Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cat Form Rotation Macro

I recently found out that my guild master, Squinky, is a renowned SPriest and has an amazing thread on single button macros that sustain all dots and maximize dps. He helped me start this macro and inspired me to take it to the depth he has. I'll start by saying this: Yes, it's possible. I'll add this, however: It isn't easy and it takes time. It has to be carefully fine tuned to your haste and crit chance. My haste is currently 1356, 1132 crit(39.21% self-buffed and LotP). Also consider that I am hit capped as well as soft expertise capped.

Considering that my crit is as high as it is, I can assume that 1 out of 4 abilities will crit, thus guaranteeing I will get 5 points every time I go to cast Rip. I know sometimes Clearcasting will kick in a ton and I'll power through some abilities and have some idle time before the next Tiger's Fury is off cooldown which can easily be filled with a Shred or two. I know some times Clearcasting won't proc at all and the macro will drag along but all the buffs/debuffs will stay up. If done properly(not just mashing the button but waiting half about a second or so between abilities), Rip will be off the target a total of 3 seconds but always be applied during Tiger's Fury(therein making it do more damage), Rake will never be off the target for any longer than a second, and Savage Roar will always be up. But remember, this must be fine tuned: some abilities may need to be removed/added to properly compensate for your lack/abundance of haste. I will hopefully get the formula down soon so I can have several exact macros that will work for any particular level of haste.

This macro is intended for the T11 4-piece(my T12 4-piece is part of my tank set). You use the first one until Cower is cast or you can do other things like Nature's Grasp to get your attention or any Bear Form ability to lock the macro up so you're reminded to change to the sustaining macro. I'm currently working on one that includes Berserk from the start that will eventually go to the sustaining macro as well as ones for Bloodlust, already having your T11 4-piece macro active, having a certain amount of talent points already active on the target, and so on. For those of you using your T12 4-piece the second and third Mangle can be replaced with Shred, as well as every other Mangle being replaced by Shred.

I'll say this one last time - If the macro doesn't work perfectly don't get angry and blame me for being a /facepalm. To have this properly work, it's going to need fine tuning unless you have gear mirroring mine as well as the exact same enchants, gemming and reforging. Given a little work, this macro is a dps improvement. To use these macros you will need an addon that allows you to make macros that are longer than 255 characters.

/use 13
    /use 14
    /castsequence reset=target Faerie Fire (Feral), Mangle(Cat Form), Savage Roar, Rake, Mangle(Cat Form), Tiger's Fury, Mangle(Cat Form), Rake, Rip, Shred, Shred, Savage Roar, Shred, Shred, Rake, Ferocious Bite, Mangle(Cat Form), Mangle(Cat Form), Shred, Tiger's Fury, Rake, Rip, Shred, Shred, Shred, Savage Roar, Shred, Rake, Mangle(Cat Form), Ferocious Bite, Shred, Shred, Cower(Cat Form)
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

This macro will sustain all the buffs as long as you go into it straight from the previous macro or have at least 4 combo points active on your current target. It will not, however, give you your T11 4-piece stacks until the second Tiger's Fury unless it's already active. The easiest way to fix that is by using Mangle at least once but ideally twice before using the macro.

/use 13
    /use 14
    /castsequence reset=target Tiger's Fury, Rake, Rip, Shred, Mangle(Cat Form), Shred, Savage Roar, Shred, Rake, Mangle(Cat Form), Shred, Ferocious Bite, Shred, Shred, Shred, Shred,

I'm working on the Berserk macro now that includes Feral Charge/Ravage from the start. Hopefully I can get it working soon.

Hmmm interesting might try it, btw what's the add on that let me use longer macros?

Or you can not use a macro to play your character for you, and get some skill, just saying. Talk about boring.

First off Mudkiper, sitting around and waiting for thread to pop up so you can insult those who are trying to help others? Talk about boring. This is intended to help others as doing good feral dps can be a chore for those unfamiliar with the class structure.

And Jshidaka, check out Squinky's Spell Rotation Macros for Cataclysm page at shadowpriest dot com and follow the instruction at the start of the thread. The easiest way to fix the one line in the final part of the SuperDuperMacro.lua is to use ctrl+f after opening the file and finding super. This will help shortening the line to SDM easier and faster.

