Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

70 degrees CPU temp

Is this normal? I bought Assasins Creed Brotherhood yesterday, when I was playing it Coretemp reported 65 to 72 degrees. I felt the case and yeah it was hot. Is it normal to be under such a load while playing a game? Will it damage the CPU if I keep it like this for extended periods of time?

Also, today is my birthday. : D

Deleted
    What is your specs? A wild shot in the dark would be that your cooler is malplaced (air bubbles in the paste or put on wrong)

My CPU runs at that while I am playing BC2, it seems to run fine. Also happy birthday!
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    What is your specs? A wild shot in the dark would be that your cooler is malplaced.
    i5 2500
    GTX460
    Corsair XMS RAM 4GB
    Corsair VX 500w
    AsRock DE/S3 Mobo

Deleted
    It's high, but not that high. My i2400 runs at around 40C under load, about 50C under load when heavily overclocked (~3.9ghz). I use the stock cooling, but overall my case is very well cooled with lots of fans, and the room temperature is around 18C.

Deleted
    65+ degrees is quite high, I don't think it would be that high in Assassin's Creed, the cooler is the most obvious issue.

Deleted
    as long as it doesnt reach 100 degrees it should be fine.

Even then it shouldnt do long term damage as most have a auto turn off at 100 degrees to prevent damage. (my current one had this problem, thats how i found out)

Basically its fine, if you want to lower it. Are you using a stock fan? if you are buy a nice phat one and some new thermal paste and replace it. should lower the degrees a fair amount. (when i did this it initially dropped 20 degrees)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortillagirl View Post

Even then it shouldnt do long term damage as most have a auto turn off at 100 degrees to prevent damage. (my current one had this problem, thats how i found out)

Basically its fine, if you want to lower it. Are you using a stock fan? if you are buy a nice phat one and some new thermal paste and replace it. should lower the degrees a fair amount. (when i did this it initially dropped 20 degrees)
    Ah, well maybe I will ask one for my birthday. :P But I am afraid that it won't fit or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    75c is the usual safe spot, if it stays under, you are good!

if it goes over 75c then you may have an issue.

If you are using the stock fan for the CPU, then yes it is a very acceptable temp, just don't do any over clocking without one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by warhead0 View Post

If you are using the stock fan for the CPU, then yes it is a very acceptable temp, just don't do any over clocking without one.
    Yep stock fan, and no i'm not doing overclocking. :P Would be rather hard since I don't have the K version. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by warhead0 View Post

If you are using the stock fan for the CPU, then yes it is a very acceptable temp, just don't do any over clocking with one.
    is what he meant.

Deleted
    that depends on the size of your case, and i might have done that on my first pc i built

Fan was to big for the tower, so bought a new tower

Deleted
    that depends on the size of your case, and i might have done that on my first pc i built

Fan was to big for the tower, so bought a new tower
    I haz a Cooler Master Elite 430 Black tower. :P Without window.

Even then it shouldnt do long term damage as most have a auto turn off at 100 degrees to prevent damage.
    100 degrees -will- damage your CPU, even if it shuts down. They are not designed to take that kind of heat.
    Anything above 80 degrees is dangerous to your CPU. The older AMD models could withstand those temperatures, but not the SandyBridge ones.

In other words OP, your temps are fine. They are slightly higher than a stock 2500K should be running, but that could be due to crooked mounting of the fan, bad paste, bad airflow in the case, etc.

If you want a cheap solution, get a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus. It's a great budget cooler, which will cut at least 10 degrees off that.
    Mine keeps my 2600K nice and cool below 58 degrees at 4.4 GHz.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

As long as your computer doesn't shut itself off, I'd say you're fine at those temps. You may want to replace the cooler somewhere down the line though since once dust starts to build up and the thermal paste gets all crappy, your temps will naturally start to go up little by little.

LOL, SO WEIRD to stumble upon this thread. My PC is like 7 years old and when I built it back in the day, it was always cold and blowing cold air, the case is nice and has perfect airflow...

Recently, I've done some reading about under-clocking/under-volting to save my CPU, it for no reason other than it's old as hell, it's gone up to 122... And as I jokingly told a friend over VENT "how has it not melted yet?" it hit 123 then I get a BSOD and CPU overheat error.

It's gotten so bad I've rigged my PC to where I had to take off my side case with built in fan and actually have a real huge sized house fan pushed in at the right angle to direct harder airflow... Takes it down to about 60-70... The heatsink is so hot to the touch I could cook breakfast!!!

I'd be emo but this thing has lasted me forever so w/e!

So yeah, to me 70 is nothing, if I'm playing LoL and have Firefox open... AND SOMETIMES VENT. It goes from 80-105 and I have to be super careful, I could turn on IGNORE CPU TEMP... But then I wouldn't know if it went over 123 and it would probably physically melt.

I use the CPUID HWMONITOR btw.

As has been said, yeah, 70c really isn't all that strange for a CPU. Mine runs about there when I'm playing a game as well.

If your CPU isn't like, ancient, it should have the mechanism that Tortillagirl mentions. When they reach a certain temperature threshold, they'll kill the computer to prevent burning out. If they don't, then your CPU basically goes up in smoke and is completely unsalvageable. I'm fairly certain that any CPU made within the last few years would have that mechanism, though, so it isn't really something to worry about.

Just keep an eye on your CPU temp, and if it creeps above 75ish then you may want to think about getting it checked out by someone you know who works on computers. Most preferably a friend/family member. You can also take it to a shop, but they're a lot like mechanics in that they'll tell you this this and that is wrong just to cover their asses in case something does go wrong so you can't go back and be like "You just looked at my computer, you should have seen what was wrong!" I have like, three people I know I can count on if something goes wrong with my computer.

Also: post 1,337 whooooo look at me go. *cough*
    Last edited by Oerba Yun Fang; 2011-09-24 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infliction View Post
    LOL, SO WEIRD to stumble upon this thread. My PC is like 7 years old and when I built it back in the day, it was always cold and blowing cold air, the case is nice and has perfect airflow...
    If it's 7 years old, you might want to consider re-applying some cooling paste.
    Also, don't compare the older CPU's to the SandyBridges, they use completely different architectures.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    i5 2500
    GTX460
    Corsair XMS RAM 4GB
    Corsair VX 500w
    AsRock DE/S3 Mobo
    That is way too hot for that CPU. I got the same and I've even OC mine as it is a "K" model to 4.6 Ghz and if I stress it with prima95, I reach a max around 65. On normal use, gaming, doing other stuff it gets to around 50-55 max. Do you run with stockcooler?
    Last edited by Belial; 2011-09-24 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnan View Post
    If it's 7 years old, you might want to consider re-applying some cooling paste.
    Also, don't compare the older CPU's to the SandyBridges, they use completely different architectures.
    FINE MR! OR MRS!

Also, good idea with the paste! Ty.