Deleted

SSD/HDD Question

Hey all!

I've not really upgraded my PC since I built my own one a few years back, except for a Graphics Card that blew, and I figure as the rest of the hardware is still doing me really well, the HDD is what I need to upgrade (especially as it's making some funky noises now).

What I was wondering is if any of you would recommend an SSD and a Storage HD that you've either got yourselves or seen working well. I've tried looking at the reviews of the SSD's on the frontpage and on other sites but I just get confused. Not looking to spend *too* much, ~£200 for both, possibly £250, but looking between all the 120ish SSD's I can't choose between them.

The PC is primarily used for WoW/Gaming with a bit of 3D Design if I have to bring work home.

Thanks in advance for your help!

~Daz

Either OCZ Vertex 3 (avoid the agility ones) or a Crucial one for the SSD, and a WD Caviar Black for storage. Basicly, what it says on the setup of the month .. they're good drives

Samsung Spinpoint F3 from the frontpage computers, and any of the 4 SSD's mentioned will work fine.

Just wouldn't take OCZ because they have reliability issues, Corsair Force series of SSDs would be good replacement, even last year's models since your computer will not have SATA3 ports and you wont get best speed out of the SATA3 discs anyway.

Which brings me to another point. Few years old without much upgrades is getting really ancient for any modern 3D games. You need to start seriously looking into more extensive redoing of the PC soon.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I was looking at those, but then in the summary sections it mentions all these issues with smaller drives and in comparison with the other ones a lower read/write speed in some cases. I'm obviously assuming the higher acros the board the better, but I've also heard some stories regarding the stability of the higher speed drives.

~Daz

Edit to avoid double post:

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Which brings me to another point. Few years old without much upgrades is getting really ancient for any modern 3D games. You need to start seriously looking into more extensive redoing of the PC soon.
    It was built completely top of everything when I did it, and in terms of capability it's still running games (read released in the last few months) at ultra with no slowdown or other issues. I know a complete overhaul would be awesome, but I can't really afford that right now, and I figured this would be the better option. Also if I did upgrade the rest later at least this should be compatible with whatever I get?
    Last edited by mmoc0de49affa5; 2011-08-22 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazola View Post
    I was looking at those, but then in the summary sections it mentions all these issues with smaller drives and in comparison with the other ones a lower read/write speed in some cases. I'm obviously assuming the higher acros the board the better, but I've also heard some stories regarding the stability of the higher speed drives.
    To summarize the problems you're reading:

All this year's models with SATA3 connection had/are having reliability issues that come from rushed software design. Flashing the software on the discs will fix most of the problems. Because your computer is so old it will not support SATA3 anyway, so you could just as well buy last year's SATA2 model. Something with Sandforce SF1200 chip will avoid this year's reliability issues altogether.

OCZ in particular is a manufacturer that has very high mechanical failure rate because they skimp on quality control and make it customers' problem and just RMA everything that ships defective. This is not a problem of only SATA3 discs but everything in their product catalog.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

As the above has said for storage, Can't recommend the WD caviar line of drives enough... Great value and reliable track record to match..

For your SSD's though i suggest you see what you can get your hands on from suppliers (Local or online if you wish) and come back and do a bit of research, Check to see what the reliability of them has been like from those using and potential issues you may come across.. at the end of the day though SSD technology is still in it's early stages and the way the manufacturers work at the moment doesn't help as pointed out by above also... If anything the failure rate on these drives has increased with the newer series to hit markets and it's still a risk to invest even with the awesome speeds your rewarded with (Especially on a part work PC)..

I will say though, OCZ I've heard nothing but negative things for the most part.. Stay away .
    Last edited by Klawz; 2011-08-22 at 09:16 AM.

Deleted
    Would it be worth getting a SATA 3 PCI-E card to use the newer HDD's/SSD's or not? I've seen one going for about £30 on OcUK but no idea if it'd be a good idea or not!

~Daz

Quote Originally Posted by Dazola View Post
    Would it be worth getting a SATA 3 PCI-E card to use the newer HDD's/SSD's or not? I've seen one going for about £30 on OcUK but no idea if it'd be a good idea or not!
    No, the speed difference is mostly a placebo effect.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah
    No, the speed difference is mostly a placebo effect.
    What do you mean by this? From what I can see the jump between equal capacity SSD's in SATA II and SATA 3 is quite a lot, nearly doubled in some cases?
    Sorry if it's obvious, I know my way around a computer, just not the intricacies of each part in detail

~Daz