Also, thanks to MasterNewbie, I've figured out a Beserk macro that can follow right into the Sustaining macro. Once Berserk is off cooldown, the easiest way to pick up Berserk again is creating the same macro and removing Feral Charge and Ravage and picking the macro up after you renew Savage Roar in the sustaining macro. Once again, Cower is used as an indicator that I need to switch to the Sustaining macro.

/use 13
    /use 14
    /castsequence reset=target Faerie Fire (Feral), Feral Charge(Cat Form), Mangle(Cat Form), Rake, Savage Roar, Ravage!, Mangle(Cat Form), Tiger's Fury, Rake, Berserk(Cat or Bear Form), Mangle(Cat Form), Rip, Shred, Savage Roar, Shred, Shred, Shred, Ferocious Bite, Shred, Shred, Rake, Shred, Ferocious Bite, Mangle(Cat Form), Savage Roar, Shred, Shred, Shred, Cower

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Denjiki View Post
    First off Mudkiper, sitting around and waiting for thread to pop up so you can insult those who are trying to help others? Talk about boring. This is intended to help others as doing good feral dps can be a chore for those unfamiliar with the class structure.

Cheers!
    Well, then letting people use macros and rely on them to do proper DPS instead of understanding the logic behind the rotation isn't exactly helpful, I wouldn't see a point to playing WoW if all you did was copy paste a macro and spam it in raids... that would be extremely boring and rather detached.

Feral rotation is far from hard, all you need is some practice and understanding, I'd rather link a cat guide to them than a macro to do the job for them.

But nonetheless, A+ for effort.

I really can't say that I approve using a one-button macro to do DPS. Nothing will ever equal learning the actual class and you will often fall short if you use anything that does not account for what's actually happening in the fight.

Just to use one random example, you say that with your crit chance you can usually build 5 CPs with 4 skills.
    Yeah, that's probably true, if I'm lucky I can do it with 3. But sometimes, like pretty rarely, I'll still have to use 5 frickin skills to get my 5 CPs. Using the macro would make me Rip at 4 CP which is terrible. You not only semi-waste the energy to build up those 4 CPs (semi because the skills still do some damage) but then for the whole duration of your Rip you will do subpar damage because the macro isn't made to reapply a 5CP Rip ASAP.

I appreciate the effort but I can't encourage going that way. There are addons out there that actually tell you what button to press if you're not good at the Feral rotation, and they actually take stuff into account so you don't Rip at 4 CPs. Some are like training wheels, sort of helping you learning the rotation for yourself if you're capable to eventually discern the patterns which is not something a macro can do either. Last but not least, if the Feral rotation is a "chore" for anyone, go Balance or just reroll. If you don't enjoy what you do, do something else. Make an Arcane Mage.

Edit: I would be curious to see a log of the DPS this macro provides.
    Last edited by Selverein; 2011-08-14 at 05:42 AM.

That sounds pretty lame and boring...why would u ever play your character with 1 button. That takes the fun out of it...I play my class because it has MORE abilities to use. MORE buttons to press. Not 1. Fail cannot describe your mentality of this game.

I have to say this. Feral Rotation is no longer hard since cataclysm. Hard was in ICC where you had to keep 1 buff with less duration than actual and 3 debuffs (all with less duration) with an energy bar that always was 10e/s (now buffs and haste increase it) and letting any of them drop was a huge dps loss, and some of the abilities costed more than actually. Now if you lose Savage Roar is not a noticeable dps lose and you can replace it really quick. You really don't need macros to do this.

I don't pretend to be mean

I think this is fascinating and am curious as to what you will come up with in the end, Denjiki.

Deleted
    Instead of creating some brainless macro to "help" someone get "better" at their class
    you could simply just try to explain the basics behind dpsing as a feral which is not hard at all.
    If someone cant grasp the logic behind how you dps as a feral cat they shouldnt be playing this game.

+1 for your effort in helping the dummies i guess

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wakarimas View Post
    Instead of creating some brainless macro to "help" someone get "better" at their class
    you could simply just try to explain the basics behind dpsing as a feral which is not hard at all.
    If someone cant grasp the logic behind how you dps as a feral cat they shouldnt be playing this game.

