[prot] How does guarded by the light work?

Okay so I understand that guarded by the light only works with the pally's own WoG, and you only get the bubble if there is any overheal. My question, is say for example I get a priest bubble right after they heal me to full. I normally use WoG with 3 HP at that time to get the guarded by the light bubble.

So which absorb will happen first? Will my WoG shield take the damage first, or will the priest's bubble? If it's the priest's bubble that takes it first, I would see it as being rather worthless when you have a priest healer in the group; since bubbling is one of their main "healing" buttons. Any help on figuring this out would be great
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Amiolas/simple
    ^^^click this link to see my awesome warlock ^^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call bubble a main healing button for us. As a disc priest, I'm only aiming to bubble every ~12 seconds to proc Rapture for mana return. As holy, I never used shield unless I needed to give someone Body and Soul for the movement speed.

As for the mechanics, I don't know how it works with Pally's, but it always seems to me that Savage Defense from Druids gets absorbed before my shield does, and it throws off my Rapture timing a bit. I don't even know if that's what it is, maybe a string of dodges. I had something else to say, but I can't remember now. Meh. Hope someone can help more than I did.

Eredar US - Ceriatas - 6/7H | Sig thanks to JustintimeSS | Eredar US - Protricide - 1/8H
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentientsix View Post
    The point is, I can't think of a time that my tentacle even came anywhere close to his

Deleted
    read the tooltip,it helps

Just a quick check of logs from last week, looks like PW:S gets used up first:

Code:
    [00:58:52.984] Asari casts Power Word: Shield on Azabuki
    [00:58:53.203] Azabuki gains Power Word: Shield from Asari (Remaining: 32156)
    [00:58:54.406] Azabuki gains Guarded by the Light from Azabuki (Remaining: 28801)
    [00:58:56.875] Asari's Power Word: Shield fades from Azabuki (Remaining: 0)
    [00:58:58.000] Shannox hits Azabuki 19014 (A: 5645, B: 10568)
    [00:58:58.093] Azabuki's Guarded by the Light fades from Azabuki (Remaining: 0)
    I assume there's a block in there that was partially absorbed, but you can see the PW:S fading 1.2 seconds before GbtL. I'll keep looking for more examples.

Edit: I found another example where the same behavior is reinforced:

Code:
    [02:11:42.062] Asari casts Power Word: Shield on Azabuki
    [02:11:42.078] Azabuki gains Power Word: Shield from Asari (Remaining: 31161)
    [02:11:43.000] Voracious Hatchling hits Azabuki Absorb (16167)
    [02:11:44.296] Voracious Hatchling hits Azabuki Dodge
    [02:11:45.546] Voracious Hatchling hits Azabuki Absorb (18585)
    [02:11:46.109] Azabuki gains Guarded by the Light from Azabuki (Remaining: 29509)
    [02:11:46.500] Voracious Hatchling hits Azabuki Absorb (36962)
    [02:11:46.593] Asari's Power Word: Shield fades from Azabuki (Remaining: 0)
    [02:11:47.281] Voracious Hatchling hits Azabuki Parry
    [02:11:48.093] Voracious Hatchling hits Azabuki 16306 (A: 26532)
    [02:11:48.156] Azabuki's Guarded by the Light fades from Azabuki (Remaining: 0)
    Edit: It occurs to me that this could be because PW:S is cast before GbtL in both instances. I guess I'll keep looking. Note that even with both bubbles and GbtL, there's almost never a situation where they're not both used up. GtbL in no way devalues a Disc priest.
    Last edited by Terashi; 2011-08-31 at 10:28 PM.

Don't use Guarded by the Light. It's a way under-budget talent and not worth the points at all.
    That being said I'm pretty sure the smaller shield is absorbed first.
    Also, Savage Defense is integral, like blocking is to paladins. Guarded by the Light is paltry at best and has nowhere near the up-time of Savage Defense.

Deleted
    it "should" take the absorb with the shorted time remaining first.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobley View Post
    Don't use Guarded by the Light. It's a way under-budget talent and not worth the points at all.
    That being said I'm pretty sure the smaller shield is absorbed first.
    Also, Savage Defense is integral, like blocking is to paladins. Guarded by the Light is paltry at best and has nowhere near the up-time of Savage Defense.
    It's certainly better than Reckoning or Hallowed Ground.

And there's no point in not using WoG too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nieronoid View Post

yes on hallowed ground no on reckoning,

reckoning has a 35% uptime while wog heal talent is only up if you overheal, and once every 20 seconds for 6 seconds max. giving it an uptime of 18 seconds a minute if it doesn't actualy get eaten in one hit and assuming your 100% ovehealing.

so under Ideal conditions that talent gives you an absorb for 30% of the time.
    however self wogs are a v small heal in our health pools unless they crit.
    and wog is best used to heal damg you just took not absorb the damg your about to take which you could instead dodge/parry meaning a 100% Wasted WoG.

take rekoning instead of guarded by the light now that it doesn't make wog's give holy sheild it's a lot less useful.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nieronoid View Post

Reckoning is just one of those talents that you should be taking. Hallowed Ground should definitely be ignored.

Last edited by Dakia; 2011-09-01 at 12:03 PM.