Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    So basically, Humans are significant because we are here. If we died out the universe would cease to exist. It doesn't matter if there are life on other planets in thousands upon thousands of galaxy nor does it matter how significant they feel to the universe as we apparently need a source with 100% fact that proves there are other lifeforms out there even though we do not have the technology to inspect every corner of our own sector on a whim.

What has the human race accomplished outside of earth? Universe is this huge-o place, and less than a fraction of it we have been busy destroying.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    not really. Humans are around 2.4 million years old. The earth is 4.54 billion years old. That means our entirety on this planet is less than 0.0006%. There are more ants living now than there have been humans in total. We are 1 planet in a potential 400,000,000,000 and 4,000,000,000,000 just in our galaxy alone which is 1 in 125,000,000,000. We are not significant in any stretch except to ourselves, which makes us significant in our own eyes.
    Why do numbers matter? Especially in the way you're suggesting? If anything our low population is a greater testament to our significance. It makes us unique. And our "1 in 4,000,000,000,000 planet" also happens to be the only planet known to have life. A special snowflake.

(I know i just contradicted my last post, but, like i said, im playing devils advocate.

I think you are taking him too literally. What he's trying to say is that if (hypothetically) if we're the only one's aware of the universe in its current state, then it can only be what we're aware that is true. Basically it only exists to us since no other being knows it exists.

I hope I'm on the right track but I'm sure Typrax could help explain his thoughts better.

- zael

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    What the OP is saying: Humans have awareness. Whether or not we created it is moot--It exists because humans exist. And because awareness exists, the universe also exists. As we all know, without awareness, nothing is known to exist with any certainty unless said anything has been, or is being, observed by an aware species (Since no proof of other life currently exists, that species would be Humans). So if we're not aware of something, it doesnt exist.

Now this is true, to an extent... If you're not aware there's two sides to a closed door, then to you, the other side, or half, of that door, doesnt exist. Without the other side of said door ever, at any point, being observed by an aware entity, then there is no proof or even an idea, of what the other side is, if it even exists. It could very well be a wall, and we only think it's a door--There really is no other side to it. It doesnt matter if you've seen 125,000,000,000,000,000,00 other doors because until you've observed the other side of this one, if it even is a door, then all you have is speculation.

So while math tells us the sheer size of our universe makes other 'aware' life not a possibility but an eventuality, until you meet it this other life, it's just speculation.

In that sense... Humans are significant.

Now that the OP's position is clarified; I think the guy, or girl, is a troll and this thread serves little purpose in the way of intelligent, meaningful or even constructive discussion... Bring on the cake!
    Last edited by Myrrar; 2011-09-03 at 03:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthras View Post
    I think you are taking him too literally. What he's trying to say is that if (hypothetically) if we're the only one's aware of the universe in its current state, then it can only be what we're aware that is true. Basically it only exists to us since no other being knows it exists.

I hope I'm on the right track but I'm sure Typrax could help explain his thoughts better.

- zael
    If that's what he is saying, then the universe is significant to US, not the other way around. We would need to interact with another sentient race for humans to have any significance on the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    If you have anything further to add, that would be great. Otherwise, just don't post at all

Thus far your only real line of argument has been "the universe didn't exist until humans did because no on else was selfaware", bullshit(all that means is no one was around to appreciate the idea of existence not that nothing existed), and pretty much that we are significant............ well because you say we're significant. The reality is is that if we were to be wiped completely off the face of the universe even our own tiny planet would barely remember us in the grand scheme of things let alone the rest of the universe. In the totality of existence humans are significant only to ourselves and even then......./shrug most of us aren't significant at all except through our collective endeavors as a specie.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

- zael

10+ Year Old Account
    I want some of whatever OP is on. It seems to be some high quality stuff.

We'll be significant when we've made an impact on something other then ourselves. We've yet to do that. The universe existed before us, and it will after us, and nothing will change except we won't be there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamok View Post
    Lol life on other planets. I don't think the bible mentions other life, could be wrong.
    Actually according to the bible WE are aliens and this is not our planet.

- zael
    Yeah I kind of get what he is saying. But i think it should be expanded from just humans to consciousness in general. The guy's not saying that without humans the universe will explode. But rather, what is the universe if it is not being perceived?

For example; Imagine the entire universe. Now imagine it without using any of your senses. You can't possibly be imagining anything at this point because your senses are your only way to perceive anything. Nothing. Now imagine the universe had no forms of consciousness anywhere. Without anything to perceive it it's just nothing. Of course it is still there, but who gives a fuck?

- zael
    It doesn't matter whether he meant in the philosophical sense that if no one is aware theres a universe then there is no universe or if he meant in the literal sense that without someone being aware that the universe existed then the universe would implode.

The universe will live on unscathed with or without humans. That is beyond any scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Quote Originally Posted by Kathion View Post
    Actually according to the bible WE are aliens and this is not our planet.
    Now i am curious. Where is this? (i mean not to be rude or disprove you, for i am ignorant to this matter, merely intrigued)

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Now i am curious. Where is this? (i mean not to be rude or disprove you, for i am ignorant to this matter, merely intrigued)
    I'm not entirely sure, I'm an atheist myself but this is one of the things my overly religious dad used to explain to me. I do know this, if you ever seen a sticker on the back of someones car that says NOTW with interlocking letters, its a Christian thing. It literally stands for "Not Of This World." I see them a lot

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you really think about it anyway, we're all just bits and pieces of matter shaped into a certain form. Even when we "die", it merely becomes part of something else in space, detectable to us or not.

Significant and insignificant are just words. We're not the most important thing to happen to reality, but just as important as anything else that exist.

Sounds like someone is trying to justify their own existance when in fact their life means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Also from a universal perspective no we are not significant in anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    um no. I'm saying that on a time frame, our existence is tiny, on a number frame, our existence is tiny, on the universal scale, our existence is tiny, and if you wanna get existential on it, our existence is completely and unequivocally unimportant as our life, death, existence and destruction will have absolutely no baring on the entirety of the universe. It's scary for some people to understand that but we are nothing in a sea of nothing on a planet of nothing in a solar system of nothing in a galaxy of nothing in a universe of nothing. So grab a chair, get drunk and enjoy yourself

That is beyond stupid. Just because the human race hasnt done anything "huge" yet doesnt mean it wont happen in the future. Think about how much technology we have made in just the last 100 years. Imagine ten thousand more years of advancements, we could be a very huge power in the universe if we stop being stupid and work towards gaining knowledge and advancing our species. That should be our focus not money and greed for power.

Everyone needs to open their minds a little.
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2011-09-03 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathion View Post
    I'm not entirely sure, I'm an atheist myself but this is one of the things my overly religious dad used to explain to me. I do know this, if you ever seen a sticker on the back of someones car that says NOTW with interlocking letters, its a Christian thing. It literally stands for "Not Of This World." I see them a lot
    Ah. I know in the apocrypha(i think that is it), there is the book of ezekial, which states pretty clearly god coming down to earth in a space ship. But thats about all i knew on part of aliens, other than maybe subjective ideas on what people see heaven as, and maybe something to do with eden.

In any case, let us not stray off topic. The moderators will thoroughly pwn this place.

This is what the Earth and Moon look like from 9 million miles away (less than 1/10 the distance to the Sun):

Think about it.