LastLast

Graphic error on GTX580

Hello

About 4-5 months ago I purchased a new PC

• Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    • Memory: 8192MB RAM
    • Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    • Display Memory: 4063 MB

While delivering a satisfying performance, during the past 2 weeks it has been giving me a random strange error. It has happened 5 times over around 15 hours of activity.

When playing game or watching video, all of a sudden - and rather sporadically - the screen seems to switch off, instead displaying a lot of squares (approx 2x2 cm big), all of them being brown/grey in different shades. At the same time, GFX fan suddenly speeds up going from really silent to really loud. Now, with the older driver version the screen just stayed turned off after the squares disappeared after 2-3 seconds, but with the recent driver from Nvidia the image does come back and I can continue playing/watching normally, without the slightest lag.

This is what it looks like:

Now my questions are as follows:

• Is it 100% sure an artefact issue which means I have to return my graphic card?
    • Are there other possible diagnoses for this?
    • Are there any good tools out there to test graphic card for possible HW errors?
    • Can it be the screen/connector that is at fault?

Thanks beforehand for your help. If I haven't provided enough details, feel free to ask and I'll elaborate.

Rgrds
    Avra
    Last edited by Avrantia; 2011-08-20 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added image

Definitely sounds like a driver issue or hardware issue. I am leaning more towards hardware issue. Do you have an overclock on your card? If not, I suggest trying for an RMA, as a stock speed 580 should not be having this issue.

I'm not overclocking it

Another thing is that it's not overheating. I run speedfan and temp never goes above 65 degrees. My old gfx constantly had 90 :/

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    What power supply are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    What power supply are you using?
    1000W Cooler Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avrantia View Post
    • Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    • Display Memory: 4063 MB
    • Have you allocated system memory to dedicate for your GPU? ;o

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Have you allocated system memory to dedicate for your GPU? ;o[/LIST]
    I just took out some random lines from a dxdiag, I havent really been changing anything memory-wise

Is your GTX580 factory overclocked ?! Ive heard that many of the pre-overclocked GTX5xx are unstable and usually need more voltage.

Anyway , If you want to know if your GPU is not stable or faulty (OCd or Not) , Download OCCT , its really similar to furmark but it tell you if your GPU does some error.

Deleted
    I've got the card aswell.

I've only experienced Crashing in WoW, and that was when DX11 was turned on. Without that everything worked fine.

(My GPU is OCd from 795 > 900~MHz)

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Is your GTX580 factory overclocked ?.
    I dont think so. Any way I can check?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avrantia View Post
    I dont think so. Any way I can check?
    It should have a core clock of 772mhz @ stock, you can check with a program such as GPU-Z

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    It should have a core clock of 772mhz @ stock, you can check with a program such as GPU-Z
    Most cards downclock on idle or 2D.
    Get MSI Afterburner and fire up a game, then look at the graphs and tell us what the highest core clock was.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Get MSI Afterburner and fire up a game, then look at the graphs and tell us what the highest core clock was.
    never heard of that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeko View Post
    never heard of that?
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/msiab.jpg/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    It does downclock on idle, however GPU-Z shows the normal core clock unless you actually press on sensors or w/e and end up in a different tab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    It does downclock on idle, however GPU-Z shows the normal core clock unless you actually press on sensors or w/e and end up in a different tab
    My 6950 shows something like 300 on core (check my cpuz sig)

According to MSI Afterburn, Core clock displays to 782 when I'm in game. :/ So that seems normal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by verba View Post
    I've got the card aswell.

I've only experienced Crashing in WoW, and that was when DX11 was turned on. Without that everything worked fine.

(My GPU is OCd from 795 > 900~MHz)
    bumping mu poooaåopksd

Mod Warning:
    1. No bumping
    2. English only.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-08-17 at 05:19 PM.

Updated thread with picture taken with cellphone when the error occurs.

id just return it... always a shame when such a high end GPU borks up...
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim