10+ Year Old Account

Putting together a Narwhal - Changed a Few Things?

Hey there guys, I'm putting together a Narwhal build from this month but I'm changing around a few pieces and wondering how much it is actually going to effect the performance I could be getting if I changed some of the Specs?

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K Processor LGA1155 - 3.3GHz
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 4x DDR3 2133 - Changed MOBO for Reduced Price (~$50 Change)
    RAM: G Skill 8G (2x4G) DDR3 1333MHz PC3 - 10666 CL9 (8GBXL)
    GFX Card: Sapphire HD6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE HDMI DP
    PSU: Corsair HX-650 ATX PSU 120mm Fan
    Case: Coolermaster Storm Scout Gaming Black Case With Red LEDS (No PSU) - Change of Case (HAF912 is Ugly IMHO)
    HDD: WD 500GB.

I'm not running an SSD due to my lack of money at the moment, but I still need to get a new PC. How much is not running an SSD with the build actually going to effect the performance of my computer? I've never had an SSD so I guess I wouldn't really know but yeah.

Thanks for the input guys,
    Sun.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll be fine with those changes. SSDs only cut down on load times, which is nice, but doesn't affect your fps.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    You'll be fine with those changes. SSDs only cut down on load times, which is nice, but doesn't affect your fps.
    This. I don't recommend SSDs to any of my friends until they are at a $1400+ build range. There is just more than can be done performance wise. I'd rather have higher, more stable FPS than a quicker boot and wow load time.

You'll be fine without an SSD. Once you go SSD, you hate HDD. If you've never had SSD, you won't feel a difference by still not having one.

if you have extra money id get a aftermarket cpu cooler(something like a Hyper 212 plus) and get a 1TB hard drive since they're so cheap these days.