Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Shadow]-Ragnaros 10 man dps issues

Hello!

Yesterday while fighting Ragnaros, I discovered that our shadow priest is pulling only 15 k dps overall on that fight -. In first phase he is doing fine, over 20 k, but since P2 he is constantly loosing dps until the end of fight. He says that there is lot of movement and because of that he looses dps. I honestly don't know much about shadow priest, but it's a dot class, so is movement on raggy really that big dps loss for him?

Here is his armory, he misses some gems, but those items dropped yesterday at night, so do not say he has low dps cos he doesnt have gems: -) http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Rogerr/simple

Could any shadow priest be so kind and try to explain how he moves in each phase and if there are some gimmicks to increase your dps?

Thank you very much for constructive feedback.

Other than when kiting a meteor I don't recall much movement in the Ragnaros fight. Yes there are a few seconds here and there where you're moving into position for the Molten Elementals, or when avoiding Lava Waves and Magma Traps, but you can spam DP during that movement which is as good if not better than MF anyway. Do you have any logs?
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

Unfortunatelly I have no logs :-/

Deleted
    Logs would be helpfull.

Depending on your strat you move a lot in p2 or you just move a bit, but your dps doesn't drop 5k in p2. If anything it should go up. There's adds to dps. If he keeps up empowered shadow + Mind Sear will get him a lot of dps on the small adds.
    He should be nuking the Sons with Mind Spike if he isn't to get as much damage in there.
    I hope he's also multidotting Raggy + the 2 big adds when they are up.

In the last phase, if he gets a meteor he should be kiting it to a safe place to knock it back so he can resume dps (if you're 3 healing, meteors are best on healers, they don't have a lot to do in that phase)

Is he getting DI to get 30% haste?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    Unfortunatelly I have no logs :-/
    Can you explain your strat then, or at least what the spriest is expected to do at each stage?

We move alot in p2 as we handle the adds, the only thing that can really help your dps there is to spam Devouring Plague and use fade whenever you need to stop and refresh you shadow orb buff and/or VT and SW: P on the boss.
    Keeping fiend up on CD is very important and perhaps shadow word dearth once in a while while running to get your mana back up after all the DP spam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing is terribly wrong with his gearing so it' just his play-style that causes problems i guess.
    He should be pulling 24k+, the movement is not an excuse.

A log would be of course good but since you don't have one i'm just going to have a wild guess that he has a very bad DoT up-time,he doesn't keep ES up and definitely needs to get closer to hit cap since he can't manage to be so low.

Also, he's hitting the seccond VT tic on VT even without DI and should perhaps consentrate a bit more on the hit cap. Evne though it's not that important 14,7% hit is rather low.

Deleted
    Your friend doesn't really seem to like reforging at all. Ask him to optimize his gear. And he doesn't really have an excuse for low single target dps since he has (4) set bonus.
    Also shadow priests are fairly good on Ragnaros. It should be one of the encounters where he top DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    Hello!

Yesterday while fighting Ragnaros, I discovered that our shadow priest is pulling only 15 k dps overall on that fight -. In first phase he is doing fine, over 20 k, but since P2 he is constantly loosing dps until the end of fight. He says that there is lot of movement and because of that he looses dps. I honestly don't know much about shadow priest, but it's a dot class, so is movement on raggy really that big dps loss for him?

Here is his armory, he misses some gems, but those items dropped yesterday at night, so do not say he has low dps cos he doesnt have gems: -) http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Rogerr/simple

Could any shadow priest be so kind and try to explain how he moves in each phase and if there are some gimmicks to increase your dps?

Thank you very much for constructive feedback.
    It's sort of the opposite for me.. 15k in the first phase, I detonate traps, rising in the next phases. We haven't had a kill yet, but there you go.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8o0lc80jqce9wt7l/
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...argur/advanced

I'm hit capped, he's not. I'm a lot of haste behind him, but a few points of crit ahead. Spell power and intel values are similar. I don't have 4p bonus, which is kind of a huge deal, so take your pick.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Offtopic: First of all. OMFG he got the T12 shoulders. They never dropped on one of our 8 kills on domo yet :/

@ Topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Your friend doesn't really seem to like reforging at all. Ask him to optimize his gear. And he doesn't really have an excuse for low single target dps since he has (4) set bonus.
    Also shadow priests are fairly good on Ragnaros. It should be one of the encounters where he top DPS.
    Mainly this. The movement shouldnt push him behind the 20k border with this gear. Even tho MF is the highest dmg source on single traget (atleast it was on t11 content> no idea how the t12 4pc bonus is pushing MB infront) but with all dots up roughly 95% of the time > can be messed up with bad placed engulfing + smash + seeds etc, he shouldnt break under 20k.

