Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    russian/mandarin/norwegian/german if you want something that'll help you.
    Spanish/italian/french if you just want to learn a language.
    Last edited by Myrlae; 2011-09-05 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denegaar View Post
    Do you understand finnish knowing norwegian/swedish? I thought finnish was way different :S

I'm spanish and I can talk/understand english pretty well... and now I'm studying Deutsch because you know, a lot of countries in Europe uses it as official language (Switzerland, Austria, Germany...). I think is the best option behind english. French is good too, but I don't like it... and spanish sucks, visiting Spain is only worth for vacation.
    it is... but as i said the 3 nordic languages... being danish, swedish and norwegian - they are pretty much alike but norwegians understand the two others than vice versa... Finnish is not a nordic language but a sammi language or smth i think... Icelandic is not nordic eventhough they wanna be!

Well the 5 big ones are English, Mandarin, Spanish, French and German. Arabic is pretty huge too depending on where you travel

Too bad about the teacher as Spanish is probably the most useful after English.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    No offense but, what can you use french for? you can basically "only" use it in France, while german is usefull in all the center of europe. Not because i am spanish, but i think learning spanish is a bit more usefull than french, and look, don't come to Spain cos it's really fucked up atm, but still, is the most spoken language with english.

Tho, if you like France, go ahead!
    Not true at all, it is very widely spoken. Don't forget that France once had a huge empire, their language is widely spread. Same for English and German in Europe and Africa. Spanish in the Americas.

Deleted
    Im challenging you to learn Danish :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sangomah View Post
    Well the 5 big ones are English, Mandarin, Spanish, French and German. Arabic is pretty huge too depending on where you travel

Too bad about the teacher as Spanish is probably the most useful after English.
    While I agree on the huge usefulness of Spanish in the US, I think if you stay in Europe, it's at most as useful as the other big central european languages (french, german, italian)
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    it is... but as i said the 3 nordic languages... being danish, swedish and norwegian - they are pretty much alike but norwegians understand the two others than vice versa... Finnish is not a nordic language but a sammi language or smth i think... Icelandic is not nordic eventhough they wanna be!
    For some reason I was thinking about those three Nordic countries (Sweden, Norway and Finland), and not languages, my fault indeed. A far as I know, Finnish is related with Hungarian and that stuff...

Deleted
    i would say German or French, the 2nd and 3rd most important languages in Europe IMO, and theyre pretty simmilar from what i hear so not that hard to learn, but useful languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwutty View Post
    Yes, it's a pedagogical studies, but it's in the "best" university in Bulgaria - the one of our capital Sofia.. I don't think it's provincial! And none taken.

Other than that - thanks!
    Perhaps then it was just the instructor you had for Spanish that was so provincial hehe.

You could always consider Romanian/Moldovan and work in the wine industry :P

I think based on everything known so far that Italian would be my choice for you if the instructor is acceptable. But it really depends in the end on you. I suggest that with the top 3 choices you are considering, that you go visit the instructors and see a copy of the curriculum and books for the course and see which seems better for you.

Deleted
    Probvai nemski - its hard,but if you learn this one the others may seem easier(atleast thats what I was told when I started it).

Deleted
    Go for what you like, I hate Spanish and French and I would never want to learn those, but other people love them.

Go and learn what ya like. But if you want to learn a language that is most useful you should learn either German or Mandarin, maybe Russian.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinesun View Post
    You could always consider Romanian/Moldovan and work in the wine industry :P

I suggest that with the top 3 choices you are considering, that you go visit the instructors and see a copy of the curriculum and books for the course and see which seems better for you.
    Hehe
    And that's a great suggestion, might do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Theold2 View Post
    Im challenging you to learn Danish :P
    Oh noooooooo..

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingdan View Post
    OP, is that you in your profile pic?
    I don't get what this has to do with anything in this topic.. :/

@Techno -
    "Maybe we wouldn't keep getting hurt if we just expected the worst.."

"Smiling doesn't always mean you're happy. Sometimes, it simply means you are a strong person"

Deleted
    First of all it depends on your studies , Generaly if the thing you study is pretty serius and not something like web design you should seriously consider learning greek , and mostly ancient greek , you 'll understund every sientific term alot easier with it , anyway if you want a time waster ... umm i like mexican spanish !! act like mexican gansta after !!

or jewish , they 'll help in business
    Last edited by mmoc8f8123fe6b; 2011-09-05 at 02:10 PM.

Hehe
    And that's a great suggestion, might do that!
    So are you planning to be a TESOL instructor eventually? If so, welcome to the club.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinesun View Post
    So are you planning to be a TESOL instructor eventually? If so, welcome to the club.
    Either that or get Master's in Translation and go from there..
    "Maybe we wouldn't keep getting hurt if we just expected the worst.."

"Smiling doesn't always mean you're happy. Sometimes, it simply means you are a strong person"

15+ Year Old Account
    You should go for Chinese (Mandarin, or whatever) or French imo. These are, next to English and Spanish, spoken the most worldwide. French is easy to learn (from my own experience, but also easy to unlearn) and when French is the mother tongue of someone, prepare to speak to them in French because most refuse to learn English. I don't know much about Chinese though. Oh, and Italian is fun too and such a beautiful language.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably go for German.

15+ Year Old Account
    German is spoken a lot in central Europe, is quite difficult but at least you pronounce it as you write it.
    French is widely spoken in former colonies, mostly africa , but also Belgium, Switzerland, and Canada, would be less difficult than german but like english, spelling varies a lot and that's sometimes disturbing, if you already speaks english you will find that english shares a lot of vocubulary with french it will be very helpfull (much more that deutsh and of course german wich are also germanic languages)
    Spanish is enormously spoken in americas, spoken in the US but you don't really need it there.
    Italian is only spoken in Italy and a little of Switzerland

I would say a latin language is a must when you already speaks a slavic and a germanic language.
    Pick what you prefer or what your studies need.

Either that or get Master's in Translation and go from there..
    If you go with a Masters in Translation, remember that its not always enough for a good job. Skills or experience in another field that has a need for translation makes you more marketable, especially if you plan to do technical or business based translation as a background in said business or tech will be good.

With teaching, some schools outside of Bulgaria will consider hiring you to teach both ESL and or possibly your native language. I know someone who got a Masters in TESOL who is working for a public school district in Vermont. She doesnt teach ESL but actually is in charge of 5 schools Mandarin Chinese program because she's a native speaker of it and has the MA-TESOL. Of course (and again no offense) Bulgarian isnt a high prestige/demand language so this may be more of a challenge but I could see schools or places in your region that arent in Bulgaria but have interests and needs for your native language instruction plus English too.

No one's mentioned it yet, but I always thought Portuguese was pretty cool. I like trying to talk with Brazilians in my broken wow-Portuguese, it's a fun challenge.
    I'm a buff baby that can dance like a man,
    I can shake-ah my fanny, I can shake-ah my can
    I'm a tough tootin' baby, i can punch-ah yo' buns
    Punch-ah yo buns, I can punch all yo buns
    If you're an evil witch, I will punch you for fun!