Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Razers answer to PC gaming

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/26/d...ing-greatness/

This to be honest, is a fail from Razer. Specs are that of a high end Dell laptop which costs half the price. This won't change PC gaming like they said. The "features they added, to be just seem like an annoyance rather then been usable. If i wanted to use the right hand side of my keyboard, i would bind my numpad keys to skills, not have an extra LCD screen to keep my eye on.

While it does look nice, and quiet thin, i really dont think id spend another 1000 USD on it over a Dell laptop.

Thoughts?

Not sure yet. Have to wait and see.

Deleted
    it looks pretty, but similarly to all Razer products, totally not worth the extra money.

10+ Year Old Account
    The concept seems neat, but I just see the practicality of the right-side touchpad interface and programmable buttons. For MMOs and most FPS games, players want their stuff on the left side since the right hand is usually dedicated to mouse/trackball controls. This laptop does not interest me beyond the "neat" factor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    it looks pretty, but similarly to all Razer products, totally not worth the extra money.
    Pretty much this. I fail to see how a small LCD trackpad and a few LEDS/buttons means they can charge an extra 1000 USD+. Taking into account a hardcore gamer will probably already own a gaming keyboard/mouse, there is no reason at all to put these there. I mean every tryied playing an fps/mmorpg with a trackpad. Unplayable.

I have a Razer Naga, but only because I know of no other mouse with a similar button layout. I don't foresee myself spending that much money on a laptop though, seems pretty unnecessary.

Deleted
    If i wanted a $2800 "gaming" laptop, I'd get one of the top-spec MSI or ASUS ones, this just doesn't compare. So what, if it can show me pretty little pictures on the little LCD, I can see them clearer on a good UltraSharp in the actual game!

As with most of us computer-users, I touch type (or whatever it's called, muscle memory and the like), and the time I spend looking down at my keyboard is minimal. That's why the LCD wouldn't have any helpful properties for me personally, and I can imagine a large percentage of people.

Looks like a black macbook with a fancy keyboard... and a razer logo

I wouldn't pay over 1100$ for it but there's no pricetag anywhere yet or I didn't see it. You can get excellent gaming laptops for 1200$ so the razorblade pricetag would have to impress me big time.

I love my razer peripherals, but I think thats where they should have stayed...

Besides, to me, "gaming laptop" is almost an oxymoron. I would want so much crap inside my "gaming laptop" and such a large screen, and still need to use a regular keyboard/mouse, it might as well be a desktop because it will be too heavy to easily carry around, need enough extra pieces (keyboard/mouse/headset) to be a royal pain, and get crap for battery life.

Edit:
    @Synth
    Actually some of the smaller size alienware laptops are really well priced, as in you would have to look really hard to find a similarly equiped laptop for the price and still quite possibly come up short. The 13 inch screen (thats not the exact screen size, but w/e) cuts down a lot on price as does the lack of a disk drive, but I've never seen another brand that would equip a 13 inch for gaming as they are almost always at least 15 inch if they are loaded with gaming quality hard ware making the price more.
    Last edited by Sesshou; 2011-08-26 at 04:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcaptn View Post
    I wouldn't pay over 1100$ for it but there's no pricetag anywhere yet or I didn't see it. You can get excellent gaming laptops for 1200$ so the razorblade pricetag would have to impress me big time.
    "And it could all be yours for $2,799 when it debuts in Q4 of this year."

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    It's just another laptop... with an Alienware-esque price premium.
    Yeah, that is the major problem here. The cost of this thing is way out of line when compared with other systems. I get that it is thin and all and that it has a neat little side feature of the LCD, but I don't see that being worth the increase in cost.

I have no idea what the hell Razer's problem is.... they make mediocre products and sell them for astronomical prices just because they are "edgy" and say "gamer" on them. This laptop, imo, is only worth about 900bucks for 2 reasons. 1. There is not niche market for this product (i.e. it doesn't stand out from ANY competitors) and 2. It looks cheaply made. Thankfully I have the luxury of not being a transient nomad and can play form my home pc.

Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    "And it could all be yours for $2,799 when it debuts in Q4 of this year."
    loool guess I'll pass then, 2799$ for a fancy keyboard, there are laptops 2 times cheaper for almost the same performance.

Alienware is at least justifiable because of the awesome support you get, but for that much money... Irony see many people wanting to spend that on a laptop specifically for games. The desktop is still king unless they can come up with something other than a (admittedly cool looking) gimmick.

Deleted
    Pretty poor specs if you ask me.. The 550 is nothing fancy by todays standards in a notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrel View Post
    Alienware is at least justifiable because of the awesome support you get, but for that much money... Irony see many people wanting to spend that on a laptop specifically for games. The desktop is still king unless they can come up with something other than a (admittedly cool looking) gimmick.
    I would have agreed with you if this was before Dell got them... Now if I was going to pay huge amounts for a top of the line pc/laptop it wouldn't be from them. Granted I see pretty much no reason to ever buy a pre-built pc over buying parts and making it but...

I only like the Design for that price i wanne see i7 2920xm + atleast a gtx 580m

EDIT: And it could all be yours for $2,799 when it debuts in Q4 of this year.
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

I cannot believe the nerve these guys have. 'The world's first true gaming laptop'?

Likely will be flimsy, run hot, have no battery life, and poor quality control.