Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Need some advice for a first build

Hey, i've been looking at trying to build myself a computer for a few months but only just built up the courage (and the money) to actually have a go at it. I was wondering if you could take a look at the build i've put together and see what you think.

It's mainly inspired by the "Narwhal" build that Chaud has put together on the front page with a few alterations and i just want to make sure that everything will be compatible and if theres any changes i can make to improve without spending too much more.

With the build i'm aiming to be able to run the majority of games on pretty high settings without seeing any freezes, do you think that would be possible with my budget and what i've chosen? (it comes to just over £700 and i can't really afford more than an extra £50 on top and even then i would prefer not to if this build was ok).

Case - Coolermaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Chassis

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev. 1.0) - Motherboard - ATX - LGA1155 Socket - Z68 - USB 3.0 - Gigabit Ethernet - onboard graphics (CPU required) - HD Audio (8-channel)

CPU - Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)

HDD - Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive

Graphics - Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2

RAM - G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X for Intel Sandybridge Platforms DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit

PSU - Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS/2, Power Supply, UK Version (CMPSU-650TXUK)

DVD - LiteOn IHAS624-32 24x DVD-RW SATA LS LT Retail BLK

I found the parts on amazon and will probably be looking to buy from there too but if theres another site that would be better to use then i'd be willing to take a look (i live in the UK).

Thanks for taking your time to have a look and i appreciate any feedback you can give me.
    Last edited by mmoc891e98d572; 2011-08-23 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Removed the links and put in names of the parts to make it a little easier.

Deleted
    Type out the specs instead of half-made links. It makes it 100 times easier to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Fledingale View Post
    Hey, i've been looking at trying to build myself a computer for a few months but only just built up the courage (and the money) to actually have a go at it. I was wondering if you could take a look at the build i've put together and see what you think.
    Should be fine. Can shave off some money by switching the HDD to Samsung Spinpoint F3 instead of the WD Caviar Black.

Check out this "where to buy" sticky for few more sites you can poke. The first two listed in UK locations are pretty popular for DIY builders
    -> http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/912692?p=11640486
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Ok thanks, removed the links on the original post and put in the part names.

Your build for that price is ok. You took a 2500k, i assume you will be overclocking? Also, take a samsung HD as someone already said above. Not only for the price but for the quality. WD aint bad but Samsung is clearly better at current day.
    It's like we are all Red Jelly Beans in a Jar full of various colors. Every now and then they reach in and get a Red Jelly Bean.
    We know we are in there, we can see the color, we just can't do anything to speed up our being taken out of the jar -- Jelly Beans can't speak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other than the HDD switch to save a few bucks, you could probably go for a cheaper case, but if you like the HAF 922, there is nothing wrong with sticking with it.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Thanks vesseblah, i'll take a look around on those sites, not sure how i missed that sticky. The HDD switch seems reasonable, both have pretty solid reviews with the samsung being around 1/2 the price so will definately go for that.

Get a cheaper case, like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Three-...4104548&sr=1-1
    And samsung spinpoint f3 to save some money.
    Put the money you saved into a better gpu, at least a 6870, preferably a 6950.

Also make sure you actually need a dvd drive... I haven't used the one in my computer... ever. If you have an old computer somewhere you could just salvage the one from there.
    If you plan on overclocking right away you'll need an aftermarket cooler... the coolermaster hyper212+ is a good option, should get you to 4.5ghz or so.
    Last edited by taekvideo; 2011-08-23 at 01:07 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As others have stated save some cash on the HDD and buy an after market cpu cooler, the intel stock ones are terrible especially if you plan to OC.

I'd suggest upping the PSU to a 750W but depends on the price difference, 650W is enough but could be lacking in the near future. I know very little about ATI GPU's but i'd suggest an factory OC'd GTX570 if the prices are similar.

Also at that budget you won't be running every game at full settings without issues but running games on medium will be fine.

