Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any notable female paladin in lore?

I always hated that there are hardly any notable female paladins.
    Besides Lady Liadrin (who actually doesn't even have that big of background) are there other notable female paladins?
    Lady Blaumeaux (or whatever the girls name from the four horsemen is) is hardly a notable paladin. She didn't get notable until she turned evil and even then she has less background than Liadrin.

Notable Male paladins:
    Turalyon
    Uther the Lightbringer
    Arthas Menethil
    Tirion Fordring
    Bolvar Fordragon
    Alexandros Mograine (The Ashbringer)

Anyone else think that paladin lore could use some more females rather than the usual old bearded guys?

p.s. My main is a female human paladin named Vasti and I think female paladins are cooler than male paladins! (Male paladins are so cliché)
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Lady Liadrin

http://www.wowwiki.com/Lady_Liadrin

edit: okay so i missed the part where you mentioned her, but tbf the topic title was a little misleading

Deleted
    Well, Paladins are generally the heavy-weapon swinging guys, which is usually a more man-dominated area. That said, I can't honestly recall any notable female Paladins that weren't part of the Scarlet Crusade, and even those weren't very important.

The most important of those would probably be Abbendis

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Mara_Fordragon

Mara Fordragon is pressumed to be a Paladin also.
    Not that notable but she has her own statue in SW's Royal Gallery.

Even though Paladins are a fantasy class, they are still based on the archetypal plated warrior on the medievel battlefield. The only notable female that I myself can think of is perhaps Joan of Arc?

Male paladins may very well be cliché, but it seems more "real" (if that makes any sense in the context of a fantasy themed game).

Just my opinion

Besides the Belf chick...pretty much no one I can think of. Though that little belf girl from Children's Week will likely end up as a pally and end up doing something to piss off the dragons in CoT it seems. About the only other one that comes to mind is first holy cow that's a chick cow also I think?

But yeah, to be fair though pallys come off generally as more of a male organization, at least for Alliance (both Humans and Draenei are heavily male, as well as Dwarves besides the females possing as men with their beards). Horde seems a bit more diversified, if only because their 2 main "class" leaders are both female.

Deleted
    The old order of silver hand was inspired most likely from the real life historic order of the knights templar.Both orders were founded to combat a certain foe and both orders were pretty much destroyed (even though the reasons differ from the fantasy order to the real one).
    And if we look at pretty much every order from back then most knights were male.So paladins in World of Warcraft are cliché because of the source of inspiration most likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marinos View Post
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Mara_Fordragon

Mara Fordragon is pressumed to be a Paladin also.
    Not that notable but she has her own statue in SW's Royal Gallery.
    It's ironic, because Mara is a colloquialism for "penis" in the Japanese language.

Maybe she's a tranny.

I really hope Blizzard steps up the Lady Liadrin lore and adds a few more notable female paladins.
    Never heard of Mara before, but then again besides the statue she is hardly worthy of being called notable.

For the classes I can only come up with this: (female only)
    Mage - Jaina, Aegwynn, Azshara???(before naga-fication)
    Druid - Zen'tabra (troll druid)
    Warlock -
    Hunter - Sylvanas, Alleria, Vareesa, Tyrande???, Lady Vashj???(before naga-fication)
    Priest - Tyrande , Moira Thaurissan, Whitemane (Is she notable?)
    Warrior - Draka, Xena(lol)
    Rogue - Garona halforcen
    Death Knight -
    Shaman - Aggra, Geyah
    Paladin - Lady Liadrin, Brigitte Abbendis, Aponi Brightmane

Am I missing a lot or are females just neglected in WoW? O_o
    Last edited by Vasti; 2011-09-04 at 03:47 PM.
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post
    It's realistic, not sexist. WoW's history is brutal and war torn. Females are always going to play a lesser role in any harshly physical society.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Deleted
    Warlock -
    Hunter - Sylvanas, Alleria, Vareesa, Tyrande???, Lady Vashj???(before naga-fication)
    Warrior - Xena(lol)
    Rogue - Garona halforcen
    Death Knight -
    Shaman -
    Paladin - Lady Liadrin, Brigitte Abbendis
    You are missing Aggra and Thrall's grandma Geyah as Shaman.

And for that matter, Thrall's mom, Draka, who was a Warrior of the Frostwolf.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope Blizzard steps up the Lady Liadrin lore and adds a few more notable female paladins.
    Never heard of Mara before, but then again besides the statue she is hardly worthy of being called notable.

For the classes I can only come up with this: (female only)
    Warlock -
    Warrior - Xena(lol)
    Rogue - Garona halforcen
    Death Knight -
    Shaman -
    Paladin - Lady Liadrin, Brigitte Abbendis

Aponi Brightmane.

Cmon, first tauren pally! :P
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    Aponi Brightmane.

Cmon, first tauren pally! :P
    Lol, never realized that was a female.....I thought the first tauren pala was a dude xD
    Don't blame me, that tauren females look too much like males :P (Will update the list)

10+ Year Old Account
    I always hated that there are hardly any notable female paladins.
    Besides Lady Liadrin (who actually doesn't even have that big of background) are there other notable female paladins?
    Lady Blaumeaux (or whatever the girls name from the four horsemen is) is hardly a notable paladin. She didn't get notable until she turned evil and even then she has less background than Liadrin.

Notable Male paladins:
    Turalyon
    Uther the Lightbringer
    Arthas Menethil
    Tirion Fordring
    Bolvar Fordragon
    Alexandros Mograine (The Ashbringer)

Anyone else think that paladin lore could use some more females rather than the usual old bearded guys?

p.s. My main is a female human paladin named Vasti and I think female paladins are cooler than male paladins! (Male paladins are so cliché)
    Slightly OT but considering that wow lore takes inspiration from real life events and history this website is a wonderful source of info on the history of paladinhood:
    http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/cavalier/ThePaladin.html

Ofcourse these paladins didn't have holy shock or the ability to summon overweight holy bodyguards. However what is interesting the list of famous paladins in history:

Name

King Arthur: Though too involved in keeping the peace in Camelot (leading to the scheduled execution of his wife), Arthur was chosen by Merlin (who wielded divine power) to wield Excalibur, and in that right could be considered a paladin, though there is still some doubt.

Sir Lancelot: I know, he committed adultery with Guinevere, but it was in the name of true love, and courtly love is one of the most sacred things of all. He did vow to protect King Arthur, and held to that vow until he left with Guinevere.

Sir Galahad: Vowed to protect King Arthur, was unparalleled in combat, and retrieved the Holy Grail in order to please his Church. What needs to be said?

Roland: One of the 12 Peers of Charlemagne, Roland is already mentioned earlier on. Read his song if you need a reason as to why he's on this list.

Ivanhoe: Fought against insurmountable odds in order to free his true love, among other things.

Jeanne d'Arc: Fought for Church and country in order to liberate that which she held to dear. Though there is no actual reference of her following the rules of chivalry, she did end up giving her life to strengthen her cause; an act that cannot go unnoticed.

Richard I "The Lion Heart":An ardent Christian, Richard I led a crusade to reclaim the Holy Land from the Ottoman Turks. He shows them no mercy and does not hesitate to send in the Knights Templar and the Knights Hospitaler when faced by the enemy. He showed great care to his troops in the siege of Jerusalem and proved himself righteous.

Saladin: A powerful fighter and a zealous follower of Islam, Saladin tried to merge all of the cultures that he encountered into a great empire. He brought good to his people and showed great devotion to his cause. He answered only to Allah and his conscience, thus making him an ideal candidate for paladinhood.

---
    Even in this list there is only one female candidate for Paladinhood... However coming back to WOW, the trading card game has several female paladin heroes such as:

Aleyah Dawnborn (Belf Ret Paladin)
    Addisyn the Untouchable (Belf Prot Paladin)
    Auryna Lightsworn (Spacegoat Ret Paladin)
    Lellora Sunlancer (Belf Holy Paladin)
    Tharia Truthbringer (Human Holy Paladin)

There are a few more but i cba checking the deck list. Also it is a shame Blizzard has not implemented more female characters for lore

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpreston View Post
    Aleyah Dawnborn (Belf Ret Paladin)
    Addisyn the Untouchable (Belf Prot Paladin)
    Auryna Lightsworn (Spacegoat Ret Paladin)
    Lellora Sunlancer (Belf Holy Paladin)
    Tharia Truthbringer (Human Holy Paladin)

There are a few more but i cba checking the deck list. Also it is a shame Blizzard has not implemented more female characters for lore
    Those are just named female paladins....They can hardly be called notable

And yes I am aware, that paladins are based on knights and crusaders etc who themselves were mostly men. But I find it a bit too "brotherly" (to put it in nice words) that paladins have soo few great women in their ranks. Blizzards needs to let go of their initial inspiration and evolve the class on their own. Stop looking to much at the reality of things but start looking at where you can take these things (in this case, "things" refer to classes, specifically, the paladin class)

10+ Year Old Account
    Those are just named female paladins....They can hardly be called notable

And yes I am aware, that paladins are based on knights and crusaders etc who themselves were mostly men. But I find it a bit too "brotherly" (to put it in nice words) that paladins have soo few great women in their ranks. Blizzards needs to let go of their initial inspiration and evolve the class on their own. Stop looking to much at the reality of things but start looking at where you can take these things (in this case, "things" refer to classes, specifically, the paladin class)
    Agree... Personally there should be more female paladins in the game and in lore, i would especially like to see the lore of Vindicators and Blood Knights expanded a little bit post TBC, something that has sadly been relegated to the footnotes of wow history

Also your comments in your signature regarding Tirion are just plain insensitive. Give the man a break, he was building up his holy power when the LK caught him off guard.... *see what i did there* :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't blame me, that tauren females look too much like males :P (Will update the list)
    Say what now? The 2 times the size of the males doesn't give a hint?

Deleted
    Salandria told me she wants to become a Paladin when she grows up

What about Paletress? I always thought of her more as a Pally than a priest, tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    It's ironic, because Mara is a colloquialism for "penis" in the Japanese language.

Maybe she's a tranny.
    Lol'd hard xD