoulders, you wouldnt gem for intellect there? -