Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dragon Age 2 worth it for 11 bucks?

So I saw this on D2D and I thought it might be a good pick up. I had some fun with the demo. However, I see a ton of people not liking it which kinda turns me off alittle bit. However I notice alot of the hate is due to the fact that it isn't like the 1st one, that it was a step down from the first one. I am not 100% concerned about that, but more of just as its own, is it a fun game to own and have? I mean I enjoyed ME 2 which this game is compared to. The biggest turn off it seems is you don't really go outside the city gates and visit other places, however, I can be wrong on that since I never played the game lol. Anyways is it worth it? The story and gameplay (despite it being dumbed down from the original) good?

Deleted
    For 11 bucks it is a good game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    So I saw this on D2D and I thought it might be a good pick up. I had some fun with the demo. However, I see a ton of people not liking it which kinda turns me off alittle bit. However I notice alot of the hate is due to the fact that it isn't like the 1st one, that it was a step down from the first one. I am not 100% concerned about that, but more of just as its own, is it a fun game to own and have? I mean I enjoyed ME 2 which this game is compared to. The biggest turn off it seems is you don't really go outside the city gates and visit other places, however, I can be wrong on that since I never played the game lol. Anyways is it worth it? The story and gameplay (despite it being dumbed down from the original) good?
    Yeah, $11 is one trip through a fast food drive through give or take. I would think most people wouldn't miss that much money even if you don't like it.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2011-08-28 at 04:08 PM.

I have said this many many times. As a stand alone game DA2 is good. As a Bioware game, he's mediocre.

Only 11 bucks... go for it, is another game for your collection. Wish I had bought this game for 11 bucks...

10+ Year Old Account
    For $11, sure. Anything more than that, hell no. They totally castrated DA when they made that game.

I paid full price for it and liked the game, so yes, I would say $11.00 is a good deal. It is true you don't spend too much time outside the city and the immediate area, but I liked the style of the game. For the most part the story is good, but the end story seems a bit off kilter. It's almost like they were ending the story when they remembered they forgot to work in a key plot item from before and threw it in at the last minute. It's kinda like, "hey, you remember that artifact you found way back in the first part of the game? HERE IT IS! Kill it."

You should add another $4 to that $11 and pick up Bastion on Steam. That's a game that's worth giving some money to!
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

I got Dragon Age 2 for like $50 and I can tell you this, it's not worth that much money so yeah $11 seems around the right price
    "And if my heart should stop, keep me alive for a minute, I want to see if a curtain drops"

~La Dispute

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I played (@ 15 hours or so) before I got bored of it, it was a decent story and pretty good gameplay. The biggest complaint I had with the game was the loading. The game seemed to have to load ever 30 seconds or so. Whenever you change zones to complete a quest, load... midpoint in a zone? load... talk to this guy, go to a new zone, load... that seemed to happen a lot and caused me to not enjoy the game as much. However the person I borrowed it from said it is great if you install the game on your system (xbox 360) as the load times get decreased greatly doing so.
    Konviction - Execute - Smolderthorn

I would honestly say no. I got negative enjoyment from that game. I felt like I got trolled and/or had my time wasted. I guess if you have zero expectations for the quality of the game, it may make you laugh at certain points, and its kind of fun near the start of the game. For me, I just couldn't admit to myself that I hated the game until after the first chapter. I just kept telling myself, "it's alright now, it's going to get even better later." The exact opposite happened, and I was genuinely angry at the game after I finished the first chapter. I won't go into details, but I felt like I had no choices or control over the story at all. As a Bioware game, it felt like a complete and total failure.

Ive played through it something like four times. Its not DA:O and thats where most complaints come from. They actually did make some improvements to the core game from DA:O but it was rushed through the door to bail out EA from a couple games that didnt sell well and it shows in the constantly reused art assets. Dont go in expecting DA:O and you will have a blast with the game if you enjoy fun action oriented RPG's.

For 11$ its a good value.

You have to take it for what it is. Nothing more or less. Its not meant to be a gigantic epic tale like DA;O its meant to be a isolated story about a single character and it does that well. Dont kid yourself believing the people that says it doesnt. Rushed doesnt mean bad it just means corners were cut and its apparent but serioulsy there are very few games that dont do that to some extent.
    Last edited by Munk; 2011-08-28 at 03:15 AM.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a good buy for $11. If doesn't deserve $60, but for $11 its a good deal. The game isn't broken, just not worth the full price.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually really loved the game. The characters were so amazingly well done, along with the voice acting. Combat was okay, the same re-used places get a little tiring after a while but all in all the story was fantastic.

Also, the DLC called "Legacy" was actually really, really good. I enjoyed it more than the full game.

DA2 to me was a major disappointment coming from DA1 and previous BG games, but it was good in it's own right and for $11 I'd say it's worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short answer? Yes.
    Long answer? You're damned right it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't bad per se, just, short. It didn't have the same length to it as the original.

I bought this game 2 weeks ago for 30 bucks and now they have a deal. At least it's on D2D which has a;ways been a pain to download and install games, specially DLCs.

15+ Year Old Account
    People whine so much about DAII

It's a good game. Is it Origins? Hell no. Same Universe, different gameplay. It's still fun and definitely worth atleast one play through.

I mean my only issue is the lack of healing abilities. You get 1 heal unless you use Anders, who's an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    People whine so much about DAII

It's a good game. Is it Origins? Hell no. Same Universe, different gameplay. It's still fun and definitely worth atleast one play through.

I mean my only issue is the lack of healing abilities. You get 1 heal unless you use Anders, who's an idiot.
    Ouch. I was never a fan of limiting which abilities your party can get in games. I still think the license system from FF12 was a spectacular way to go about customizing your characters.

As a full-price retail game, it's horrendously bad. For $11? Good value, I'd say go ahead and get it.
    Those who search for meaning in something will always find it - even if it's not there. Apophenia and pareidolia, gentlemen.