Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by orcshaman24 View Post
    It really does come down to Metzens decison on the story. Knaak interprates the story in his own way, but the plot, the twists, the characters decisons, all comes from metzens own choices for the story.
    Ah thanks for the explanation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Sounds like an adrenalin rush. Nothing supernatural. Focus during a crazy battle is a technique used in films a lot too. Where the sound dies down, the two opponents look at each other and then fight sword to sword or fist to fist or whatever. Ignoring the blaze of battle isn't very DBZish. O_o Well....from what I know at least. Unless his hair grows 3 feet longer and turns gold....I think the OP over exaggerated that part way too much.
    Thats a weak excuse, varian somehow running across half of ashenvale while killing horde all around him and then beating garrosh while even varian "doesnt know whats happening" reeks of some dbz/godrin powerup :/

From the sounds of it I have a question for Blizzard: if you wouldn't hire a model designer who couldn't make a decent model, why would you hire a writer who couldn't write a decent book? Seriously, not quite sure how or why he was able to win is a shitty story-telling device. I don't mind Garrosh bringing in Proto-Drakes or Magnataurs (though how did he bend them to his will?..) as they would be effective weapons but I can't reconcile Garrosh's Orcish pride with that. Also consider Garrosh's leader story, role in The Shattering (yet to read Twilight of the Aspects *yet*) and the quests he appears in and it seems like he is growing more humble — yet here it seems he is even more proud.

Well, actually I can see a role for Knaak in Blizzard's writing department — Knaak writes books that are perfect for 8-14 year-old children ie. action packed but plot-holed, absurd and screwing with lore (admittedly the Dragonflights were an awesome idea and my only commendation for him), so why not have him write WoW books about characters who aren't established (or not well established), not in roles of faction leadership and doing something more concerned with action. Hell Knaak would make tons of money without screwing lore if he wrote books about groups of adventurers coming together and taking on the raids. It allows Blizz to make money from Knaak, allows Knaak to make something canonical and brings in raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomina View Post
    With Garrosh it's been obvious since the beginning. He has always felt like he had to prove something and in doing so has made some terrible decisions.

This type of behavior from the Horde is a major step backwards in their character development, turning them into aggressive monsters again. We go from Thrall trying to make trade deals with the Night Elves to help with food issues to Garrosh trying to kill them all off en route to taking over Azeroth.

Perhaps Varian and Thrall will team up to take down this monster and in doing so realize that they need each in some odd way to maintain peace on the planet.

Only thing that is clear is that Garrosh has made his intentions known. It's War.
    I'm fairly certain the "It's a War" part was established since the Shattering. Garrosh knows this and knows what he needs to do. Sadly, this book is utterly decimating any character development Garrosh had in the previous book and IS making him look like a bloodthirsty monster whereas he was a thinking, feeling, though raging, beast previously.

Blizzard better redeem Garrosh before its too late. I'm getting sick of books establishing character development when they have a perfectly good medium to do so in their game. Same thing with Varian. I'm hoping against hope Varian won't become another Thrall who is 'bigger than the mortal's petty conflicts'.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    If Maiev ever makes it into the game as a raid boss I will unsub and uninstall the game the second I hear about it. She's pretty much the only cool female character left and I'd hate seeing her die in such a way. Actually, I'd hate seeing her die in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenosege View Post
    Thats a weak excuse, varian somehow running across half of ashenvale while killing horde all around him and then beating garrosh while even varian "doesnt know whats happening" reeks of some dbz/godrin powerup :/
    Alright we'll play your little game. Your excuse was weak. Haha! Excuse attacks! BAM eat that! Half of Ashenvale? Now you guys are really exaggerating.

Remeber though. The OP SPECIFICALLY says the unrealistic part is "manages to completely fight Garrosh off despite not quite understanding how." There's nothing about rushing halfway across the zone to get to Garrosh. I imagine he made eye contact before rushing at him. He could have slowly fought his way through the Horde for all we know. The OP certainly didn't say that part was out of the question. And its probably courtesy or whatever to let the leaders have a fair fight without interference from a bunch of underlings. Didn't Garrosh just say something about honorable fighting earlier in the book?

