Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

FPS Games for PC or Console?

hi i've always played fps games like cod and bf2 on ps3 and was wondering am i missing out on much by not buying them on pc? i'm a fairly good fps gamer my k/d on cod is over 2/1 and i'm just worried i will suck at it on pc because i've only played mmo's for pc and nothing else.

Different playstyles (mouse/keyboard vs controller) is all you're missing out on. The actual gameplay is extremely similar, so if you enjoy playing on a console, play on a console.

I prefer console games in general, but RTS or FPS games have to be PC.

Some FPS on PS3 are keyboard + mouse compatible however. That's what the USB slots are for.

I prefer keyboard and mouse for aiming.

As far as you sucking at it.... I can't call it. You could just be naturally good at aiming or you could find the learning curve a bit harsh.

I know a lot of people argue that consoles dont have aiming friction, but most of the games on consoles do (not saying this to start this argument nor will I reply to anyone singling this particular sentence out). If you lean heavily on that for assistance then you will find your overall accuracy lacking.

Again, you won't know unless you try. TF2 is free on steam and it's can give you an idea of keyboard and mouse aiming, though it's not like BF or COD due to the lack of ADS but at least it costs you nothing to give it a go.

The big issue with FPS games on the PC is boiled down to "Money first, skill second." While that's not to say that Money>Skill, but there is a 3rd entity in the room with this discussion.

The main thing you would be "missing out on" with console vs pc would probably only be limited to Mod community and survivability and community. In general, bearing exceptions to every rule, pc communities seem to last forever for games including FPS titles. This inherently means, you're $60 investment for that new title is going to last much longer on the multiplayer aspect than it will on a console.

If none of that either bothers you or you feel has any relevance to you, then you're missing nothing with the console.

I personally dislike KB+M setup for controls in FPSs. It feels like I have more control of my movement on a console, instead of just 8-way.

Quote Originally Posted by blackangel209 View Post
    I personally dislike KB+M setup for controls in FPSs. It feels like I have more control of my movement on a console, instead of just 8-way.
    Yeah, this is basically it. Analog stick is superior to keyboard movement, but mouse aiming is usually better than analog aiming. Basically just different playstyles. The one significant advantage the PC has is the mod community.

http://reviews.logitech.com/7061/288...ws/reviews.htm

When they map buttons correctly, they are great, and imo a must for a big ROM collection. Takes care of that whole KB/M problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Yeah, this is basically it. Analog stick is superior to keyboard movement, but mouse aiming is usually better than analog aiming. Basically just different playstyles. The one significant advantage the PC has is the mod community.
    Not flaming but there's nothing to support this. By and large, due to simple numbers, wasd or a typical set up using any 3rd part gaming keypad, gives you more given control per second than a controller. The argument of "precision" rests only with the users. As it's been stated before, on a keyboard, given a typical setting, you have 3 fingers able to react in a multiple range of movement at fractions of the speed or fluidity it would take for a controller. That being said, it still doesn't really mean one is better than the other, and more of that has to do with the games. Games on consoles have a pre programmed "auto target hit box" generally set much higher than PCs. The main reason for this is due to the limited amount of precision capable with a controller.

So in a way, it would go to say that the controller is a more limited device but in the end users hand it really matters little. A good example of this would be any modern FPS on Windows in which you can apply the 360 controller for your PC. It can easily be seen that it is actually up to the software over the hardware, but that is sort of what leads back into the original on going issue of PC vs Console anyway.

And just to avoid any further conflict on this. I'll pose the option for anyone who can provide a video link to any "top" team play in which they are using controllers over KB+mouse in a high level competition.
    Last edited by hakujinbakasama; 2011-09-18 at 02:54 AM.

PC. Better graphics, better community, better everything.
    - wyrd bið ful aræd -

I know many that couldn't when they should because they didn't want when they could.

^^ plus the lack of aim assist which is console's way of compromising for an inferior interface

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    And just to avoid any further conflict on this. I'll pose the option for anyone who can provide a video link to any "top" team play in which they are using controllers over KB+mouse in a high level competition.
    I'm not going to bother taking the time to find links, but there were tests done that show that medium tier FPS gamers on the PC dominated the top ranked console players. I think Microsoft did it.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Not flaming but there's nothing to support this. By and large, due to simple numbers, wasd or a typical set up using any 3rd part gaming keypad, gives you more given control per second than a controller. The argument of "precision" rests only with the users. As it's been stated before, on a keyboard, given a typical setting, you have 3 fingers able to react in a multiple range of movement at fractions of the speed or fluidity it would take for a controller. That being said, it still doesn't really mean one is better than the other, and more of that has to do with the games. Games on consoles have a pre programmed "auto target hit box" generally set much higher than PCs. The main reason for this is due to the limited amount of precision capable with a controller.

So in a way, it would go to say that the controller is a more limited device but in the end users hand it really matters little. A good example of this would be any modern FPS on Windows in which you can apply the 360 controller for your PC. It can easily be seen that it is actually up to the software over the hardware, but that is sort of what leads back into the original on going issue of PC vs Console anyway.

I specifically said mouse precision was better than analog, no idea what the hell you're flipping out about. But 360 degree movement is automatically more precise than simple 8-direction movement, and that kind of precision is better for everything that isn't FPS. It doesn't make a huge difference either way in non-FPS games, unlike what people pretend it does, so this entire argument is retarded.

Also, making lots of generalizations and observations based on personal anecdotes, then asking for proof is lol.

Deleted
    FPS MMO's and RTS games are meant to be played on the PC nothing else, retard companys just develop shit fps games for console cause of their sales not cause its better. Fifa and NHL are typical console games.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I specifically said mouse precision was better than analog, no idea what the hell you're flipping out about. But 360 degree movement is automatically more precise than simple 8-direction movement, and that kind of precision is better for everything that isn't FPS. It doesn't make a huge difference either way in non-FPS games, unlike what people pretend it does, so this entire argument is retarded.

