Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

should scotland become an independent country?

So i've heard this a lot, that Scotland should leave the union and become a fully independent country, it is also the main aim of the snp i believe, and today the election results were announced for the scottish parliament and the snp now hold a majority, some news corrsepondants have said that this could put them on course for a referendum on independence.
    personally i think that scotland should become an independent country, not because i'm scottish (i'm actually English), but because i feel that scotland is a burden on this country, we give them so much money so they can have free prescriptions and no university fees, while both of these have risen in England. i think without the money from westminster, the scots wouldn't be able to maintain their current level of living and would realise their mistake and want to rejoin the u.k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    personally i think that scotland should become an independent country, not because i'm scottish (i'm actually English), but because i feel that scotland is a burden on this country, we give them so much money so they can have free prescriptions and no university fees, while both of these have risen in England.
    Lol silly boy.

Though I dont think we should be independant, its just silly that SNP got much more seats than the green party.

Scotland does not have the economy to be able to function as an independant country.

I don't think they should, the UK would not be the same without them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tinkertown, and it's driving all the gnomes crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Forum Troll View Post
    Scotland does not have the economy to be able to function as an independant country.
    Sadly you are correct. I would like to see Scotland independent, they have been under the heel of the british crown for way too long. While we are at it, dissolve the commonwealth too. As a Canadian, I refuse to bow to the british monarch and it is time the whole mess went away.
    "Traveling allows you to visit new towns and meet new people." - Genghis Khan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Forum Troll View Post
    We could function, alot of bigger countries function with less, wouldnt be great though yeah. But it is a shame though, too many idiots around.

Deleted
    The great British empire
    It will not be easy to get out of its clutches, but its doable.

10+ Year Old Account
    My parents work in some of the big london banks, my dad namely in european invenstment at one of the more prolific ones, if anyone would know stuff about european countries economically, it's him. Technically, under todays classification, Scotland and Wales can be classed as "Emerging Economies" alongside places like Brazil and other large-but-not-very-wealthy-countries. Until you break that and it's clear that you can stand on your own 2 feet then by all means, shoo - but until then, for your benefit more than ours, stay, so we don't get another ireland/portugal bail out.

Once that's sorted, go for it, because that way there are a few english laws concerning murdering scotsmen on your property that would have to be repealed. It's currently legal to shoot a scotsman with a longbow between dawn and dusk in York, providing it's not sunday. Same goes for welshmen in Chester.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    how about give back that illegal state you stole, northern ireland, so we can join our republic that we belong too...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Westoad View Post
    how about give back that illegal state you stole, northern ireland, so we can join our republic that we belong too...
    Stop attempting to blow us up when we've been relatively peaceful in dealing with you. We ask to reason, and you set up massive bombs with the intent to kill. Who's worse now? The reasoner or the bomber? ROI doesn't have any money to begin with, I'm sure all they want now is MORE people to look after and MORE land to tend to.

You've taken into account not a single political, economical or historical fact in this piece of IRA propaganda (and yes I'm from an irish family) so don't talk from your arsehole about something that would make the whole situation worse than it already is.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

I couldn't imagine being a subject of a royal crown in the year 2011.

Deleted
    Although I don't know a lot about the political relationships between Scotland and the rest of Great Britain, if they have the means to fend for themselves then I don't see why they couldn't become an independent country.
    It would probably take a lot of preparation to actually do this, though...

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe you should read a book.

Scotland doesn't have the economy to support the programs it has now wthout westminster money (free prescriptions, free universities etc).

I highly doubt Alex Salmon will rush into an independance referendum going by his speech. The interesting point will come 4-5 years into the future to see if he holds one at all considering thats the key policy of the SNP and it could really damage him if he either doesn't or if it falls flat on it's face like the AV system is heading.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2011-05-06 at 06:44 PM.

I would refer Jolly Ole' to the case of they who make their beds needing to now lie in them. You fought for it, it's yours now. No one made you take it.

Deleted
    I would if I could, honestly I would.

The fact that Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom and not the Republic of Ireland is fucking retarded.

On topic: No lol, it'd be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay poorer than it is at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by halfbee View Post
    Sadly you are correct. I would like to see Scotland independent, they have been under the heel of the british crown for way too long. While we are at it, dissolve the commonwealth too. As a Canadian, I refuse to bow to the british monarch and it is time the whole mess went away.
    As a Canadian i remember the referendum when Quebec wanted to become and independent country... Most Canadians hate those stuck up frenchies, but to Canada as a whole, it would be a bad move because we would lose a connection from coast to coast. Also Quebec would not be stable economically.

Scotland should not cecede mainly for the fact that it would hurt them more than it would hurt the rest of UK. Even if they wanted to be a sovereign nation, they would still be terribly dependant on their neighbor, but this time they would have to pay tariffs on their imports. Ergo driving up the cost of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    personally i think that scotland should become an independent country, not because i'm scottish (i'm actually English), but because i feel that scotland is a burden on this country, we give them so much money so they can have free prescriptions and no university fees, while both of these have risen in England. i think without the money from westminster, the scots wouldn't be able to maintain their current level of living and would realise their mistake and want to rejoin the u.k.
    So you want them to suffer? That's kind of messed up dude.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Stop attempting to blow us up when we've been relatively peaceful in dealing with you. We ask to reason, and you set up massive bombs with the intent to kill. Who's worse now? The reasoner or the bomber? ROI doesn't have any money to begin with, I'm sure all they want now is MORE people to look after and MORE land to tend to.

You've taken into account not a single political, economical or historical fact in this piece of IRA propaganda (and yes I'm from an irish family) so don't talk from your arsehole about something that would make the whole situation worse than it already is.
    Relatively peaceful? You don't know a lot about English/Irish history do you? Being from an Irish family doesn't make you educated on the troubles.

Deleted
    as an englishman i say yes & hurry up about it