Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thom Yorke. Can't get enough! Solo stuff is epic quality as well.

Trent Reznor

Deleted
    Thomas Bergersen.

May i do the /thread aswell?

10+ Year Old Account
    Paul Mcartney
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
    Buddha

Deleted
    Obviously Lemmy...

Deleted
    kanye west

Jonathan Davis, hands down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Justin bieber.
    1/3 GM of Valar Morghulis Horde Torrent Mill EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Come on. It has to be either Paul McCartney or Eric Clapton. No contest.
    Clapton is way overrated.

I'm going to go with David Gilmour or maybe ... Anders Friden. (Different genres) or Chris Robertson or Serj Tankian.

It's all subjective.
    Last edited by mmocf3b228c4c6; 2011-09-07 at 02:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Brian May has to be pretty high up there. Phenomenal and very creative guitar player and performer and an exceptional songwriter.
    Oh, I'm with you on that one. I'm a huge Queen fan (Innuendo playing in the background as I write this post, coincidence?), and while I may not concider him as the greatest musician, he is, to say the least, the king of delay.

Billy Joel, because he's the most beautiful and talented creature on the planet <3

I'm going simply by opinion on this one, but I love the piano, and the man is a wizard with it, while still being able to play other instruments, making great music, and having a great singing voice, even if he's lost some octaves over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligulove View Post
    I dont understand how people can pick Joe Satriani.
    He`s just another guitar geek who invested thousands of hours in technique while loosing the feel, the point of guitar playing.Its shred fest all over the place. I listen to tunes and when it ends I have question- now what? What did you want to say? I get no emotion from that.And he has mastered only guitar.

The reason why I love Nirvana, Dylan etc is because they made something that could connect to other people and that is THE CHALLENGE to any artist. That is why these bands/artists have made impact and will inspire till the end of the world. There is lack of songwriters. People call rock music with melodies as cheap trick

Came here to say something along these lines. The artists that most people are naming, I might like their music but I would say they are still far from the greatest living. The question is what makes the greatest living. Nirvana isn't one musician. The group all had input into the final product. Lemmy's personality got Motorhead to where they are but I wouldn't say he's an exceptionally talented musician. On the same thread of though - there are all of the big guitar virtuosos but are they as good on piano or any other instrument? Do they have the personality to push and get their music published and heard around the world? When they do get published and heard, did they actually have anything to say?

noting all of this, I don't think there is one greatest, living or otherwise.

Deleted
    Gilvoth> Lem' tought Sid Vicous how to play bass, though. Yet, I agree he's more of a badass figure than a talented musician, even though I'd be unable to play any of his riffs considering I can barely play bass.

I'd like to add Kerry King for badassery/talent, and Serj Tankian and Dave Grohl for talent only

Deleted
    Not taking into account people who used to make music but now stopped I'd say.... I dunno... maybe Andrew W.K?

Quote Originally Posted by Caligulove View Post
    I agree. Nirvana wasnt only Cobain.

But my point was, so called musicians have lost/havent got it. I cant define it but look in to music of Cobain, Dylan, The Doors and many others.
    There is this, whether believer of things like this or not, soul. Honesty and his/her/their views/struggles given to us. I miss that.
    Only few bands have come around and actually combined this soul with skill, Led Zeppelin to mention one. Thats why I dont find anything impressive beyong fast fingers in Malmsteem, Satriani . There are a lot of these skillful guitarists but they are just guitarists. Yes I said, Satriani and Co is just a guitarist.
    Knew what you meant mentioning them, just an example. Same could be said for Zeppelin but lesser extent. There was pretty high level of personal style and skill to each of the members of that band. I have come to respect Dave Grohl's work though - Foo Fighters originally being a one man band, Them Crooked Vultures, work with Trent Reznor... He does a lot...

Also agree on the level of it. Amy Winehouse was actually a good artist for that reason. She caught a lot of shit for her drug/alcohol abuse but she really was talented.

Thats why I love blues. There just is something about self-taught, imperfect, out of tune signing and playing.
    Thanks for that. I forget blues exists sometimes. Had to load up B.B. King and Stevie Ray Vaughan on my Spotify...

Bon Jovi <3

Quote Originally Posted by SyrahGrunt View Post
    Obviously Lemmy...
    That shit on his cheek got shit on its cheek, man :/

Yep. David Gilmour.

Deleted
    only one legend and that's the boss, Bruce Springsteen

Miika Tenkula. RIP!