Juts curious, why is he almost 3% under hit cap? Im at 16.97% (shadow is now my offspecc) I already missed 1 MB and 1 VT on our rag attempts and this is by far the hardest dps loss you can have on a fight.

Ye he was hitcapped but he changed head and belt tonight so he has to sort it out. Our strategy in P1 is to stand in middle, burn the boss to transition, for transition we have 1 dps for each add + 2 ranged each on 2 furthest adds from hammer.
    P2: we stand on one side, stacked up on boss, we spread after smash and run to other side after seeds are spawned.
    P3: we basically stand in middle kiting meteors from side to side.

10+ Year Old Account
    The metor is not an excuse they moving to slow he can run while spamming SW/DP and even MF or MB

Yes his hit is pretty bad, his spirit/hit sims out higher than haste. Your strat does include a lot of movement, I've only done 25 man and don't move nearly so much, but that shouldn't reduce DPS by 5k. DP spam while moving, and SWD if needing mana. Make sure he's using Mind Spike, Mind Blast and SWD on the Sons of Flame adds - for this he should really be positioned almost at the hammer, so that his movement is limited when switching between them. He should also try and ensure his ES is up for the Mind Sear on the Molten Elementals - try and get a Mind Blast + orb off on the boss before grouping up, or on the adds while they're still at ranged. In phase 3 he should spam DP and SWD while moving to edge when kiting a meteor, then at the edge continue his normal priority casting, hitting the meteor with SWD as it comes close.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoddie View Post
    hitting the meteor with SWD as it comes close.
    Hit the meteor with DP, SWD should be used on the boss which will be below 25% at some point.

Hmm yeah, lose some haste in favor for spirit/hit. Don't know why I read 2681 haste as "too low" the first time ..

Hit the meteor with DP, SWD should be used on the boss which will be below 25% at some point.
    Wouldn't having to reapply DP on Rag mean a delayed DP tick, even potentially a missed one, and using 2 GCDs to accomplish what could take 1? You might be right, just not something I'd considered.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoddie View Post
    Wouldn't having to reapply DP on Rag mean a delayed DP tick, even potentially a missed one, and using 2 GCDs to accomplish what could take 1? You might be right, just not something I'd considered.
    Hmm Nvm what I said
    I think it'll be safer if I don't post today...

Deleted
    Hi, i'm here for the same thing than the autor, we have a shadow priest in our last night Ragnaros, it was his first time, here is his armory link
    And logs ( hope it don't mind, there are in french )

Is his dps good for his stuff ? Or can he do much better ? I think his dot uptime isn't good ? I'm seeking for him since he doesn't understand english ^^
    Thank you for your help ! Always like to come here and read all of you !

Oh damn they don't let me put links in my reply :'(
    His nickname on armory is Ahoum server Ysondre EU, he was at 16k5 dps dies 2min before ending of fight, fight duration 10min44. Will try to put links latter if they let me !

Deleted
    (armory link from the player mentioned in the post above) http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ysondre/Ahoum/
    try linking with spaces in it ;-)

He has too much haste (and 0.01% hit too much) He should probably reforge some haste into mastery after checking that with simulationcraft.
    His bracers still need +50 Intellect.

He can change Psychic Horror to Inner Sanctum esp for fights like Ragnaros.

Gear wise he's pretty solid, hope he gets the 4 set bonus soon. So, likely it's also a matter of using the right spells and optimizing dps rather than gear corrections.
    Tell him to watch some videos of sp's killing Ragnaros, maybe that will help.

Deleted
    Hi Omirr ! Thank you for the link, good idea with the spaces !
    worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-r1dxa92qds48486n/details/13/?s=1722&e=2366
    I'm telling him to do that ! I'm with him on skype and translaste him x)
    For his bracers yep he loot them and the shoulders last night !