Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    From what I've seen raiding isn't at all the only endgame though? I tend to play my online games with lots of friends, most of which are casual, and they already seem impressed enough with battlegrounds, arena, adventures and their housing to play around with at endgame. I personally am very interested in the raiding part at least, but I don't think it's fair to claim that raiding is the only endgame in this game even when there is so much talk about and focus on it.
    Correct.

There is end game for dungeons, raids, arena, and war plots.

Missing is end game for solo (dailies and chronicles are not end game) and last I heard veteran adventures are just a stepping stone and thus not an end game.

However, missing from early and mid game are raids, arena, and war plots.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

We're talking specifically about leveling through combat.
    Um no we are not. You are maybe, but I specifically said quest zones and quest content.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    We... already have... this is why the first thing I said to you was:

"You must be new here. Hi my name is zito and this is bard."

I ask again why does it have to be raids? Here is your box: [] get out of it.
    WHAT THE HELL WOULD BE THEN POINT OF EVEN HAVING A LEVELING SYSTEM!

It'd be completely, utterly, and without 'effing question pointless! So let's just trash MMOs entirely at this point and start completely from scratch. Which guess who's going to do it?

Nobody. Because that's a fat risk not worth taking. Have to create a whole new damn genre just for it to work if I am getting you.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    We're talking specifically about leveling through combat.

If you're going to make a game where people can do given focuses from basically the first level, what would be at the end of the line for people leveling via combat? Just to hit their level cap and go, "Well guys, we're here. Let's go home. Those other guys will fight the even cooler stuff."
    Do you mean leveling through solo content such as quests? Because there's many forms of "combat", solo, small group, medium group, large group.

Solo content would lead to solo end game. Already mentioned a game that does that,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Or have the ability to go solo against bosses and have leader boards for kill times?
    (Hint, it's vindictus)

If you're going to make a game where people can do given focuses from basically the first level, what would be at the end of the line for people leveling via combat? Just to hit their level cap and go, "Well guys, we're here. Let's go home. Those other guys will fight the even cooler stuff."
    Levels are just an illusion. But if you want an example of how this works see Diablo 3 where the "level" cap is 870.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post

It'd be completely, utterly, and without 'effing question pointless! So let's just trash MMOs entirely at this point and start completely from scratch. Which guess who's going to do it?

Nobody. Because that's a fat risk not worth taking. Have to create a whole new damn genre just for it to work if I am getting you.
    *Looks at EQN and a handful of MMOs coming out over the next few years*

You may want to delete your post :P

*Looks at EQN and a handful of MMOs coming out over the next few years*

You may want to delete your post :P
    Unproven MMOs that could implode upon themselves like a dying star therefore creating a black hole and destroy all life.

And it's all your fault and you know it!

If you remove the visual of levels while you are questing, what is left? The exact same thing you have always did and enjoyed just without that visual indicator which is just some meaningless number.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just played for about 2 hours. Really liking it. It has a very Ratchet and Clank feel to it. I'm getting very burned out on the whole MMO thing, so I don't know if I'll be getting this one. But I've certainly enjoyed it a lot more than some of the other recent MMOs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

If you remove the visual of levels while you are questing, what is left? The exact same thing you have always did and enjoyed just without that visual indicator which is just some meaningless number.
    @Kelliak: You do realize that for the majority of MMO players, raiding is not their "end game", right? It's mainly questing, exploring, leveling stuff. It's why carbine talked so much about the need for "solo end game" even though they ran out of time to develop it.

@Kelliak: You do realize that for the majority of MMO players, raiding is not their "end game", right? It's mainly questing, exploring, leveling stuff. It's why carbine talked so much about the need for "solo end game" even though they ran out of time to develop it.
    I was looking forward to it too. Hoping Carbine could pick up where The secret world couldn't but alas...

Then you're left with a pretty hardcore sandbox.

And a dangerous concept.

That said though, one of the things that pulled me to ArcheAge was being able to focus on what I want to do as a player versus what the game intended for me.

If only Black Desert Online would get a damn western publisher.

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking forward to it too. Hoping Carbine could pick up where The secret world couldn't but alas...
    TSW was a great game. Unfortunately the combat was BOOOORING.

Seriously though if they got the combat down I'd probably still be playing it. First MMO that actually scared me. When you're in that underground parking lot and the lights are off. That was sweet.

Then you're left with a pretty hardcore sandbox.
    Removing that Number that says your level 50 isn't making a hardcore sandbox.... not even close

That said though, one of the things that pulled me to ArcheAge was being able to focus on what I want to do as a player versus what the game intended for me.
    Getting warmer, BARD COME QUICK. I think we are getting it through!

I mean, you could still have leveling if people really "need" it.

You could progress each game mode individually like guilds in TESO or classes in FF14.

My character could be a Stalker who is a:
    Lv 45 Explorer (solo content)
    Lv 20 Soldier (battle grounds)
    Lv 27 Adventurer (small group content)
    Lv 50 Raider (large group content)
    Lv 01 Gladiator (arena)

By doing those game modes I could progress it's level and unlock it's associated content.

TSW was a great game. Unfortunately the combat was BOOOORING.
    TSW did exactly what I said about meaningless level numbers. It was the standard theme park MMO with better questing just without that little visual. It had the same gear progression and other shit in MMOs today. You just didn't have that number over your head.

I was hoping for the opposite to happen. Removing levels and it's system but alas...

Removing that Number that says your level 50 isn't making a hardcore sandbox.... not even close

Getting warmer, BARD COME QUICK. I think we are getting it through!
    No, getting rid of the number frees the world up a great deal. It's actually pretty restricting and experimenting would be quite comical without such simplistic indicators.

Assuming you ran with it. I mean it would be pretty lame to try and change the game in such a manner and then make it literally like WoW or something with no numbers.

I mean, you could still have leveling if people really "need" it.
    See post 22842

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post26996902

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming you ran with it. I mean it would be pretty lame to try and change the game in such a manner and then make it literally like WoW or something with no numbers.
    Yea there is a game like that. It's called The Secret World.

TSW did exactly what I said about meaningless level numbers. It was the standard theme park MMO with better questing just without that little visual. It had the same gear progression and other shit in MMOs today. You just didn't have that number over your head.

I was hoping for the opposite to happen. Removing levels and it's system but alas...
    I could have swore it had a leveling system akin to any other MMO.

It has been a while though.

I could have swore it had a leveling system akin to any other MMO.
    Weapon leveling doesn't really count because it was just for weapons and also pointless and is just gated content.

See post 22842

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post26996902

- - - Updated - - -

Yea there is a game like that. It's called The Secret World.
    Except TSW had some seriously awesome themes and quests.

Ugh... the combat. Why. It was the one themepark MMO I REALLY could've worshipped.