Deleted

Transition ads on Ragnaros

Can we do the '2nd' one reliably as mages? I was usually doing the 3rd or 4th and it can be downed relatively easily with a couple of arcane blasts but the 2nd is very risky.

Can we at least use frost nova?

I tried ring of frost and it did nothing.

And slow didn't really do much in the beginning. Those things slow easier with damage.

Deleted
    Cone of Cold?

I'm assuming you mean the Sons of Flame.

What I do on them on my mage is that I'll build up a 4 stack AB on Raggy before the phase starts, then PoM AB the closest Son, after that I'll go thru every one of them, going outwards from the Hammer, until I've hit them all with 1 4 stack AB. That tends to slow them all down considerably.

You cannot use anything that immobilizes them. Cone of Cold works, frost nova/ring of frost will not work. doing two is risky, on ten man you'd have a hunter do two as they have the best burst realistically for this situation. I use frost bolt occasionally if the situation permits it.

Well you didn't say 10 or 25 but i'm going to asume 10 man since it sounds like you take it alone. As an arcane mage you should be fine taking the 2nd closest add, should also be fine taking the closest add on the side with 6 adds if the hammer lands on either far side. When the hammer is in the middle our arcane mage sometimes takes the closest add on one side but not all by himself, he and the hunter on add #2 will take #1 to sub 50% together and then both switch to #2 together.

When it comes to the side with 2 adds when the hammer falls either left or right i don't know, we usually have melee on those adds. But i can imagine you can't take the closest add on the side with 2 adds without an outside stun. Not sure about the 2nd add on that side, might be posible but like i said no experience with that in our raid.

The adds can not be rooted or slowed, the only things that work are stuns and deathgrips. Those shouldn't really be needed though, you just need to burn the add as they slow down the lower hp they get (at the slowest at 50%). If you're strugling you could decide to save some dps cd's and/or trinkets to help burn down the add faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlox View Post
    I'm assuming you mean the Sons of Flame.

What I do on them on my mage is that I'll build up a 4 stack AB on Raggy before the phase starts, then PoM AB the closest Son, after that I'll go thru every one of them, going outwards from the Hammer, until I've hit them all with 1 4 stack AB. That tends to slow them all down considerably.
    This! I do the same, build up 4 stacks, use POM and tab blast 1 at a time. A crit will instantly get them below 50% and they are no longer a problem.

Deleted
    You can spec into Frost and Deep Freeze him
    Stunned for 5 sec, with 100% crit chance on him.

Frost allows a great mobility too if you're on trap duty.

While it sure is possible to take one of the closer adds as a mage (particularily in 10 man where you have them below 50% and thus slowed in 2-3 hits), it s usually a better idea to have a class capable of stunning the enemy to take the closer ones.

Should you not have enough stun-able classes (if you're horde, remember that all Tauren can stun, even if they're healers) and you would absolutely be forced to take one of these, then do forget about CoC. Not only is the effect minor as long as they're above 50%, your AB will also apply Slow to them if you have the talent (and you should).

On 10 man an Arcane mage can easily solo the ones closest to hammer with keeping stacks at 4 and POM'ing it. 2 casts = yeah. You can always use Mana Shield and IA knockback on them via the hammer if it's too close after you slow it.

On 25 we have an Unholy DK and myself duo the #2 position (closest add always to the right, relative to the hammer) without an issue every time. We also have a Ret Paladin and an Arcane Mage duo the #1 position (closest add always to the left, relative to the hammer). With some planning and non-fail AB stacking pre-rag despawn you can easily do it, however screwing it up and losing your stacks will almost gurantee with the duo strat (or solo strat on 10 man) that you'll likely lose the battle and mob will get to hammer without backup, unless you win the crit lottery and crit 0AB, 1AB, 2AB, and POM your 3AB.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

Deleted
    I pop all cooldowns and do an entire side of 4 adds. (10 man) with the help of a prot paladin stunning.

EDIT: As arcane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aic View Post
    Cone of Cold?
    Cone of cold is hardly an option since you waste a global cooldown on an attack that does very little damage and the slow is negligible before the add is below 50% health (if it even is applied, had some discussions in my guild if they can be slowed at all other than their built in slow below 50% health).

As someone above mentioned, if you POM AB the one closest, by the time you cast a 2nd AB it's below 50%. I do 3-4 of them with the help of our holy Paladin and stun galore. This is for 10man.

This also gives a lot of time to the rest of the raid to do scions in the 2nd intermission which is also very good.

What I do is keep ABx4 up until Rags disappears, Presence of mind, and spam AB until half health, then, depending on its distance, its either continue spam or AM to keep mana up as much as possible.

If raid dps is good, try to ABx3 AM on the big adds to get mana back for P3, where you will burn phase with blust.

When the hammer hits thr left or.right side I'm always on the second one with no problems. Cast AB then PoM+AB then I cast one more AB followed by arc barrage and it always works