Laptop RAM Upgrade

So, i recently bought a laptop with only 2gb of ram. I'm looking to put in a 4gb stick in the second port, and i need a 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM. How important is speed? So, for example, an Axiom 4g 204 DDR3 -1333mhz, while the current stick in it is only DDR3 - 1066. Would that one stick upgrade be enough? or is it worth it to just buy 2 4gb sticks and do a 6gb upgrade?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Make sure you double check the technical support for your laptop model. I've found some laptop manufacturers are very sticky as to the speeds that will work. Case in point was putting 4GB of DDR3 1333Mhz into a system that only had 2GB DDR3 1066Mhz prior, the 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz wouldn't work in the laptop. Turned out the board didn't support the speed.

Just a heads up more than anything. Also as a preference I try to use the same speed / same stick of identical RAM when possible to eliminate any possible issues.

For most gaming applications 4GB of memory is plenty however if the budget permits an upgrade to 8GB is nice for that added future proofing. It also just depends on how inclined to multitasking while gaming you are.