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between Nagrand and your dreams
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Why do i have a feeling that all of this Horde conquering attitude is being set for a major downfall, be it from within or out?
    for sure. Garrosh's ways is something dreged up from the past, but its something the horde isn't meant to represent now. This book paints the horde as the bad guys, the opponent for Varian, the night elves and worgen to defeat, and shows Garrosh as a true warmonger who wants to conquer the world, even believeing what he's doing as something rightous. All this is set up for something major.

And its probably courtesy or whatever to let the leaders have a fair fight without interference from a bunch of underlings. Didn't Garrosh just say something about honorable fighting earlier in the book?
    Didn't you know? Garrosh's version of honor alternates to suit him as he pleases, like turning a light switch on and off. So he can kill people and claim he does it with honor, and then burns down there towns and cities without any defenders and again claim its with honor.
    Last edited by orcshaman24; 2011-09-10 at 05:08 PM.
    "The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn."

So Varians now the mary sue aye?
    I know I shouldn't joke, but I'll not deny my sense of satisfaction in that

Since you like to label characters "Mary Sue's". I know a certain Orc Shaman who is probably the biggest Mary Sue of all.
    I know you'll go on and on with reasons why he isn't, but c'mon...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaela View Post
    If Maiev ever makes it into the game as a raid boss I will unsub and uninstall the game the second I hear about it. She's pretty much the only cool female character left and I'd hate seeing her die in such a way. Actually, I'd hate seeing her die in any way.
    Why didn't you unsub and uninstall the game the second you saw Maiev's crazy thirst for vengeance in WC3? She was always that way, at least from the moment we saw her. She was always crazy, she always had superiority complexes, she always detested everyone that wasn't her. That's who she is. Some may agree that's what makes her cool, but raid boss status was the only natural progression for her in an MMO.

Didn't you know? Garrosh's version of honor alternates to suit him as he pleases, like turning a light switch on and off. So he can kill people and claim he does it with honor, and then burns down there towns and cities without any defenders and again claim its with honor.
    Touche.

But for the sake of making sense, we'll just say it was in the On position for the 1 on 1 duel.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    It seems Garrosh's delusions of grandeur has become part of his character. He actully now thinks Thrall would want this what he's doing. He's set on now looking to conquer the world like a true tyrent.
    Seems Garrosh is setup for a major fall, just like I hoped.

As I've said before, Garrosh is basicly there means to raising Grom from the grave.
    Aye, the Garrosh angle seems really interesting.... Though a bit sad, I mean really.... Another bloodhungry berserker who thinks he's doing the right thing? *Groan* Oh and of course does Tyrande get shot and retreats, this is a Knaak book after all.... /facepalm
    Last edited by Venziir; 2011-09-10 at 05:15 PM.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonballz View Post
    Since you like to label characters "Mary Sue's". I know a certain Orc Shaman who is probably the biggest Mary Sue of all.
    I know you'll go on and on with reasons why he isn't, but c'mon...
    If you say so. But Varians now become the poster boy for knaak, and he's already sued out in this book at the end of it. Almighty wolf powers, yes, he has become Liono!
    "The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn."

10+ Year Old Account
    The news about Maiev makes me very excited! I can't wait to cannibalize her corpse.

And then devil kirby comes and kills them all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpVULlSxeEQ
    "The sky's will rain fire." "The oceans will boil." "The streets will run red with the blood of billions only then when your last pitiful hope is extinguished will I end your life lets go."

10+ Year Old Account
    If you say so. But Varians now become the poster boy for knaak, and he's already sued out in this book at the end of it. Almighty wolf powers, yes, he has become Liono!
    THUNDERCATS! HOOO!....

<Ahem> i mean, ALLIANCE! HOOO!!!!
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    "The Warchief turned his dripping axe to Varian. Without a word, the pair renewed their duel. Blood from those who had gotten in their way splattered the human and the orc, but neither paid attention to anything but the other.

Horns sounded. Alliance horns. They grew more dominating, though Garrosh did not notice that. What he did notice was that his breathing was growing more ragged. He had expected to slay Varian Wrynn by now and raise the human's severed head for all the hapless Alliance to see. Because of that, he had exerted himself harder than he usually did.

