Page 1 of 2
LastLast

DCUO F2P next month!

http://kotaku.com/5841670/even-dc-co...f-free+to+play

Not going to comment on whether the game was/is dying or not (I know it was struggling, hence merge to superservers), but this pleases me. I like when games go F2P.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's great. I was in beta and enjoyed the game, just not enough to actually go out and buy it. With COH/V and DCUO going F2P, it looks like I'll have my fill of superhero games for quite a while without paying for every single one.

Deleted
    I know it's pretty much an inevitability but I genuinely dislike the free to play model.

Massively so, everyone should pay the same and have exactly the same access to skills etc as everyone else for it to be a fair game.

This is great, I loved this game, but not enough people played it to justify paying a monthly fee.

Quote Originally Posted by hawt09 View Post
    I know it's pretty much an inevitability but I genuinely dislike the free to play model.

Massively so, everyone should pay the same and have exactly the same access to skills etc as everyone else for it to be a fair game.
    Gameplay wise, you don't miss out on "anything" beyond content and convenience with most F2P models. You miss out on some content (which can limit what level of gear you can attain), and things like character slots/bag slots, but all in all you get almost the full experience from F2P.

That being said, if you want to pay the subscription, or purchase things like extra bag slots a'la carte, you can do that too. Nobody is stopping you.

10+ Year Old Account

Here are the payment levels:
    Free
    New players will now have access to the current gameplay in DC Universe Online (including Gotham City, Metropolis, and all current raids and alerts), with the ability to create two characters, join a league and many other benefits. Free level players will be able to purchase downloadable game packs/updates, additional character slots, powers and more through microtransactions.

Premium
    Any player who has spent at least $5 (including former paid subscribers and new players who have purchased $5 of in-game items) will qualify for the Premium access level. Premium level players will have more benefits available to them than the Free level player, including additional character slots, additional inventory slots, and higher cash limits. Downloadable adventure packs, additional character slots, and more can be purchased in-game.

Legendary
    Maximum features and benefits are included at this level. Loaded with enhanced additional features, Legendary access will be available for a $14.99 monthly fee and includes all DLC packs at no cost, more than 15 character slots, more than 80 inventory slots, the ability to form unrestricted-sized leagues, and many other benefits.
    It seems like the only difference is character slots, cost of DLC, inventory size, maximum guild size, AH limits, and trade limits, none of which are really game-effecting. Honestly, I was against F2P games until I tried some and realized not all are the evil Pay2Win type. In fact, most are pretty fairly balanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    This is great, I loved this game, but not enough people played it to justify paying a monthly fee.
    No, not me. I got annoyed with the group system for instances. You don't get a designated tank and healer like in WoW. It's anybody gets grouped up and the harder instances you can't do crap because you don't have a tank or healer.

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    Here are the payment levels:

It seems like the only difference is character slots, cost of DLC, inventory size, maximum guild size, AH limits, and trade limits, none of which are really game-effecting. Honestly, I was against F2P games until I tried some and realized not all are the evil Pay2Win type. In fact, most are pretty fairly balanced.
    Also the reason why I like League of Legends. ^-^

Anyways, seems like a reason to get that DVD out from the pile again. Haven't played it since the 2nd month after launch, might be worth giving it another shot.

Deleted
    I did enjoy my free month in this game. Just jumping from the top of buildings or falling from the sky to crashing into the ground in that epic way was well worth the box price.

I may take another look at the game now. There did not seem to be much to do or anyone else about when i was playing.

Then they should make a game that entices enough people to actually pay for it unfortunately.

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/
    The only things that bothers me is that chat messages is limited to 6 messages per 30 seconds and no ah slots. Looking forward to it!

WOW,

I made this statement back in June.

I went into the game with high hopes which I was still able to hold onto from 1-30 but after reaching level 30, it turned into a mediocre game at best and nothing worth a P2P model. I truly expect this game to be F2P within the year.

Looks like I was not all that far off. October and DCUO goes F2P.

Lol who didn't see this one coming?
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

It's the way the market's going. Completely expected.

Nice! Now I can do repetitive dailies for free!

No but seriously, I'll play it again. I liked the PVP but didn't think it was worth paying 15 bucks a month for.

So by years end we get Star Trek online, DCUO and City of Heroes online in the F2P model.

Not too if you need to kill some time.

I bought a lifetime sub when it first came out. I assume ill be a perm ledgendary user then?

10+ Year Old Account

Awesome game, will definetely start playing it.
    The perfumed* boys he wrapped in chains and threw into the sea. They were unnatural creatures, and the ship smelled better once cleansed of their presence.

*Degenerative Casuals

Deleted
    Wonder how long Rift is going to stick to the subscription model, considering that most of the shards are on low to slightly-medium.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I cancelled after the first month when it came out I might have to check it out and see if the game is better than it was