Thread: ComTIA A+!

Deleted

ComTIA A+!

Hey guys, I have my CompTIA A+ 220-701 exam tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone on here has done it / has any advice to give for the exam.

I have done a lot of revision on practice exams hitting around 90%.

Make sure you know the troubleshooting methodology well.

I took/passed it in November.
    -Be sure to be very knowledgeable of printers, especially laser printers.
    -Know the differences for the default user documents path for both XP and Vista/W7 (XP is under "Documents and Settings" and W7 is just "Users", etc)
    -Take both tests on the same day.
    -Try to memorize all your network ports.

These are just a few I remember seeing most prevalent.
    Good luck.

I've not took the test so cannot provide any valuable advice other than what Neressa said.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkamo View Post
    I took/passed it in November.
    -Be sure to be very knowledgeable of printers, especially laser printers.
    -Know the differences for the default user documents path for both XP and Vista/W7 (XP is under "Documents and Settings" and W7 is just "Users", etc)
    -Take both tests on the same day.
    -Try to memorize all your network ports.

These are just a few I remember seeing most prevalent.
    Good luck.
    Good stuff, but I have to disagree with taking both tests on the same day. If the OP is like me, they're dead broke and can't afford both tests D: Too broke even for a voucher! /crai

I hope to take mine soon!

I disagree with waiting between both exams. I have my A+, Net+, Sec+, and CEH. I have plenty of experience with the basic exams. For A+, take both exams on the same day, and I hope you have some on the job time, cause the 2nd exam can have some depot repair level questions.

The only other advice I have for this type of test taking is, your first answer is probably the right one. Don't change it unless you truly believe you are wrong. I failed my CEH the first time for thinking my answers were wrong when they weren't.

If for some reason you don't pass, find someone with a pass for sure that is current and study that before you take it again. Also, find a mini bootcamp to take to help prepare you if needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't be harder than CCNA/CCNP :P
    Study hard, don't study the night before the exam (have a long sleep), etc etc
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I took it a few years back, before they took away the lifetime certification. I was told to allot 2 hours per test, 90 minutes for the test itself and 30 for a break. So 10 AM and Noon. Go in, finish the first test in 15 minutes, ask if I can do the second. Do that in 15 minutes. Passing both, no issue. I didn't study either. If you're like I am when it comes to learning and such, you usually don't have to study.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Take both same day as others suggested. If you're getting 90% on the practice tests (assuming they're from the study books), you shouldn't have any issues at all. I was barely hitting 80 somethings on the practice tests, and ended up with about a 93% after 45 minutes of testing.

It isn't "easy" if you know nothing about computers, but if you read the materials and have some experience it shouldn't be that bad. Don't go in lightly, just take your time.

Deleted
    Thanks everyone for posting, I passed my Exam! Achieved 765 / 900 meaning I got 85%.

10+ Year Old Account
    GRATZ! Stick certificate on forehead and dance nude in living room. Take pics.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Random question semi-related since I'm sitting in a Network+ class right now.

How often are the cert tests offered? Can I sign up and take one on any given weekend, or do they only happen at a certain time of the year? Also curious about CCNA tests since I'm enrolled in those too.
    Valore - 85 Paladin - Bonechewer
    Spirik - 85 Shaman - Bonechewer

Pretty sure you can go do them almost any weekday and possibly weekends. There's usually a few places around that let you take them in a decent sized city. Just be prepared to go take it again, what, every 3 years was it?
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Simply put, A+ is a joke. Its easy, always will be.

I did mine in november, just remember the simple stuff and you'll do fine.

Only annoying test I took was my Microsoft 685. (Passed still.)

Well... you'd be surprised to see how many people want to get into the field just for the money. Or that's their thought anyhow. You see these people cram to get a Cert, and forget it all the next day. I'm just glad my aunt paid for mine, and it was done when the Cert was lifetime.

Experience Helps

I passed both parts of the A+ today with scores of 836 and 840. While some questions are easy, the practical application questions on the exam are significantly more difficult. A computer newbie with little to no work experience who has simply memorized the facts still might have trouble with a lot of questions. Personally, I have over four years of remote and on-site support experience, have built two PC's, and upgraded laptops. I've worked with PCs since Windows 98, and so am perhaps a little bit older than most A+ test-takers.
    Simply put, my practical experience has paid off, because some of the questions recalled to mind actual trouble-shooting experiences that helped me quickly determine the correct answer.

Glen

Deleted
    Please don't bump old posts.