Also, making lots of generalizations and observations based on personal anecdotes, then asking for proof is lol.
    I love how you completely ignore everything you say in your own posts even when people (or myself as it were) quotes you. Then when they go back and re-quote you, you just simply ignore them.

Just because something can do 360 degrees doesn't mean you or anyone else has the ability to utilize it with an equatable amount of precision. I mean, are you going to next state how the D pad on the Xbox 360 has a 360 degree measurement and thus it's great for precision as well? Because I'm pretty sure at that point you'd have an absolute flooding of people beating you down with examples of how you're wrong. Just because something "has" the ability doesn't mean it does it well.

Not only that, but you're pretty cheeky in your way of trying to separate the difference between "aiming" and "movement" when any one who has half a clue with FPS's will tell you that are equally important. Aiming isn't just when you're sitting still. You're fluidity of movement when running forward and the need to do a quick 180 degree turn, fire, then rotate back to fire again is all an issue of "control" not a separation of "movement and then aiming over there."

And since you've basically proven time and time again to be completely lost in simple subtext, my point ending that post wasn't for someone to provide proof but rather pointing out that it cannot be found in a big bite of the thumb. It was a simply "lol lol lol lol" with regards to this whole debate since no one has ever seen someone who is considered "pro" to risk their payday on a "controller" when a keyboard and mouse is on the table. But I guess that little slap of reality was just too offensive to you.

He's not asking which way is "better", he's asking if there is anything he's missing.

So realistically, if he's the type that sits down, plays for a bit and then does something else (i.e. not a serious player, just plays for fun), you just have to look at the actual game itself. The actual difference comes in graphics and that's pretty much it. Yes you can have aim-assist on consoles, but since you've already been playing on them I'd assume that's something that doesn't matter to you.

Basically, you're missing out on nothing by playing it on a console and should play it on whichever platform you feel more comfortable playing.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    He's not asking which way is "better", he's asking if there is anything he's missing.

So realistically, if he's the type that sits down, plays for a bit and then does something else (i.e. not a serious player, just plays for fun), you just have to look at the actual game itself. The actual difference comes in graphics and that's pretty much it. Yes you can have aim-assist on consoles, but since you've already been playing on them I'd assume that's something that doesn't matter to you.

Basically, you're missing out on nothing by playing it on a console and should play it on whichever platform you feel more comfortable playing.
    Which, in my first post, I commented that there were only 3 things he was considered to be "missing out on." Mod community, player community, and longevity of the games he/she purchases. Which, again, probably don't really provide the justification that it takes to get into the PC market but they are still relevant to their question.

PC most likely, Dead space, space marine, both games that have been good 3rd person shooters to when ported to PC.

Also the reason some may find it easier on console, is you get aim assist...thats not really playing a shooter imo if the game is helping you aim.

10+ Year Old Account
    FPS games originated on the PC, thus a keyboard+mouse would always come out superior in reaction timing and precision. If you look at the CoD series, which was made primarily for consoles, you notice players almost always run and gun. This is because they cannot afford to have enemies appear within their rear 180 degree arc, the gamepad does not allow them to turn around very quickly. Also most console FPS have aim assist which is to make up for the lack of precision.

Personally I play only PC games and never on consoles, because ironically all the reasons that make consoles attractive, their benefits and advantages, are either lame excuses or the reason why people shouldnt be playing games in the first place.

Just because something can do 360 degrees doesn't mean you or anyone else has the ability to utilize it with an equatable amount of precision. I mean, are you going to next state how the D pad on the Xbox 360 has a 360 degree measurement and thus it's great for precision as well? Because I'm pretty sure at that point you'd have an absolute flooding of people beating you down with examples of how you're wrong. Just because something "has" the ability doesn't mean it does it well.
    So i guess you are the god and judge of everyone in the worlds skill at using analog sticks for FPS. Im pretty sure your just a butthurt fanboy, he never said anything about a dpad so dont start. 360 direction coupled with Pressure sensitivity is far supiror to keyboards keys. Thats not an opinion its a fact.

Not only that, but you're pretty cheeky in your way of trying to separate the difference between "aiming" and "movement" when any one who has half a clue with FPS's will tell you that are equally important. Aiming isn't just when you're sitting still. You're fluidity of movement when running forward and the need to do a quick 180 degree turn, fire, then rotate back to fire again is all an issue of "control" not a separation of "movement and then aiming over there."
    They are equally important but that still doesnt change the fact that they are sepperate entities, Some games go off aiming more and some go off movement durring firefights more. Halo is a prime example of one where movement is a do or die portion of a firefight. You can aim as good as you want but if you cant move for shit your going to get raped. And then there are games like CS where aiming is 90% of the kill.

someone who is considered "pro" to risk their payday on a "controller" when a keyboard and mouse is on the table.
    Different games again, go play some of the MLG pros or other league pros from the console divisions and you will get your ass handed to you.

Stop trying to pick a fight because of your sense of superiority. Its been stated different feels for different people, no one is better than the other, both have strong points and both have weakpoints.

I'm not going to bother taking the time to find links, but there were tests done that show that medium tier FPS gamers on the PC dominated the top ranked console players. I think Microsoft did it.
    I wish people would stop linking that article, it has absolutely no proof whatsoever, just says from a blog that sources say that MS did this thing and said this about it. Show me real proof and ill beleave it. I still stand by if halo 2 console and halo 2 pc could have faced each other console would have buttfucked pc.

Also the reason some may find it easier on console, is you get aim assist...thats not really playing a shooter imo if the game is helping you aim.
    Not all FPS console games have aim assist, i know plenty that dont.