+1 for your effort in helping the dummies i guess
    I don't think you understand the purpose of this thread.

Macro looks great, will give it a try later

Using a macro point blank defeats the purpose of playing a cat.
    The whole fun in playing a cat is analysing the many variables, then anticipating what to do next.

However macros are great for targeting, interrupting a non primary focused target, etc... Not to play your game.
    Imo using macros to dps is a step behind using a bot to play for you.
    A no no

Quote Originally Posted by Tareum View Post
    Using a macro point blank defeats the purpose of playing a cat.
    The whole fun in playing a cat is analysing the many variables, then anticipating what to do next.

However macros are great for targeting, interrupting a non primary focused target, etc... Not to play your game.
    Imo using macros to dps is a step behind using a bot to play for you.
    A no no

I'd say Blizzard already removed all the fun from playing a Cat. If playing with macros gives him some satisfaction more power to him.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    so, pop macro, go afk n have a cuppa
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

Deleted
    If you want a 1button class, roll arcane mage.
    Seriously why do people want complex macros to play the game for them for supbar results?

10+ Year Old Account
    Galaxy MV4478-87, Vontos cluster, Alpha Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by jshidaka View Post
    Hmmm interesting might try it, btw what's the add on that let me use longer macros?
    SuperDuper macro addon

anyway im using this one4
    Code:
    #showtooltip/castsequence [stealth] Pounce; reset=target Rake, Mangle(Cat Form),Savage Roar, Mangle(Cat Form),Mangle(Cat Form),Rake,Rip,Mangle(Cat Form),Ferocious Bite,Mangle(Cat Form),Rake,Mangle(Cat Form),Rip

I have nothing against having a macro doing everything for you.

Except that for Feral DPS, it is simply impossible to get anywhere near optimal DPS with a macro.
    Your DPS will simply suck if you don't follow at least the basic Feral Cat priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by tangedyn View Post
    I have nothing against having a macro doing everything for you.
    Quite right actually. If that's what rocks your boat by all means, knock yourself out.
    You'll be missing out though on the amazing rush of knowing it was YOU that produced a 115k ferocious bite.

The entire reason I created these macro's in the first place was because I use a 15 button WoW mouse and very recently 3 of the buttons I use most broke. I have a kid on the way so I have a lot better things to spend my money on(as much as I would like to get a new mouse anyway lol) so I created these macro's to help supplement the loss of the buttons. I am totally dependent on using the buttons and losing them was a fierce loss on my dps. On another note, I totally understand why everyone is hating on a one button macro. They are kinda boring. And if anyone wants to hate on this being without skill then you're wrong. To get the macro's to work properly they must be tinkered with and perfectly fine tuned. And yes, I understand, RNG can sometimes screw this macro up just a tad but otherwise it's pretty solid. I always get 5 points on my rip, I never drop any buffs/debuffs and have a very slight dps increase because of the consistency. I decided to make this macro, aside from my mouse issue, to try to optimize my dps as best as possible like Squinky does with his SPriest. If you don't want to use the macro, then don't! I know the in's and out's of my class very well and if my mouse hadn't died this thread would've never began. I appreciate all the comments and critiques, but I'm gonna keep working on these macros.

On another note, almost done with the one for Bloodlust/Heroism.
    Last edited by Denjiki; 2011-08-14 at 06:35 PM.

Are you trying to convince us that your macro will provide more DPS than following the simple priority list http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2089200852#7 ?

Just looking through your cycle, I can say you'll be lucky to get 90% of the DPS you will get by following the simple priority list.
    Your Tiger's Fury will be off. You may be able to keep your buffs up all the time, but you are wasting energy and CPs over-refreshing them. You will run into 4 point rips occasionally, or even less if you miss or get dodged, and it will get hilariously bad if you run into "A more powerful spell is already active" and end up with your energy capping. Your 4T11 bonus will occasionally drop. You are using more FBs than you really should.

Seriously, use the priority list, then find a target dummy. If you still can't follow the priority list, practice using Ovale and Leafkiller's Ovale script. It will give you more a lot more DPS in less time than it will take to tweak macros.