Deleted
    I wasn't planning on overclocking in the immediate future but the price difference between the 2500 and the (k) version was only around £5 so i figured it would be worth it to have the option later on down the line. If it's not recommended to buy the k version if not overclocking i can always change that though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't planning on overclocking in the immediate future but the price difference between the 2500 and the (k) version was only around £5 so i figured it would be worth it to have the option later on down the line. If it's not recommended to buy the k version if not overclocking i can always change that though.
    If the difference is £5 I would get the k version anyway, since it should be a higher binned chip.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I'd suggest upping the PSU to a 750W but depends on the price difference, 650W is enough but could be lacking in the near future. I know very little about ATI GPU's but i'd suggest an factory OC'd GTX570 if the prices are similar.
    Yes, let's suggest a 750W PSU to a system that will need maybe 400W at absolute max load. OP, a 500-600W PSU will do you just fine unless you plan to crossfire in the future. Even a good 650W PSU is good enough for 2x 6970.

Edit: Source http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/a...eon-hd-6950/24
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-08-23 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Yes, let's suggest a 750W PSU to a system that will need maybe 400W at absolute max load. OP, a 500-600W PSU will do you just fine unless you plan to crossfire in the future.
    Notice how I said " lacking in the near future" and mentioned 650 was fine. <snip>

Mod Warning: Watch the language!
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-08-23 at 02:14 PM.

Deleted
    Would i need to buy an aftermarket cooler if i'm not planning to overclock or should the one that comes with the CPU be ok?

Deleted
    Notice how I said " lacking in the near future" and mentioned 650 was fine. Read the post before you act like a dick.
    What near future? It's not like the computer will start pulling more power in a few years. And adding another HDD or a SSD or even 2 Blu-Ray drives won't come close to justifying a 750W PSU. Unless the OP plan to crossfire, that is major overkill. Even your suggested 650W is too much as it would be enough for TWO 6970s.

And for reference, you said this:
    "I'd suggest upping the PSU to a 750W"

Get your information clear before you post, and don't call me a dick just because I have the decency to correct the information you pull out of your arse.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-08-23 at 01:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Notice how I said " lacking in the near future" and mentioned 650 was fine. Read the post before you act like a dick.
    Lacking what, why? The OP clearly stated that he's tight on cash, and would like to save money wherever possible. Instead, you suggested adding to something that is already overkill.

You also suggested a gpu that is about twice the price of what the OP is looking at.. If you're going to post bad advice, you're going to get discredited here.

Deleted
    Would i need to buy an aftermarket cooler if i'm not planning to overclock or should the one that comes with the CPU be ok?
    I would recommend a aftermarket cooler if you wan't to overclock. A Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is to recommend as it's cheap and performs very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Lacking what, why? The OP clearly stated that he's tight on cash, and would like to save money wherever possible. Instead, you suggested adding to something that is already overkill.

You also suggested a gpu that is about twice the price of what the OP is looking at.. If you're going to post bad advice, you're going to get discredited here.
    Like I said, i'm no expert with ATI cards, after looking at prices I must've been thinking of a 69xx card.

---------- Post added 2011-08-23 at 02:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    What near future? It's not like the computer will start pulling more power in a few years. And adding another HDD or a SSD or even 2 Blu-Ray drives won't come close to justifying a 750W PSU. Unless the OP plan to crossfire, that is major overkill. Even your suggested 650W is too much as it would be enough for TWO 6970s.

And for reference, you said this:
    "I'd suggest upping the PSU to a 750W"

Get your information clear before you post, and don't call me a dick just because I have the decency to correct the information you pull out of your arse.
    It's a lot cheaper to spend a little extra now then buy a new PSU in a few months if upgrades are needed, I didn't expand my point very well, I apoligise.

You can start with the cooler that comes along with the CPU, there will be no problems with it. You can ever do light overclocking with it. If you want to push the overclocking at later day you can easily add the aftermarket cooler later and replace the original heatsink. The case you were looking at (HAF922) has hole in the back for easy CPU heatsink swapping too so it's gonna be pretty easy if/when you decide to do it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't expand my point very well, I apoligise.
    Yay, you're a sensible guy after all. Welcome to the computer forums