"But this human has come an impossible distance!" the orc angrily reminded himself. "He should be the weary one! He should be unable to even lift his sword..."

Varian, though, looked as fresh of energy as he had when first they had met. The human's eyes remained unwavering.

Garrosh realized that he had far underestimated the human. This king possessed the fury of an orc and, through him, the defenders seemed to have gained that fury as well.

And only then did the warchief truly see that the stories he had heard about Varian Wrynn were true. Lo'Gosh did smile with favor on this human, and why not? They were of a kind. Here was one who had the head of a great and determined hunter, a great and determined warrior.

The heart of a wolf.

"I have been a fool!" the Warchief knew then. "I should've planned an even greater, more brutal thrust! With such a leader, the Alliance may even take eastern Ashenvale back!"

Unmindful of what went on in his adversary's thoughts, Varian further pressed his attack. He saw Garrosh give ground and knew that the orc did not do so as part of some sinister strategy. The advantage had turned to Varian's.

Varian slashed. It was an attack a weary Garrosh knew that he could parry, but his arm moved a fraction slower than it was wont.

Shalamayne dug into the upper arm, striking tensed muscle.

Garrosh's entire arm shook. The Warchief's grip momentarily failed. Gorehowl slipped from his twitching fingers and fell to the ground.

Varian pulled back to strike---and an ear-shattering roar overwhelmed both fighters. Varian and Garrosh looked up to see another magnataur come rushing down on them. Worgen scurried over his body as he sought to escape their savage attacks. The worgen had taken Varian's tactics to heart and had improved on them, for as the behemoth reached the pair, his ravaged front legs gave out and he pitched forward.

Varian threw himself back. With his good hand, Garrosh risked life and limb to seize Gorehowl. As the shadow of the plummeting magnataur rushed over him, he leapt.

The stricken monster rolled to one side, but the Worgen only clambered to safer ground, then resumed their relentless shredding. The hind legs kicked wildly, forcing Varian to back farther away.

Garrosh pushed himself to his feet. He searched for the human, but the struggling magnataur blocked his view.

Rage refueling his strength, the warchief began running to the back of the beast. He would find Varian Wrynn again and this time there would be a decisive---

"Warchief!" Another of his Kor'kron stepped in front of him. Garrosh tried to shove the fool aside but suddenly two other hands seized him.

There's the majority of their fight scene.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Aye, the Garrosh angle seems really interesting.... Though a bit sad, I mean really.... Another bloodhungry berserker who thinks he's doing the right thing? *Groan*
    Dude I'm happy enough with it, given it just confirmed something I thought all this time, that Garrosh was created and set up to take a fall. It seems Metzen needed something to paint the horde as the badies in this expansion, and this book makes it more then obvious of his plan now, just from Garrosh's ideal alone.

The heart of a wolf.
    omg, lol, so he has become the, how best to put it, the living scion of lo'gosh? Varians now super wolf king. And he raises his sword in the air and yells 'I HAVE THE POWER!'

Maybe we should start calling Garrosh Mumra or Skeletor.
    Last edited by orcshaman24; 2011-09-10 at 05:19 PM.

Honestly, Maeiv has always been bat-shit crazy. She was never a 'good guy' and she never trusted any race but the night elves. I'de argue that Knakk had zerot o do with Maeiv going crazy and villanous. It was bound to happen. It saddens me that people would actually just blatantly bash Maeivs character development because of Knakk. Many of the events that take place make a lot of sense; i'm glad Varian didn't open his arms and accept Genn immedeatly. I'de say itstill sounds like Blizzard is hating on the alliance(quite usual as of late), and Knakk 'loves the alliance'...probably one of the least knakk-like books ever.

Varian getting more super human power-ups out of thin air. Great.

So....any chance you could explain how some one ended up INSIDE a Mechanostrider? Really I am on the edge of my seat trying to figure this out! O_O

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 05:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    Varian getting more super human power-ups out of thin air. Great.
    He didn't get super powers! >_< He hit him on the arm! There's nothing super about that!